A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 141

PieZetti

Speaking as an American and a great lover/admirer of the Guide, I have to say that the whole cast should be British, with the possible exceptions of Marvin (you can throw a rock in any direction and hit 10 or 12 depressed people in California these days) and Eddie the computer (am I going too far by suggesting Regis Philbin? He's got that really annoying edge that Eddie needs...).
I just got a wild idea for Arthur....what about Tim Roth? If you see the movie "The Legend of 1900" you'll see what I mean. Maybe a little too sad tho...just a thought.


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 142

Purple Moose - He comes, he goes. But mainly the latter...

I still think SMG could do an English accent! smiley - biggrin
but the idea of "Hollywoodising" the guide would backfire badly!

Purple Moose smiley - reindeer


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 143

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

SMG as Trillian would be Ex - I Trillian was American in the TV series.....smiley - ermsmiley - winkeye

Arthur HAS to be English - thinks of Hugh Grant
Ford and Zaphod are both Beetleguisians so Accent isn't Rilly a Problem there - JC would be OK as Zaphod. Ford needs someone a bit more serious - hmmm Robert DeNiro? (smiley - laugh)
Marvin - probably CGI would be best - which lets us have Woody Allen as the voice (nah - too Manic) - or it could just be a Computer Generated voice too.

SlartiBartFast - TV actor is still around could use him - or John Cleese
Ape Men (i.e. Neanderthals - Robin Williams, Ronnie Corbett (got turned down as Ape in 2001!))





Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 144

BuskingBob

I watched "Notting Hill" last night and wish to withdraw my nomination of Hugh Grant. Tim Roth now gets my vote.


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 145

Sol

Actually, I maintain that Tim Roth would be much better as Ford. He even looks abit like ford.


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 146

dasilva

Jools Holland for Arthur? smiley - laugh


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 147

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

nah - Jools is too,,,,, with it.. Roland Rivron?


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 148

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Nahh, too without it........... What about Ant & Dec for the mice, I've got a very humane trap? If Stephen Moore doesn't recreate Marvin, what about James Bolam?


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 149

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

For Marvin all we really need is the voice - which has to be deep and sound permanently depressed (well a cross between Billy Vaguesmiley - biggrin and Barry White would work there then!)...

I don't think CGI would work that well for Marvin though, having thought about it - it would NEED to be Clunky, Falling apart, etc... And CGI seems to do the opposite to things - i.e. makes them smooth and perfect.....


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 150

voyager

Patrick Stewart would make a good sladdibaadvaast (forgive the spelling)and maybe we could have Tom Baker as Ford Prefect.
M.J


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 151

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Tom's too old for Ford - He'd be a better Slarti - Patrick Stewart OTOH would make a good book!


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 152

Hunter, who is rarely on H2G2 anymore.

how about the guy who did KITT from knight rider for the voice of the guide?


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 153

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Nah, too smiley - erm camp? (not what I mean) and that awful Beeedooop every other word!smiley - winkeye


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 154

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Nah, too smiley - erm camp? (not what I mean) and that awful Beeedooop every other word!smiley - winkeye


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 155

dasilva

The book needs to be a friendly, wise old bird, after possibly recently being payed a visit by Dr.Alzheimer...


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 156

barich

I wonder what the likelihood is that the movie will be made now that Douglas Adams is deceased.


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 157

Jordon in New York

I fear for the fate of the H2G2 movie, for now that Douglas Adams is dead, his artistic vision and unique input is no more. So, should Hollywood go ahead and make the movie anyway with what they have now, then the worst is sure to be. As far as I'm concerned, the movie shouldn't be made if DNA is not around to see it through that version.
Jordon
ps, I really am shocked and saddened by the news of DNA's death . . . Not really sure what to make of it.


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 158

fahfooh

NAY Robin Williams (for the Hitchhiker movie)...

My vote would have to go to Sam Rockwell (The Green Mile, Galaxy Quest, Safe Men, Lawn Dogs, Charlie's Angels (*ACK*))... he has the face, and he has the bewildered body language. The dood is CHOICE comedic material


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 159

fahfooh

I should elaborate:

Sam Rockwell as Arthur Dent
Luke Wilson as Ford Prefect
John Cleese as MARVIN (Voice-over)
Sandra Bernhard as Trillian
Jim Carrey as Zaphod


Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 160

Nick36 (Cloned from Nick the Original)

Please don't hate me, but I happen to be a Jim Carrey fan. However, I'm much more a HGTTG fan, and could not repress a whole series of shudders at the thought of ol' rubber face as Arthur Dent. Perhaps he could be the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal... ;o)

No, Arthur needs to be English, not American playing English. Do you suppose Cary Elwes might be an adequate choice? Somehow, I seem him as more of a Ford Prefect, but maybe not. His calmer moments in The Princess Bride suggest he could provide the proper earnestness.

Throw in a dash of fretfulness at being lost in space with a man from Betelguese, a hint of irritation at having his home/planet bulldozed/blown up to make way for a bypass, and his insistent bloody-mindedness about getting a proper cup of tea from the senseless Sens-O-Matic, and he just might have it.

Okay, I'll shut up now. ;o)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more