What is a Wormhole?

0 Conversations

Welcome to the
H2G2 Astronomy Society
Questions and Answers
Charting the uncharted backwaters of the Universe
smiley - crescentmoonsmiley - earthsmiley - moonsmiley - marssmiley - moonsmiley - earthsmiley - crescentmoon

h2g2as Front PageThe main site page with all the latest breaking news and chat.
Welcome MessageIf your new to this site then click here to find out all you need to know about the h2g2as.
h2g2as Q and AFind the answers to many space related questions.
Astronomy LinksFind all the best astronomy links as well as links to local societies.
TV ListingsThis gives listings for most of the space science TV programs.
The Night SkyThe University Observatory will tell you what to see this April.
Members PageMeet the many researchers who have joined the h2g2as and join yourself.
Previous ArticlesContained here are some of the previous news headlines from the front page.
Discussion GroupThis links to the h2g2as Yahoo discussion group.

H2G2 Astronomical society.

Question and Answers.

smiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - star

What is a Wormhole?

At the present we don’t know if wormholes exist. If a Black Hole is spinning them it is possible that the singularity won’t crush you. The spin of the Black Hole means the singularity isn’t a point but is round. If you approach it the equatorial route you will get crushed against it when you hit it, however it you approach it by the polar route then you will pass through it. Albert Einstein and his colleague Nathan Rosen suggested that the ‘throat’ of a Black Hole might be the mirror image of the ‘throat’ of a Black Hole connected to another Universe.
You could use a large, spinning Black Hole as an Einstein-Rosen bridge to get to another Universe if you navigate your way through it. The Black Hole needs to be spinning to be able to pass through the singularity and has to be large so that the spaghettification would be gentler than with a small one and you wouldn’t get pulled apart. In this other Universe you could use a Black Hole to get to another Universe however it is unlikely you’d emerge into our Universe again.

A Black Hole would be perilous way to travel. Apart from the dangers or spaghettification and collisions with singularities the connecting tunnel only stays open briefly. However if we could come up with anti-gravity that repels instead of attracts we could keep the tunnel open. The mouth of a wormhole unlike an event horizon would allow two way traffic in and out. Using curved space we may be able to connect a wormhole with another point in space.

The distance of 8.3 light years from Earth to Sirius would be shortened to three feet (one meter). It would however be better for us to make worm holes since an existing one wouldn’t necessarily take us where we want to go. You would do this by making a hollow in space and gently curving it until you destination is near to hollow. Then make a hole in the bottom on the hollow and do this at your destination and glue to edges on the holes together and you have yourself a worm hole and are free to travel the Universe.
Kip Throne, an American physicist, was the first person to suggest, in 1985, that wormholes might be used for space travel. Asked by the astronomer Carl Sagan to help with his novel Contact, Thorn solved the problem on a long car journey. Sagan planned to transport his heroine to the star Vega – 26 light years away – via a Black Hole. Halfway along Interstate 5, Throne realised that the only safe way was by a wormhole. Kip Throne invented the wormhole, but it will take a much more advanced society than ours to build one.

smiley - aliensmilesmiley - starsmiley - moonsmiley - earthsmiley - marssmiley - smileysmiley - planetsmiley - aliensmile

I have made several batches of questions. This question is from the first batch. To find other batches of questions plus the newest one return to the main h2g2 as Q and A page using the first link below. Other questions in this batch are also below.

h2g2as Q and AFind the answers to many space related questions.
How old is the Universe?The age of the Universe and how we managed to work it out.
How did the Universe begin?The origins of the Universe, how we found then out, proved them and The Big Bang.
How will the Universe end?Three throrys about the death of the Universe and how to decide which will be the one.
What was it like before the Big Bang?BEFORE the Big Bang. One of the most asked questions asked by anyone who knows anything about the Big Bang.
What is a Black Hole?About the most bizzare objects in the Universe and how they are created.
What is a Wormhole?How to travel anywhere in the Universe in seconds.
What is a quasar?About the brightest objects in existance but which are also the most distant.
What happens at the speed of light?What will happen when you catch up with light. CAN you catch a light beam?
Is there any life out there?Are we alone? The search for ET.
What is space made out of?The story of nothing.
What is ‘Dark Matter’?The hunt for the missing matter of the Universe.
Where is the centre of the Universe and where is the edge of the Universe?"Here is where the Universe began. Visit the Big Bang cafe and souvenir shop."

Contact

If you would like to contact me please use this link:
Richard Derek Young.

smiley - crescentmoonsmiley - earthsmiley - moonsmiley - marssmiley - moonsmiley - earthsmiley - crescentmoon


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A659126

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more