A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 861

Coniraya

*note to self: go back to the links after brekkie*

My dentist employs the tactic of talking constantly, recently about the planning application as he lives further along the avenue. He keeps me distracted, except that last time he had a trainee dental nurse so was telling her all about my mouth and pointing interesting fillngs (it seems I have a few interesting ones) which was a bit smiley - yikes. Still, he firmly believes in NHS dental care, only does entirely necessary work, but when he has to do fancy stuff like crowns, does an excellent job and charges NHS rates.

It was the worst night so far last night, even the electric fan had difficulty moving the turgid air. The next house will have HVAC installed smiley - puff


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 862

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Just home from the Drive In movies. I saw The Village, and King Arthur. Both were a bit better than I expected, but I just don't get why people are calling The Village a suspensefull film. It is very weak in teh suspense part and I saw the "Twist" coming a mile off.

King Arthur was pretty decent, but it varies wildy from Arthurian legend.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 863

Teuchter

Hot and humid at the other end of the Hog's Back too last night Caer. We had the fan on for most of the night.
I'm seriously thinking about a mozzie net - either over the window or over the bed - so we can have all the windows wide open overnight.

I frquently use that 'wittering on' distraction technique too. The trick is to find out what the patient is really interested in, get the nurse involved too and stop regularly to let the patient put in their smiley - 2cents
Mind you, I'm sure one or two of them think I must have been vaccinated with a gramaphone needle.

I would happily provide free dental treatment to Salonistas, but for a couple of things - the major one being that I'm not a dentist! I'm a hygienist so work to a treatment prescription written by a dentist. My profession deals with all sorts of oral matters these days but my main area of interest and expertise is in treating and preventing periodontal disease.

Enjoyed a tinker around on the word count site - my two favourites, periodontitis and gingivitis, came in at 71250 and 72688 respectively.
Isn't 'conquistador' (the last word on the list) a wonderful word?

Well, I'm off for a couple of days to look at gardens with Ma and hoping we can avoid rain and 'differences of opinion'. I swear she winds me up on purpose sometimes smiley - headhurts


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 864

Coniraya

I hope you have a lovely time, Teuchter, if you see any plants that will survive near desert, but shady, conditions let me know. With the summers we seem set to have, I think I shall have to go for Mediterranean plants in the sunny border.

Z, I saw that programme last night too, as the taxi drove off at the end I thought 'Yay, go guys!'. I want to go to Botswana one day.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 865

Phil

[p]


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 866

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I ought to go to the dentist for a check up really. But it's an easy thing to put off.

I had a dreadful night. I did a lot of running in my dreams. To be expected, I suppose.

Amy 7896
the 1
Ant 12173

smiley - biggrin


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 867

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

smiley - ta Hyp - those burgers sound great - exactly the sort of thing I was after smiley - ok

I didn't get a chance to try the mushie burgers last night as I found I had a pressing need to paint a ceiling instead.

I need to go for a smear smiley - blue I had one last year but the nurse cocked it up, I had a second one and they cocked that up too so I have to go back for a third. I am lacking the motivation to do so however. The worst one I ever had was when the doctor pressed down so hard on my stomach that I had the worst dark black bruise I have ever seen that was about the size of an old 50p coin. smiley - bruised

What a horrible experience Amy! Weren't there any organisers there on the day to stop that kind of thing?


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 868

tartaronne

I'm not quite familiar with abbreviations but I take it that GP is the privately practising doctor one 'pays' via public health insurance.

When I was pregnant the first time I had a female GP and nothing she did was uncomfortable - and I had no reason to notice exactly how she prepared me or her instruments.

Then I moved town and had a male GP to examine me 'down under' (nice expression) - and the instruments were cold as a welldiggers smiley - bleep.

So I suggested he should warm them before he used them. He was astounded. He had been practising for ten years and never had any woman complained (or dared to - this was 25 years ago). He was so relieved at the suggestion because - as and afterthought - he had noticed contractions. After that he asked my advice about intimate female stuff. A good GP who wanted to do the best for his patients but hadn't learned or couldn't figure out everything himself.

So Z, don't be afraid to ask, if you think your patients are not too shy or intimidated.

I've never experienced the piece of paper for dignity. Sounds ridiculous to me.

I would like to see King Athur although my 17-year old daugther was not impressed. But one of the Danish actors I like - Mads Mikkelsen - is in it.

smiley - smiley


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 869

a girl called Ben

There's a gynecological discussion going on and I am *missing* it?

Did I tell you about when I had a coil fitted? The GP (General Practitioner - can be NHS or Private, the first doctor you go to for anything other than Accidents and Emergencies) was relatively inexperienced fitting coils, and I obviously have a tricky cervix, (hard to imagine, that, I know), so she was struggling and I was - huh - not comfortable.

Anyway there was a Family Planning specialist in the same practice, so she asked me if I would mind if he came and did it. Hey - what do I care? So she rang him up and went into doctor-speak, and invited him in.

So there I am, lying on the couch, head away from the door, legs akimbo, vagina clean but unsprayed and full of hardware, and in walks the gynie-to-dream of.

Odd to be introduced to a charming witty good-looking man c**t first.

smiley - rofl

Mind you, I am not having that damn thing removed and replaced an hour before I have to. smiley - biggrin

B


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 870

a girl called Ben

PS...

I have always thought of the Prostrate Exam as the goddess's sweet revenge for years and years and years of smear tests....

smiley - evilgrin

B


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 871

Demon Drawer

Amy in all my experiences of running I have never heard of a race being affected by mobs of yoofs. It doesn't sound like the race was very well stewarded if they could actually block the course and hinder passage of the runners. I think it is a shame eespecially as the only running those who spoiled your fun ever do is probably away from the police.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 872

Coniraya

It seems ridiculous to think that it is only the last 15-10 years that there has actually been formal GP training in the UK. Prior to that smiley - doctors would launch themselves into general practise and many didn't even have a Practise smiley - nurse to point out the finer points of patient care.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 873

Agapanthus

I once spent a few very odd years as a pupil at an American International School in Italy, where the pupils were mostly American (children of embassy staff, business persons etc) (with the odd Australian, British and stray assorted as well). The American teenage girls were OBSESSED with this bizarre and nasty concept that everything natural, real, and normal about puberty and womanhood was revolting - pubic hair, armpit hair, leg hair, natural odours, breasts that weren't Barbie-doll shaped, periods, all disgusting disgusting disgusting. The Italian girls were happily trotting about not minding and possibly even enjoying their burgeoning woman-hood and the American ones were tying themselves into knots of agonized obsessing about scented panty-liners and the fact you can't buy feminine deodorant in Italy (and by the way, do NOT use it. It's practically guaranteed to give you thrush. Two American friends of mine got into a very horrid cycle of I (wrongly) think I smell therefore I spray therefore I get thrush and smell really odd therefore I spray even more therefore I still have thrush and not ONE doctor thought to say 'don't use that stuff. And don't douche. Washing is enough.' Then they came to study in Britain and their GP bawled them out and gave them lectures on healthy flora and not messing with it. They take the new gospel back to the States with them... and get teased and laughed at by their pin-head peers).

Sorry Lil, this thread is getting quite relentlessly gynaecological.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 874

Hati

[Hati]


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 875

Demon Drawer

Maybe we sort set up a gynae ward similar to the Presidentail discusssion if this is going to drag on for much longer. I'm skipping posts like crazy just now.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 876

a girl called Ben

Ah, but more men understand about gynecology the better!


smiley - tongueout

B


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 877

Demon Drawer

I can always refer back there when I need info. smiley - tongueout


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 878

a girl called Ben

Ah, but most men don't know they need to.

You could always start a conversation about football or beer-races!

smiley - evilgrin

B


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 879

Demon Drawer

Already have those elsewhere on hootoo. smiley - biggrin


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 880

Ormondroyd

Hey, I *founded* the main Hootoo smiley - football club: A243677 . All Salonistas will be very welcome if you'd care to drop by! smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post