The h2g2 Post 04.01.21

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 4th January 2021

Hopeful Beginnings

Solstice Conjunction, by NASA.

The planets have hugged across the sky. The calendar has (finally!) rolled around another year-number. Will the 'new' year be better than the last one? We sincerely hope so, every one of us. We'd like that virus to go away. Or at least, for everybody to get a vaccine and be able to go 'nyah, nyah' at it. We want our economies to recover and people to get back to whatever normal is. And oh, yeah, we could go for some peace on Earth right about now, and goodwill to each other, and some sensible politicians to do their jobs for a change and stop starting fights.

Any other suggestions?

As we wait to see what the new year will bring, let's talk about hope. Is hope a virtue? Is it a vice? What do we hope for? Show us hope this month: in a handful of words, or some sounds, or an image. Please share. It will be a good deed.

Meanwhile, here are some hopeful words and images from our Post contributors:
    Winter winds in Hooverville, by DG.
  • The Subject was angels. And chickens. You really don't want to know how it got started. (How do these things usually get started? We rest our case.) Freewayriding has a bang-up story that answers the question, 'When is an angel like a chicken?' I have one that addresses the issue of angelic choir rehearsal.
  • Hope, Not Always with Feathers. It might be brown and covered with dirt, but it represents hope, says Superfrenchie. It may be the prow of a scull, but it's hope to Caiman.
  • Birds pop up in surprising places. There's an obligatory cat, not bothering the birds. Willem's friend holds up a monitor. (Not, not that kind of monitor. It's wildlife.)
  • Continuing stories continue. So do cartoons. Lots to chuckle and/or shake your head over.
  • Video fun of the kinetic kind. Give it a look. According to Youtube, last year I caused humans to spend 5,222 minutes watching my videos containing music, birds, cats and other oddities. I thank you for so generously wasting…er, expending your time.
  • More Assorted Stuff is in here. Go rummage.


We'll be back next week with more Stuff. (Send more Stuff.) Keep warm, stay safe, and remember: years are only numbers, but space/time is real and shouldn't be wasted.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Some breeds of chicken are very large and very white.

Paulh


Coming of Age in Brookville, cover design by Freewayriding
Buy Our New Book!
Excitement, Adventure! Bears!

Create December 2020 by Freewayriding
January 2021 Create Challenge:
Hope in a Handful of Words


Video Extra: Goatplay


NATURAL OCCURRENCES
Nile Monitor

Nile Monitor by Willem


UNNATURAL THOUGHTS

OF ANGELS AND CHICKENS

The old and new year as a winged old man and an angry chicken


A Thing with Feathers

An angel with headphones.

STRANGE AND WONDERFUL



MacArthur's Architect
Executives from the early 1960s surreally walking into a building.

WORDS AND PICTURES (I)
WORDS AND PICTURES (II)


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88005080

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more