How old is the Universe?

0 Conversations

Welcome to the
H2G2 Astronomy Society
Questions and Answers
Charting the uncharted backwaters of the Universe
smiley - crescentmoonsmiley - earthsmiley - moonsmiley - marssmiley - moonsmiley - earthsmiley - crescentmoon

h2g2as Front PageThe main site page with all the latest breaking news and chat.
Welcome MessageIf your new to this site then click here to find out all you need to know about the h2g2as.
h2g2as Q and AFind the answers to many space related questions.
Astronomy LinksFind all the best astronomy links as well as links to local societies.
TV ListingsThis gives listings for most of the space science TV programs.
The Night SkyThe University Observatory will tell you what to see this April.
Members PageMeet the many researchers who have joined the h2g2as and join yourself.
Previous ArticlesContained here are some of the previous news headlines from the front page.
Discussion GroupThis links to the h2g2as Yahoo discussion group.

H2G2 Astronomical society.

Question and Answers.

smiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - star

How old is the Universe?

From what we can determine from measuring how fast the galaxies are moving away from each other we can make about that the universe it about 12.5 aeons old + 2.5 aeons (1 aeon is one giga-year or 1,000 million years). This can be done by looking at the Andromeda galaxy that is 2.2 million light years. Measuring how fast this is moving away we can work back to when both galaxies are at the same point in space and this was around 12,500 million years ago + 2,500 million years.

smiley - aliensmilesmiley - starsmiley - moonsmiley - earthsmiley - marssmiley - smileysmiley - planetsmiley - aliensmile

I have made several batches of questions. This question is from the first batch. To find other batches of questions plus the newest ones return to the main h2g2 as Q and A page using the first link below. Other questions in this batch are also below.

h2g2as Q and AFind the answers to many space related questions.
How old is the Universe?The age of the Universe and how we managed to work it out.
How did the Universe begin?The origins of the Universe, how we found then out, proved them and The Big Bang.
How will the Universe end?Three throrys about the death of the Universe and how to decide which will be the one.
What was it like before the Big Bang?BEFORE the Big Bang. One of the most asked questions asked by anyone who knows anything about the Big Bang.
What is a Black Hole?About the most bizzare objects in the Universe and how they are created.
What is a Wormhole?How to travel anywhere in the Universe in seconds.
What is a quasar?About the brightest objects in existance but which are also the most distant.
What happens at the speed of light?What will happen when you catch up with light. CAN you catch a light beam?
Is there any life out there?Are we alone? The search for ET.
What is space made out of?The story of nothing.
What is ‘Dark Matter’?The hunt for the missing matter of the Universe.
Where is the centre of the Universe and where is the edge of the Universe?"Here is where the Universe began. Visit the Big Bang cafe and souvenir shop."

Contact

If you would like to contact me please use this link:
Richard Derek Young.

smiley - crescentmoonsmiley - earthsmiley - moonsmiley - marssmiley - moonsmiley - earthsmiley - crescentmoon


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A659054

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more