A Conversation for The Marx Brothers

Peer Review: A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 1

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Entry: The Marx Brothers - A875081
Author: Oberon2001 (ACE) - U204088

"Last night I shot a bear in my pajamas, what he was doing in my pajamas I'll never know."


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 2

The Ghost of Polidari

He was probably wondering how he could have got in there with the elephant???????

(As the quote from Captain Spaulding is about elephants, not bears.... smiley - doh)


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 3

Oberon2001 (Scout)

smiley - yikes Sorry!
But bear sounds better, doesn't it?
Oberon2001


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 4

The Ghost of Polidari

Er.....

no!

Sacrilege!!!!!

Anyway - good to see the entry in here smiley - ok. One quick change - how about referencing Groucho's entry in the name section (where you've linked to IMDB for a couple of the others) and take the Groucho link from the bottom, to make it a bit more consistent?

Also, if you feel like it, my Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel entry is finished now apart from lacking a couple of quotes, so I was wondering if you'd been inclined to link to it...???? I should be sticking it in PR tomorrow (once quotes have been added, and I can remember the name of the carriage on the train that sells food!!).


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 5

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Yes, alright I'll link to your entry, but it'll be removed if this is picked.
The idea of putting the Groucho link at the bottom is so that if anyone wants to create an entry for another Marx Bros, the link to that can be tagged on at the bottom as well.
Oberon2001


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 6

The Ghost of Polidari

Flywheel A897320 now in PR too.

Let's see if we can fill it with Marx Brothers entries!!!


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 7

Oberon2001 (Scout)

I count three so far, I'll put my Groucho entry in sometime today, that'll be four... Anyone got a Marx Bros entry they'd like to put in PR? smiley - winkeye
Oberon2001


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 8

McKay The Disorganised

Great entry smiley - ok

Can't see any factual errors couple of typos - "it was the first Marx Bros film IN 5 years" not on

and Pyjamas not pajamas.

smiley - tit


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 9

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Fixed. smiley - ok
Oberon2001


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 10

Recumbentman

I went and posted this in the old thread before I saw it had moved; so here it is again:

There's lots of confusion about the family facts and figures, but certainly Chico and Harpo were older than Groucho.

Simon Louvish (Monkey Business: the lives and legends of the Marx Brothers, Faber 1999) has done a lot of archival research and he gives the following:

Simon (Marrix by family tradition) born 1860; married Miene Schönberg 18 Jan 1885; named as Simon Marx in 1890 (on Groucho's birth registration) and as Samuel Marks in the census of June 1900, thereafter as Samuel Marx.

Manfred born 1886, died 7 months later, probably a victim of 'flu, since the death cert mentions entero-colitis and asthenia.

Leo, later Leonard, born March 1887

Adolph, later Arthur, born 23 November 1888

Julius Henry born 2 Oct 1890

Milton born 23 Oct 1892

Herbert born 25 Feb 1901

The 1900 census also lists Pauline (known as Polly or Sally) who was born in 1885, and lived with the family, but seems to have been a cousin (daughter of Hannah either inside or outside her first marriage to Max Lefevre in 1881, who was presumed dead in the 1890 Manhattan City Directory entry for Hannah)

The family moved to Chicago according to Louvish in "the autumn of 1909"

Good luck with sorting all of this out! The more detail you get the harder it is for the reader. Do we really need to know the suppositions about the grouch bag?

You also have a few typos at the start - it should be "The Brothers' father" (and mother); space needed after "France)" in line 3 or so; The Three Nightingales need no apostrophe (and should it be they "made their debut performance *as* Ned Weyburn's etc."?)

~R


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 11

Recumbentman

[Recumbentman continues...] Furthermore, Harry and Al Shean's name would surely have been pronounced "Shane", to judge by the song "Bei Mir Bist Du Shane" (=Schön). Shane would be short for Schönberg in New York German.

Simon Louvish has uncovered a load of detail including a 1925 film "Too Many Kisses" in which Harpo played "Village Peter Pan"... Worth a look, he gives a complete chronology and family tree at the end. E.g. Manfred born January 1886, died 17 July 1886; Leo born (22?) March 1887.

~R


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 12

Oberon2001 (Scout)

For someone who wrote "The more detail you get the harder it is for the reader", you do include a lot of info!
I've included quite a bit of it though, so smiley - cheers
Oberon2001


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 13

Recumbentman

Details, details... still a Guide should be as reliable as the current research allows. Louvish is definite about the marriage date of Simon and Miene: 18 Jan 1885. He says they later revised their marriage date to 1864 "to accommodate Pauline's birth in January 1885, as they were passing her off as their own"

~R


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 14

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Hmm, interesting.
I've added it to the entry.
Oberon2001


A875081 - The Marx Brothers

Post 15

Oberon2001 (Scout)

... I'll be honest, I'm just bumping this up to the top of PR, seeing if anyone has got anymore to say on it.
Oberon2001


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Well done folks, it's going in!

smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Hip-Hip Hooray!
Woo-hoo!
Break open a barrel of smiley - ale everyone!
Oberon2001


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

The Ghost of Polidari

Someone mention smiley - ale????

Flywheel's just gone in too - that's all 4 Marx Brothers on their way...!!!

smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Brilliant!
The Groucho Marx entry has now been pending for about a week now, so will probably go in soon! smiley - ok
Oberon2001


Key: Complain about this post