Babe Among the Stars:The Sky at Night

1 Conversation

Galaxy Babe's column banner, showing a full moon and some little folk looking up at the sky

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth - Ptolemy

The Sky At Night

In April 1957, a TV programme called The Sky At Night began broadcasting on the BBC. It's still going strong, with the original presenter Sir Patrick Moore still hosting it. Both are record-breakers, and long may they continue. October's programme was about light echoes and the story of how Tycho Brahe observed a 'new star' in 1572 in the constellation of Cassiopeia. It was in fact an exploding star known as a supernova, a phenomenon that was unknown then, as most people were taught to believe that the heavens were fixed in a celestial sphere. Light from the exploding star had actually been sent out in all directions, and some had hit another object and been bounced back towards Earth. This 'light echo' reached the eyes of astronomers on Earth in 2008, and so we got to see exactly what Tycho Brahe saw over 400 years ago. Sir Patrick finished off the fascinating programme by announcing that the 700th edition is coming up, and his co-presenter Dr Chris Lintott invited viewers to submit questions to a panel of astronomers for the special programme to be broadcast in March 2011. Submit any question you may have on one of the seven topics listed on the online form, and good luck getting selected!

Comet Hartley 2

Comet Hartley 2 passed within 17 million km of the Earth on 20 October, and it is now heading away from us. There's a NASA mission named EPOXI involving a spacecraft called Deep Impact which will rendezvous with the comet on 4 November. The spacecraft will provide cometary scientists with vital data and hopefully a glimpse of the comet's nucleus, which is less than two km diameter.

November Diary Dates


  • Chat about your celestial observances at the H2G2 Astronomy Society. Comment on anything in this edition of Babe Among the Stars by starting a new conversation below.

Babe Among the Stars Archive

Galaxy Babe

01.11.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A76275110

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more