A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1221

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - biggrin
[-B4-]
smiley - biggrin


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1222

Sol

[sol]


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1223

Teuchter

[Teuchter]


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1224

Coniraya

No offence taken here, Tamberlaine.

Apart from the fiasco surrounding postal votes for elections; local council and European Parliament, my main concern for the day is will Philip Green put in a bid for M&S? Reports of the company failing are actually rather bogus, although profits are down on prediction, it is still set to make a huge return this year at a pre-tax gross of almost £740million! which is higher than the previous year. No other store world wide has such a large share of it's domestic clothing market or greater presence. Eat your heart out Gap! I shall be keeping an eye on the City pages.

In the mean time,it looks as if this Bank Holiday weekend will be on the chilly side.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1225

Teuchter

I can't understand why M&S clothing sales are still said to be struggling - I seem to have bought most of their Irish Linen range this Summer.
Yes, there's still a heap of indescribable horrors throughout the clothing departments but there seems to be a lot more attractive stuff than they've had for several years.

And I got a cheap pair of bright pink flip-flops with sparkly sequins for my holibags - rather nasty if truth be told but it's a bit of a family joke that we have 'fun-shoes' on holiday.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1226

Phil

[p] got hit by a bit of an earthquake there. The site was timing out and giving 502 errors all over. Still been able to catch up with the backlog now smiley - ok

Good to hear that you got some well needed rain to help cool the fires down Lil.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1227

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

FG, sorry. I had to work tonight. Long story.

Went to the dentist today and got a lecture because apparently, I'm a good tooth brusher, but not a good gum brusher. What I want to know is why this woman thought that she had to explain gingivitis to me in detail. What really made me laugh/angry was when she tried to explain the process of tooth decay using the metaphor of a house on a cliff. My bad brushing is apparently eroding the cliff, and thus, when the house falls, it's not the house, but the cliff. She then offered to enroll me in a 2 hour! class on proper oral hygiene.

That's when I looked at her and very quietly told her in no uncertain terms that I was not 5, that I had specifically said that I did not want a lecture, and that I did not need to sit in a room with others and learn how to brush and floss. She got rather miffed.

I think I'm finding a new dentist.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1228

Coniraya

I'm glad my dentist chats about anything and everything, but my teeth. As he lives in the same road as me, it's usually the current status of the planning application. Well, I listen and occasionally gurgle as he talks. When I was concerned about the state of my gums he just advised a thorough gargle with a flouride mouthwash last thing at night, but after much and slightly painful prodding says I don't have a problem. smiley - ok

I am in the process of updating Palm desktop to ver 4.1.4. It is taking forever to remove the backup files, has anyone else updated their's recently? In spite of disabling the anti-virus, it doens't seem to be going any faster.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1229

Mrs Zen

Fab story Sol!

Silently reading your posts, Lil, because I don't know what to say.

Tamberlaine - I don't think ex-communication is only a political punishment. Sure, that is all it is for un-believers, but if you are a believer (specifically a Roman Catholic beleiver) then ex-communication is just that - a cutting of your relationship with god. And because of the way that the Roman Catholic church was structured, thereby also cutting off your relationship with your own spirituality. It would also mean you would die unshriven, which was a one-way ticket downstairs, as I understand it.

Caerwynn - "no other store has a larger share of its domestic clothing market"???? That astonishes me! I keep on *trying* to buy from Markies, and year after year I loathe every single garment in the entire store. I even get my undies in BHS these days. Mind you, I was born crumpled, and if I wear linen I just look like Tracy Emin's bed.

B


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1230

Phil

What, you've never looked burned out when I've seen you Ben smiley - winkeye

OK so I don't think bed was in the art warehouse that burned down earlier this week but serveral works by Ms Emin's were.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1231

Coniraya

The story I read, Ben, admittedly in my Daily Comic, was that M&S has 11% of the clothing retail market, more than any other individual chain. However if you put together Philip Green's other holdings, BHS and Arcadia combined they have 13%. No doubt the it would have to go before a merger inquiry if the take over did go ahead.

I think most of the profit though probably comes from food sales rather than clothing. I haven't seena report yet that seperates the two.

This Palm installation is still running. Something must up and I shall have to sort it when I get back from a quick nip to Sainsbury's.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1232

logicus tracticus philosophicus

What, you've never looked burned out when I've seen you Ben smiley - winkeye
smiley - ermWho said ben brought undies from "millets then" or was it or am
i confuseing my bens againsmiley - biggrin
art warehouse that burned "Divine retrobution"
Re excommunicate, also meant you where shunned by
"those that wished to remain catholic"
as you had been denouced as the cohort of the devil, did it not?


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1233

Tamberlaine



6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1234

Hypatia

"Split a piece of wood and you will find me, turn a rock and I am there"

Gospel of Thomas?

Of course it is political. The original James/Paul split was political. The canon was political. smiley - cross Organized religion is about power and control and money. It has to keep justifying it's reason for existentence.

Lil, I saw your fire on the news last night. smiley - hug


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1235

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

I had to look up that bit about the bed.
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/arthist/sharp/issues/0002/pHTML/pTraceyEminMyBed01.shtml

I'm reading Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars that Tell Them book now. It's simultaneously hilarious and astounding. I highly recommend it, though it probably makes more sense to Americans.
smiley - dog


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1236

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


It's a great book, d'E. I love his comments about Ann Coulter!

Cold out this morning -- went down to 40ºF during the night -- and it snowed on Sierra Blanca yesterday. smiley - wow I wish my cats had let me sleep in.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1237

SE

those sorts of books are also horror books in their own way d'E

i bought that book when it went to the 7$ table (surplass stock) but i have yet to read it.


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1238

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1239

marvthegrate LtG KEA

[MTG]


6Ath Conversation at Lil's

Post 1240

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Clean cups! Clean cups! F38024?thread=426993


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more