Escape Pod Dreams: The Anti-authority Authority Issue

0 Conversations

Escape Pod Dreams, the Anti-authority Authority Issue

The New New blob

This space reserved for expectant mothers, expectant fathers and expectorative grandparents!

I saw a sign in front of a local chain store the other night. It was next to a ramp and it said "Reserved for Expectant Mothers". My little brain bristled. It was a small car park, it was level (the ramp was because of the four inch sidewalk veranda), and I hate the phrase. "Expectant mother" is an abomination. Why can't it just say "gravid humans"? I mean, they are obviously trying to avoid the word PREGNANT, which is offensive to so many people for reasons I cannot imagine. Is it because it calls to mind IMPREGNATE, that most unthinkable of activities? Or do they just object to the number of hard consonants grouped together in an unseemly manner? You can't be an "expectant" mother if you haven't already pumped out a unit. I would prefer "prospective" mother, but the saints in our area might take that as condoning s*x. So I guess I just object to a sign being there at all, in any wording, considering that it blocks what would normally be a handicapped spot. "Gravid humans" are not handicapped per se.

The New New blob

More reasons why the Englischer Language should be left in the hands of Franchmen:

1. 8:57 AM
The Anti-Establishment Establishment
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

2. 9:57 AM
Life is a series of opportunities to stop using your anus for a hat.
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

3. 10:57 AM
People are always asking me about football.
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

4. 11:57 AM
Without curiosity, the brain is dead.
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

The New New blob

The Escape Pod Dreams Archive

TonsilRevenge

05.10.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A57695485

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more