A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1521

Titania (gone for lunch)

What *does* rm -rf * ! mean?

Hyp, Mystic Merlin got himself a new researcher ID (Hoon) due to technical trouble with his first user page. His new researcher number is U238187

...which reminds me that he gave me some advice about how to become aware of my psychic powers - I tried for a while, but gave it up. Maybe I should try again...

smiley - goodluck to everyone who happens to be anywhere near Frances - I just read about Frances on the BBC news, and they said it's twice the size of Charely!smiley - yikes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3621794.stm


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1522

Phil

'rm -rf' is the sort of unix version of the dos command 'delete *.*' ie delete everything (the -rf bit means r - go down through all the directories you find and the f - forcefully delete even things where it might ask for permission). It's one of the things anyone who uses unix learns the hard way.
The easiest way to trash a unix system is to become root (the superuser/administrator) go to the bottom of the filesystem and type rm -rf.

It will delete everything.

You learn not to do it too often (says the voice of experience smiley - winkeye)


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1523

Teuchter

So it's sort of 'expletive deleted'? smiley - huh


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1524

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

[Amy] - Guardian-reading Leo ideallist (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/personalityandindividuality/whatamilike/idealist.shtml)


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1525

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I only caught the end of that last night Amy, thanks for reminding me that I wanted to do the online version.

I was a Spontaneous/Facts/Heads/Introvert, which apparently makes me a Resolver.

Interesting, the description of a Resolver does sound a bit like me (not prone to inappropriate tearful outbursts when stressed though)but I should go and read the other types to see if any of them fit better.

smiley - puffk


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1526

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

smiley - erm The troops have gone into that siege school in Russia. *worries*

On a much lighter note: interactive lonely hearts ad analysis: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/lonelyhearts/index.shtml. One for Ben, perhaps smiley - biggrin. It's very interesting - apparently men are looking for commitment rather than sexiness.


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1527

Mrs Zen

I tried that a while ago, smiley - blush, I can't remember the result. I have just tried the one about infidelity, and rather to my surprise came out medium 'risk' rather than high 'risk' of infidelity.

One lives and learns. smiley - smiley

B


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1528

Titania (gone for lunch)

The combination Planner/Ideas/Heads/Introvert makes me a Mastermind... hmmmm... not sure I agree with that specific combination...

'Mastermind is the least common personality type in the UK, according to a nationwide survey.'

'Masterminds are drawn to jobs requiring logical analysis or abstract thinking common in science or technical fields.'

The logical analysis bit sounds like my job



6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1529

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1530

logicus tracticus philosophicus

[ltp]
{Scorpio western} -(chinese snake)- Strategists.


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1531

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

[d'E] <-- with a clothespin on his nose
[smiley - dog]


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1532

Hypatia

For those of you who never read the Cranky Gardener - and you know who you are smiley - winkeye - I have signed up for a lawn service to help me with my gardening. I needed to celebrate that raise some way. Well, I won't actually have the raise for two months, but I celebrated early. Anyway, they came yesterday evening and did a marvellous job. The plan is to turn the mowing and trimming over to them which will give me enough time to keep my veggie patch and flower beds in good order. I feel absolutely decadent.

Anyone interested in purchasing a Toro Wheelhorse that has a slow leak in one tire and has caught fire three times this summer? No, didn't think so. This truth in advertising is a real pain sometimes.


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1533

Demon Drawer

Now that we officially know the candidates for the elections in November. I've redecorated the gallery for the continuation of the Presidential Election discussion this can now be found at
F38024?thread=477927

Everyone is welcome.

DD
smiley - devil


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1534

Hypatia

d'E, have you tried tomato juice on Jersy?


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1535

Witty Moniker

That survey was scarily true. I am a Realist - planner/facts/heads/introvert

Loyal and steady workers who meet deadlines.
Believe in established rules and respect facts.
Think of themselves as mature, stable and conscientious.
May appear too logical or tough-minded and forget their impact on other people.


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1536

Agapanthus

I'm off for the weekend, so [Ag] and have a good one all of you!


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1537

Demon Drawer

Just been to the front page we are above Peer Reveis in busiest forums at number 4


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1538

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Every now and then the skunk smell fades just enough to allow the smell of tomato to come through. smiley - groan I did the peroxide and baking soda recipe again which does work wonders, but is hard to use around the face. Jersey Gummo got hit full in the face (probably in the mouth, judging by the way he was foaming like a rabid racoon). So that's where I used the tomato sauce, but it's just not as effective. Maybe some Obsession for Men will work.
smiley - dog


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1539

Phil

DD, the time was when this conversation wasn't on the busiest forum link on the front page was when you knew it was quiet round here smiley - winkeye


6EXth Conversation at Lils

Post 1540

Demon Drawer

Just my first 20 convos have 15 from peer review and two from the atelier.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more