A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 661

Malabarista - now with added pony

Hello, everyone. Long time, no see!


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 662

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

[RNick - Secretary/Treasurer, resting up for Royal Canadian Legion Week]


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 663

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

'ello Mala smiley - hug

smiley - pirate


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 664

Dizzy H. Muffin

smiley - fish Good morning.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 665

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Hello, old and new smiley - smiley

This very moment I am quite worried, watching the news. A right wing neo-nazi group held an unathorized demonstration (is that the right word?) in Gothenburg this weekend.
It's a failure of our legislation - you're not allowed to hold demonstrations unless you have a permit from the police. But police are also NOT allowed to break up an unauthorized demonstration unless there is violence, risk for traffic disruptions or other issues.
Somehow, the police don't see this demonstration as a threat to jews and other minorities. "They have not reach the level of threat" to be stopped and forbidden to march. And march they did. Shields with the Thor rune, black clothing, straight lines and rythmic marching.
But not bad *enough*.
They self-confess to be nazis. They want to kill other people, jews especially. They should not be allowed to march, they should be stopped!
I am so sad about this.
smiley - towel


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 666

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

That sounds troubling (about the protest) I hope nobody was harmed!

Popped in to see who (if anyone) has seen the "me too" thing that has been going around on facebook for the last couple of days.

It's an invitation for anyone who has been victim of sexual harassment or assault to speak out and post "me too" to help show how widespread the issue is.

I personally posted it because I have been 'cat-called' and wolf whistled at, but nothing more.

I think it's an interesting and powerful idea.

Minismiley - mouse


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 667

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I've seen it, and added my one. Haven't shared what happened on fb, but it's been various things.
From getting the bathroom door at school unlocked and pulled open from the outside, to a man pleasuring himself in his car (with the door open so I could see well) when I was biking past, to being assaulted in a close relationship, my hair being fiddled with by a customer when I was a consultant. Off the top of my head. And yeah, honked and called just the other week, walking to the bus stop at night. And also, having sex when I wasn't really in the mood, but couldn't make myself say stop.

smiley - towel


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 668

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I'm just an ex-military guy, recounts of occasions don't count. I was told this by higher authorities.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 669

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Quoting myself from fb:
"If you don't *feel* you have been harassed you should not join the #MeToo thingy, right?
I have been approached a number of times by men who felt attracted to me. And one even touched me (but I just experienced that as his - albeit clumsy - way of testing if I was susceptible to being seduced into a homosexual relationship).
I guess most of my male acquaintances would have felt it as harassment. I know of one particular who - when hearing about this - said he would have given those guys knuckle sandwiches or worse. But why shouldn't gays have the same right as straights of approaching potential partners?
I just refused the offerings and that was it. No big deal."

smiley - pirate


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 670

Baron Grim

Yep. I had a similar experience when I was a young man. I was a bit shocked, but I apologized and explained that "we weren't on the same team" as it were, and that was that.

This was in an era of prevalent "gay bashing". Many of the young men I grew up with would definitely have gotten violent in the same situation. Kids from suburban high schools made a game out of riding into "The Montrose" area of Houston to make sport of beating up gay men, or at least they bragged about doing so. And a few notable cases that can best be described as lynchings proved that some did more than brag. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Paul_Broussard



I won't be using the hashtag myself as I don't feel it applies to me, but I stand with those that do.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 671

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Of course we stand with those that do smiley - ok

smiley - pirate


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 672

z

Our exiciting update- which many of you will have seen on facebookk. Is that Ben and I are now the proud owners of a lighthouse keepers cottage. It's in the far north of scotland, and we can't move there yet. So we're busy trying to work out how to run a holiday let business.

It's strange, we met here at Lils. So as well as an h2g2 baby, we now have a h2g2 lighthouse.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 673

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Does the cottage include a functioning smiley - lighthouse? Or enough of shambles to build up for a tourist "look-out"? Even the latter would be so smiley - cool


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 674

Bluebottle

Yay – lighthouse! How many times have people mentioned The Lighthouse Family smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote song 'I Wanna Marry A Lighthouse Keeper' and 'Fraggle Rock' (sadly most of the UK's 'Fraggle Rock' was destroyed when TVS lost their broadcast license), as well as 'The Horror of Fang Rock'?

Is the cottage located adjacent to the smiley - lighthouse, or a short walk away?

<BB<


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 675

Baron Grim

smiley - envysmiley - lighthouse

I saw the pics when you were checking it out. It looked quite cozy.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 676

Pastey

Morning all, so, er, I organised a proper 10km timed race this weekend just gone!

Runners had RFID chips and everything.

Learned a few things, such as the need for better marking (three people took wrong turns) with a different colour spray chalk on the way back, and marking out the mile/kilometre points, and having a few more marshals. But considering 101 runners set off, only having 3 take wrong turns isn't too shabby.

It was great fun, and I'll definitely be doing it again next year!


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 677

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Yay for smiley - lighthouse and yay for smiley - run (with small percentage of smiley - nur)

smiley - towel


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 678

Bluebottle

Wrong turns can be part of the fun - last year's Santa Run round Winchester had smiley - runsmiley - santasmiley - nur in all directions smiley - biggrin
I hope they weren't serious runners desperate for a PB…?

<BB<


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 679

z

The smiley - lighthouse cottage is very very very close to a working lighthouse. It's probably about 50m away from the lighthouse, and is in the same courtyard.

We're going to be setting up a holiday cottage business, because we can't move their, and we can't afford to just spend that amount of money on our own holiday cottage.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 680

z

Ben has made us a website

http://www.lightkeeperscottage.co.uk/


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more