A Conversation for Advertising the Un-Advertisable - Sensory Interpretation

angels and dinosaurs

Post 41

cactuscafe

Prof's the guy with the stash of laughs, eh. smiley - rofl. Hey Prof. smiley - ale How about a pint with an intense artist? smiley - rofl. See how stoopid I can get. smiley - ale

No, but wait! wait! .... . Empathy. Empathy. Empathy. (intense moment of realisation.

I was thinking about a character that lives in my head, see. I want to write a story. I'm not sure how empathic he is, but well... y'know its weird. What's weird? I don't yet. I have to write the story. What I was going to ask on the AWW, but might as well ask here, is, what about creating a character then? Can I have a checklist please of basic essentials. Like,don't forget ...

1) Name
2) erm ...
3) erm ...

The thing about this character is that I think he might be dead.

I need a drink. smiley - redwine



angels and dinosaurs

Post 42

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

the first rule in getting cured,is to know the problemsmiley - smileymy problem is I'm stupid! but NOW I know the problem, I DON'T want to be curedsmiley - biggrin


angels and dinosaurs

Post 43

cactuscafe

smiley - alesmiley - ale. smiley - rofl.Hmm. That's an interesting approach, Prof. I like it. Y'know I don't think I want to be cured either. smiley - rofl. I think I might just drink a lot of virtual ale smiley - ale and get more and more intense. smiley - rofl. Its good being not cured, which is kind of being cured. smiley - huh. Maybe I'll change to water though. I can get very philosophical about a jug of water. Exit now, while you yet have a chance smiley - run ... heheheh. smiley - run

smiley - artist
OK back to art thoughts. I am figuring out some things here. Yes (paces room) yes yes yes ....


angels and dinosaurs

Post 44

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyebest way to tell if you've had enough beer/spirits smiley - smileyif everyone is laying down and your the only one standingsmiley - biggrin


angels and dinosaurs

Post 45

minorvogonpoet

Characters. Slippery things.

I've still not mastered the art of characterisation smiley - erm. I've heard of a number of approaches.

1) blend characteristics from people you know.

2) give your person a list of biographical facts and a few personal traits.

3) describe a bag your person has and its contents.


angels and dinosaurs

Post 46

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I've never tried the bag approach, cool idea, MVP. smiley - smiley

I suggest 4) Let the character have his head. Let him tell you what he wants to do. (And remember that he's not you, stop kibitzing.)


angels and dinosaurs

Post 47

cactuscafe

smiley - rofl haha. I'm still standing Prof. Although the world looks strangely upside down, and my audience left three years ago. smiley - rofl. The overhead light is growing out of the floor like a weird lit up plant.smiley - rofl. And all this from a jug of water. heheh. hmm.

smiley - coffee

Hah! Greenlight! Green light! A green light shines on these checklists. Thankyou so much. Thankyou fellow artists.

You know how when you're on a car journey, some days you just get into the loop of the red lights, and you feel as if you will be stuck on endless roundabouts for the rest of your misspent life, staring at those little furry nodding dogs that seem to be strategically placed on the back window shelf of the car in front of you, just to haunt you. Nod nod nod. What, oh what, little doggie? What what what are you nodding at?

(Actually I had one of those nodding dogs once. I kept it beside my bed. I told it secrets, and it nodded at me, without judgement. I think I'm going to get another one.) smiley - love

Off topic. smiley - offtopic. Point is, sometimes it is all green lights, and you find yourself turning left instead of right because you followed the green filter arrow for no apparent reason.

Well, this is onesuch time, with the things we have been talking about, and now I just got the greenlight on the character thing, And I am going to use the checklists and do some character paintings, and follow some patterns and think about it all again.

I would go on about it, and probably will smiley - rofl, but I used up all my space right now, talking about nodding dogs. smiley - rofl. Although this is all deeply relevant, and does connect with sensory interpretation. Sort of. With imagination. smiley - rofl. hmm.


angels and dinosaurs

Post 48

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

still standingsmiley - winkeyeI'm soo laid back and chilled out, I walk horizontally


The answers could be deep within your dreams,so let your imagination out for an airing and behold the visions, that are out of the reach of reality.

GRAVITY..The question is, did the apple fall or was it pushed, this has never been brought to task, the search for an answer remains a mystery, due to lack of eye witnesses, plus there's a good chance that their now dead anyway.

"You are what you eat"
Funny-
I've never been a cheese and onion crisp before ??


angels and dinosaurs

Post 49

cactuscafe

PS What's kibitzing then?

wait ..wait ... OK. . (online dictionary).

OK I get it.

If you knew my characters, my friend, you'd kibitz them. hahah. Let them have their way? No way. heyhey.

So what if she, who is She, the scented and demented Mrs.Zee, squashes me to a sticky pulp because she thought I was a slug that had stuck to her stiletto heel, even though I protest that I am a very interesting person who collects nodding dogs and facts about grass snakes. And even though I eat a lot of lettuce, I'm not a slug. I'm not! I'm not! and hey perhaps we could do coffee.

Hah! But then I invented the scented and demented Mrs Zee. Tee hee. Mrs Zed is in head. I think. help! help!

Ah, OK, I see. smiley - rofl. Its more fun if you don't kibitz them. smiley - erm.

I wonder is it wise for me to get into characters?? yes! yes! smiley - rofl.

end of PS.

smiley - rofl.


angels and dinosaurs

Post 50

cactuscafe

PS Morning Prof. Your posting came through while I was on about nodding dogs and grass snakes. smiley - rofl.

And its only 8.30 am. smiley - rofl.

Now I have to run smiley - run ... back laters to consider your philosophies and Prof wisdoms. your Profosophies.

what??

smiley - run


angels and dinosaurs

Post 51

cactuscafe

later.

smiley - rofl right. considering these Profosophies. heheh. And you are what you eat. You are? That means I am cake. smiley - cake. I am mostly cake, with jacket potato and lettuce on the side. I think this might explain a lot, in fact. smiley - rofl.

Incidentally .... for anyone reading this .... re characters ... I am just playing. (nervous). I mean no harm. They live in my head. They relate not to real persons, living or dead.And it is up to me to work out their destiny. Ah, good to see the nervousness returning. I was missing it. Have to be responsible though, I think, with characters.

It won't stop me though. In fact, if symptoms persist, I might transfer to the AWW, with my checklists in my bag. heheh.

My Grandmother used to put slices of roast beef in her handbag, when she went out to lunch with her friends. She said it was for her dog, but she always ate them on the way home.


angels and dinosaurs

Post 52

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"They live in my head" smiley - winkeyethere's nothing IN my head, there's no room because of all the granitesmiley - biggrin


angels and dinosaurs

Post 53

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I am enjoying this. Somebody else is doing all the work. smiley - whistle

I am now imagining nodding smiley - dogs...

Speaking of She, did you know that Rutger Hauer, father of all Goths, has a daughter named Ayesha?

What was he thinking? smiley - rofl


angels and dinosaurs

Post 54

minorvogonpoet

Are these conversations work, Dmitri?

I thought they were an escape from the serious business of trying to write.smiley - winkeye


angels and dinosaurs

Post 55

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl


angels and dinosaurs

Post 56

minorvogonpoet

I am now expecting a story involving nodding dogs, grass snakes, cake
and a woman who kills slugs. smiley - biggrin


angels and dinosaurs

Post 57

cactuscafe

smiley - rofl

work?? Ah yes, (clutches brow), this is work, heheh. And all from the inside of a Headache. I offer you pieces of my Headache.

I think this might be the effect of too many Bank Holidays. smiley - rofl.

A story, mvp?? Me??? Now that is waaay too much like work. heheheh. Didn't I tell you we were all collaborating? heheheh.wink wink. Bring in some anti-heroes, please. This is all for my book, you know. Anything anyone writes will be stored in the pages of my Headache until I can pay the printers. smiley - rofl although of course in real life, ah that lovely world outside of Headache, I respect copyright, and all those sort of things, and won't get a book together till I am grownup.

Y'know, its funny mister D. I was thinking about the Goths earlier. And the way you write all those characters, like Liam and everyone. wah. I miss them, but they're not gone, so I don't have to miss them.

smiley - strawberry

Names. Now that's my next thing. Names. How on earth do you name a character? And make up place names?I keep thinking of names, then find that there are several million people out there with that particular name, or living in a town called .......... who might just demand compensation for having been written into a story about a person who saw eyes in ice cream.

This is part of my Notes about Characters. You don't have to answer my questions till after the Bank Holiday, or ever, although I really need to know.

smiley - sigh.I think I might go pitch a small tent in the AWW and become a recluse, and eat a lot of berries. smiley - strawberry

So for now, I am just going to use or or star star star *** until I get the green light on that one. My Cousin Star Star Star is a good person. She lives in ............ Her parents named her Star Star Star because ..............smiley - rofl. No, work! I must work!

She saw eyes everywhere. Eyes in the wall, behind the clock in the hall, eyes in the sand, in the palm of her hand.

Who did? I don't know. Yet.


angels and dinosaurs

Post 58

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl Or like the 'Bald Soprano', name everybody Bobby Brown.

You have to be careful with those names. I call Acme, North Carolina, Acme, because that isn't its name. I am afraid to be sued by somebody in Apex. smiley - whistle I make up all sorts of brand names. Elektra cracks up because she knows the real names for everything. I have an Acme story coming up in smiley - thepost which involves the Rotarootah Club, a civic organisation. Americans will get that, but nobody else will.

The other day, I said, 'Let's go up to the Forlorn Hope Plaza', and Elektra said, 'What?', then 'Oh.' smiley - whistle

In an educational roleplay about the Trail of Tears, I made up a character with the name of my great-great-uncle. He wouldn't have minded, since it was kinfolk and I didn't say anything bad about him. And another got the first name of one of the editors, she was flattered...

My own name comes from map abuse as a child. (They warned me that I might go blind doing that, but I'm doing better after the cataract operations...)

I picked the name 'Gheorgheni' because it was in the Carpathians and sounded cool to me, even though I was pronouncing it wrong and rhyming it with 'Allegheny', which was the county I lived in at the time. About 15 years later, I had the distinct pleasure of waking up from a nap on a very rickety Romanian bus and seeing the town limits welcome sign that said 'Gheorgheni', right next to the usual awful Soviet-style concrete apartment bunkers...I was home. smiley - winkeye

Interestingly, it wasn't all that different from Allegheny County...lots of trees, mountainous, odd people...the Carpathians stood in for the Appalachians in the film 'Cold Mountain.'

I'd say, as long as nobody else is using the name, have fun. smiley - laugh I haven't got sued by Harghita County yet.


angels and dinosaurs

Post 59

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

slug eats woman and snake,while cake eating nodding dog ponders canis major (or it cannine majorsmiley - ermsmiley - erm?)


angels and dinosaurs

Post 60

minorvogonpoet

I make up names for places in the UK if I'm going to change things in them. I've used real names, e.g Brighton if the description of the place is accurate. I don't think you can libel a place,can you? Graham Greene did it and got away with it.

But some of my current story is set in France and I'm not as sure about making up French names. At the moment, I've got a mixture of real and made-up names.

But as the piece is not likely to go any further than my creative writing class, I'm not sure it matters. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Advertising the Un-Advertisable - Sensory Interpretation

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more