A Conversation for Genesis - the Band

I remember also...

Post 1

The Duke of Dunstable

...young Rik Mayall saying: "God I'm bored. I might as well be listening to Genesis".


I remember also...

Post 2

TowelMaster

Yeah but that's not fair, I think that comes from The Young Ones and Rick has never uttered on positive word in that series. Besides, does this mean that Rick Mayall could actually imagine anything more boring than Genesis ?


I remember also...

Post 3

The Duke of Dunstable

If I recall correctly this was the episode in which they later played hide and seek, and he didn't think much of that either. Besides, in the beginning of the episode he pretended to be glued to the window by Vyvyan, and he didn't care much about that.


I remember also...

Post 4

TowelMaster

To quote the great Dilbert ; Duh..


I remember also...

Post 5

TowelMaster

Having said that ; I'm sorry, I thought this was the forun for Being Bored. YEAH, let's talk about Genesis ! How Old Are You Out There ? Is there anybody who's seen them before me(1978) ?
Basically there songs are about Boy Meets Girl...


I remember also...

Post 6

Obscure

Yeah I remember the days when they didn't sing about boy meets girl, they were a great band driven to mediocrity by the loss of Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. The days when they were not boring, regardless of what Rik thinks he knows, he wouldn't know 'The Lamb' if it got up and bit him on the bum..


Phil Baby!

Post 7

Nose Hair

There's something very likable about Phil Collins personality and looks, though. Ah, those great 80s videos with the balding, round-headed Phil mugging at the camera. A guy like that can't get on MTV today. What a shame.


Phil Baby!

Post 8

Obscure

I seem to remember a spitting image sketch of Phil, that deserves to be aired everytime someone thinks that Phil is the coolest thing since sliced bread.
Don't get me too wrong, he's a great drummer, and has written some nice stuff, but I like to throw in a few remarks for reaction.
The jibe in the original forum, against the length of time some Genesis tracks are, is odd as I found that to be of the biggest attractions. You could sit down and listen to one song, and not have to get up for 20 minutes to turn the record over, or skip a track that you don't like. Hey, that dates me.


I remember also...

Post 9

ransom

I think I saw them in '77 (at Earls Court in London, if memory serves) on the "Wind and Wuthering" tour. It was Steve Hackett's last performance with them...


I remember also...

Post 10

TowelMaster

Must have been '77 or before because I saw them for the first time in '78 when they did the And then there were three-tour.
I recently joined a newsgroup on Genesis(very briefly) and on the second day I almost drowned in the 300+ emails that were the result. Needless to say that I left that forum IMMeDiAtElY ! At least 90 % of them was about who was the best singer in Genesis.
I don't think Genesis were ever boring but this is ridiculous ! I mean I also have the first five Peter Gabriel CD's, three Steve Hacket cd's, three Ant Philips cd's, etcetera. These songs were the direct result of them leaving Genesis so I think that it could have been much worse.

As for 6-hour songs ; YEAH, get in a little deeper than BoyZone and the likes...
Besides, the longest song they ever wrote was Supper's Ready and that consists of several shorter songs. Hasn't anyone heard about this beautiful '70-invention called a concept-lp ?


I remember also...

Post 11

Obscure

Oh yes, Can you 'Foxtrot', I certainly have for years, but their finest concept must have been Gabriels swan song with The Lamb Lies down. Whatever happened to the idea of concept albums.
Between Yes and Genesis, I have whiled away many a happy dya, and numerous gin and tonics.


I remember also...

Post 12

TowelMaster

I remember the first and only time I ever smoked a joint. Hey I'm from Holland o.k. ? It's quite legal when you're above 18. Anyway I only ever took a toke before my 30th birthday but when I did I was listening to Supper's Ready and maaaaannnn I totally flipped out over Apocalypse in 9/8... The fact that it was on my headphones and the volume was set to maximum setting may have had something to do with it..
The lyrics of Jon Anderson on the other hand, nice as they were, did give the Sympho-club a bit of bad name. I mean "Caesar's Palace Morning glory silly human race' ?
I prefer 'Rael imperial aerosolkid exits into daylight, spraygun hid'
Sorry I'll keep it short next time.


I remember also...

Post 13

Obscure

No, no, thats quite alright. I don't think Jon Anderson ever wrote a coherent lyric in his life, but the music, and dare I say, harmony of his voice with the music, regardless that it is gibberish, was quite wonderful.
But Genesis takes the crown in my book for 'higher state' listening pleasure, whether its is just alcohol, or other forms of relaxant.
By the way I did see them once, I think it was in '82, when they did a one off re-union concert with Gabriel, it rained all day at Milton Keynes, and I was soaked, within 5 minutes of coming on I forgot that all. The closest I will ever being to Nirvana I am sure.


I remember also...

Post 14

TowelMaster

Ahww F**K, why was there no H2G2 then ??? I haven't missed a concert in Holland since 1978(and I'm not THAT old)...

I would like to give this thread a bit more of a general feeling. Could we talk about Sympho in general ?
I mean ; Barclay James Harvest, Greenslade, Camel(oh yes Camel,not Kamahl by the way), King Crimson, Hawkwind perhaps...?


I remember also...

Post 15

TowelMaster

No definitely not Kamahl

Listen said the elephant, uuuuuurrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh
Even though he is Australian...


I remember also...

Post 16

Obscure

I think you may be confusing them with Lymhal. As you say there is much to talk about without resorting to Yes and Genesis.
How about Boney M. Somebody shoot me.
Seriously though, there is Whit Noise, early Fleetwood Mac(the blues version with Peter Green), Ten Years After, Frank Zappa, now there is a guy that could have a thread all of his own, I already own ovwer 40 of his titles and theres lots more where that came from.


I remember also...

Post 17

TowelMaster

O.K. Obscure,

Good thinking' !

In ten minutes time I'll post two new threads from my forum. One about the Big Frank and one about lyrics in general(good un's).
And I hope to Bob that there are other people out there who can appreciate lyrics that go beyond 'Ooooooooooooooh BabyYYYYYY...'
The T.


I remember also...

Post 18

Obscure

It would assist greatly if I knew where to look for the new thread. I am fairly new at this, thus would not know where to look.
By the way, did you see what those Brownies did at the bottom of the garden, with the modified grass and the crabgrass babies
Shocking


I remember also...

Post 19

TowelMaster

Just click on TowelMaster and you'll see.
Thx.


I remember also...

Post 20

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

Any of you Prog Heads ever heard of Pendragon. I saw them supporting Marillion at the venue previously known as the Hammersmith Odeon. I was so impressed I immediately went out and bought as much of their stuff as possible. Any othe r fans out there?


Key: Complain about this post