The h2g2 Post 13.10.14

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 13th October 2014

Juxtapositions

Caterpillar by Willem. Do caterpillars evoke mixed emotions in you? On the one hand, they're often kind of alien-looking. They eat holes in leaves in your garden, voracious little beggars. You might not want one crawling on you. On the other hand, caterpillars are kind of magical. They go to sleep, and when they wake up, they're something completely different. Maybe even a gorgeous butterfly. How cool is that? Don't you secretly wish that could happen to you?

This week, our contributors examine the strange juxtapositions that make up life. Willem tells us about that caterpillar – and he's right on time with it, as there's a definite connection to our spooky October Create theme. Create has been busy this week: we've got FOUR spooky tales for you. Curl up with a hot drink, a soft blanket, and the Post's answers to King and Lovecraft. (Make sure the door is locked first.) You'll also want to catch Awix's review of the latest Dracula film, although frankly, it sounds like it's scarier to a historian than a horror buff.

As Willem's Phyto-Philes reminds us, though, it's not all gloom, doom, and dark-and-stormy-night. There's remarkable beauty out there. Admire those balloons in Albuquerque, too. Ben is here to let us know that RL continuea, as well, and sometimes there are bright spots.

We hope you have as much fun exploring the thrills, spills, and laughs in this issue as we've have putting them together. Remember, there's still plenty of time for you to scare the pants/trousers off your fellow h2g2ers. Get writing/photographing/drawing/scheming…


And have a good week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

DANGER AND BEAUTY
  • Death's Head Hawkmoth by Willem
  • Kudu Lily by Willem.


THE EXTRAORDINARY AND THE MUNDANE

JOURNEYS AND JAMS

  • Albuquerque balloon festival.
  • Martian traffic jam.

FEAR AND CREATIVITY
This material is not for the faint-hearted. You have been warned.

INQUIRY AND TRIVIA
  • The Thinking Machine.
  • Guitarist.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87839347

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more