A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

13 October - New Registration

Post 341

toybox

smiley - cheers


13 October - New Registration

Post 342

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Hey, Mina, I notice you don't have a badge yet...



smiley - laugh


13 October - New Registration

Post 343

Wøñkø

smiley - rofl


13 October - New Registration

Post 344

I'm not really here

As I didn't have any problem with any of my accounts, 'survived' isn't really appropriate for me. :D


13 October - New Registration

Post 345

SEF

That's not what you said elsewhere.


13 October - New Registration

Post 346

I'm not really here

I'd rather that you and I kept at opposite ends of the site SEF.

I'm unsubscribing. If anyone else wants me, come and find me.


13 October - New Registration

Post 347

J

I don't blame you smiley - cross

Nakedsmiley - sheep


13 October - New Registration

Post 348

Mr Inertia - Now new, improved and mostly human!

I managed to get on with SSO - but why am I now showing negative un- read posts on some of my conversations?
smiley - erm


13 October - New Registration

Post 349

SEF

That has been happening to a lot of people ever since Jim introduced the new feature. It seems to be related to whether or not you have read all the pages of a conversation (possibly in the right order). It doesn't even have to be a long thread to get negative numbers appearing. Reading these threads sometimes, but not always (hence the caveat about order), then makes the number of new posts indication work properly.


13 October - New Registration

Post 350

Mr Inertia - Now new, improved and mostly human!

But I did read all the backlog from all the threads I'm currently using!
smiley - wah
Why me???
smiley - erm
Sorry!


13 October - New Registration

Post 351

SEF

"I did read all the backlog" - well so far the problem hasn't been identified precisely. So see if you can figure out anything from the affected threads and how you read them.

"Why me???" - why not you since it seems to affect just about everybody. I don't recall anyone posting to say they don't have a single thread with a negative number of new posts. You'll just have to fall back on previous methods of telling whether anything has been posted (eg comparison with the last time you posted and other threads in your conversation list).


13 October - New Registration

Post 352

Mr Inertia - Now new, improved and mostly human!

OK!
That was supposed to be an ironic "Why me?", BTW.
smiley - erm


13 October - New Registration

Post 353

SEF

As it should be all relatively fresh in your mind, having just noticed the problem, is there anything which links your threads with the -ve numbers and distinguishes them from those which don't have -ve numbers? Note that probably all pre-existing threads before the feature was introduced will probably have had -ve numbers but that those may go away when you read them or post to them (ie initialising a variable in software terms). The really interesting ones are those which *have* been read or posted to by a given user since the feature was added and yet still persist in showing a negative number of new posts.


13 October - New Registration

Post 354

Mr Inertia - Now new, improved and mostly human!

Nothing special about any of them. I've posted to and received replies from all the threads I'm involved with - and there's just two with -ve numbers of posts. The only new thread is this one which seems to be working OK.
Wierd, huh!


Key: Complain about this post