A Conversation for The Marx Brothers

A875081 - The Marx Bros

Post 41

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

The Zeppo is explained in the Zeppo site link I gave you earlier.
There is a two-part BBC interview with Zeppo on there.

The family moved to a chicken farm sometime in the early teens.
They kept keeping calling each other "Zeb" and "Zeke", as in the hayseed vaudeville routines of the time.
So, "Zebbo" became "Zeppo"

Gummo allegedly wore gum-soled shoes.

Groucho told it that his nickname also had to do with a "grouch bag" that he used to carry around his neck under his clothing, cause he had been left without any money in Peoria and some other less savory places by acts he'd gone out with who'd picked up the week's earnings and left town without paying him. In years later, on the radio and a couple of TV interviews, Chico repeated this story. Of course, Chico ended the story with the comment, "Plus, of course, everyone knew he was a big grouch! Ah, ha, ha, ha, thatsa right!"




A875081 - The Marx Bros

Post 42

The Ghost of Polidari

Apparently Gummo got his name (you're going to have to word this carefully as it's about to sound really stupid) from his ability to creep up behind people without them knowing (!) - being a bastardisation of Gumshoe - an American private dick smiley - yikes!!!! Best of luck with that.

Groucho also comes from the fact that he was grouchy!

Maybe worth adding to the Marx Brothers article that there was a Broadway musical based on the early career of the brothers called 'Minnie's Boys'. It starred Shelley Winters as Minnie...


A875081 - The Marx Bros

Post 43

Oberon2001 (Scout)

smiley - laugh On the link you gave me, (which I used for other things though not for the nickname research, smiley - silly me!), there's around three reasons for Zeppo's nickname... One from Groucho, one from Harpo and one from Chico and Gummo. Seeing as no-one knows the absolute definite answer, I'm gonna include them all. smiley - ok
Thanx for pointing me in the right direction. smiley - cheers
Oberon2001


A875081 - The Marx Bros

Post 44

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Updated and gone PR
-> F48874?thread=231463
Oberon2001


Removed

Post 45

Recumbentman

This post has been removed.


A875081 - The Marx Bros

Post 46

Oberon2001 (Scout)

smiley - erm I'm probably gonna regret saying this, but whoever posted the modded comment, could they re-post, just without the modded bits. I really wanna know what was said.
Oberon2001


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more