A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 121

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Thanks for the link Caer, I think the thing that worries me most about the cards is the circumstances under which they can be asked for. Who has the right to see my card or to access the information on it? What penalties would be applied if I didn't have it? I don't take my purse when I go jogging - would I have to take the card? Can any govt bureaucrat demand it?

How do I ensure that the information it holds about me is accurate? How can it be changed if it isn't? How do we stop people copying the cards?

There are a lot of questions, and I have yet to hear a convincing argument from Blunkett that makes me think this will be a worthwhile exercise for the country.


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 122

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

PS Was planning on some gardening today but have hurt my shoulder so can't lift anything. Will have to go and visit some more wedding venues instead. Every time I think I have found the perfect place it turns out to have some fatal flaw - last night I went to see Oakley Court near windsor. Wonderful gothic manor house with beautiful grounds for the photos, very grand entranceway into a panelled foyer with a carved oak staircase....

...except that the bit where the wedding would take place is in the new bit at the side which is a conference centre and looks lke it, plasicky doors, nasty carpets, strip lights *shudder* - I would have to come directly to the conference entrance and never see the other lovely bits of the hotel. Back to the drawing board...


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 123

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - biggrin
[-B4-]
{read the blog, but don't have comments this late at night}
smiley - biggrin


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 124

Teuchter

[Teuchter]


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 125

Phil

[p]


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 126

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

And now I have an excuse to go shopping as I've just heard that my friend's baby was born last night smiley - bubblysmiley - magic

Hello to Anna Elisabeth!


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 127

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

I like the idea of automated speed traps too. On the privacy front they are different in that they are triggered by the illegal activity itself - the camera should only take a picture if a car is speeding or passing through a red light - so people who obey the law are never affected. It's not much different from a policeman sitting with a radar gun, only there is no policeman.

National ID cards are a physical representation of the information that the government has about us anyway. I've never fully understood people's concerns about them. The issue of who can demand to see them is easily legislated. It's best that no one can demand to see them, but that certain circumstances require their use just like we currently have to use other forms of ID. We don't have to carry a driver's license except when driving, etc. It seems more convenient to have a standard, in my view. Having the card or not having the card doesn't necessarily change who knows what.

/* Checks use of apostrophes, then clicks "post" */
smiley - dog


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 128

Coniraya

In Berlin, and presumably the rest of Germany, we had to carry them at all times, failure to do so carried a fine. The Police were entitled to ask to see your ID. In the three years I was there, the only time we had to produce them was to get in to East Berlin, I was never stopped and asked to show mine. This was in the 70s though and times have changed dramatically, we were still '110 miles into enemy territory'.

The intorduction of them here might finally force me into using my married name. At the moment only my passport is in my married name, everything else in my maiden name. I would like to think it demonstrates my independence, but in fact it's 'cos I can't be bothered! My passport only got changed because it was due for renewal.


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 129

Witty Moniker

GPS or OnStar was criticized as ineffective because it only shows the current location of the vehicle. I'm sure I read something about some new vehicles coming equipped with a black box similar to those used in aircraft that records the last 30 minutes worth of technical data. That would document the actual behavior of the operator.

My concern is the folks think everything is okay as long as they don't get caught. I find that morally reprehensible. We need ways to deter that attitude. Knowing that a black box is recording their behavior might do that. The National Safety Council ran a study that showed that states that have primary seatbelt laws (meaning that you can be pulled over and ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt even if that is your only infraction) have much higher compliance rates than those states that have secondary laws (you can only be ticketed if you are pulled over for some other infraction). The study was done on teenage drivers, so the numbers may or may not apply to the general population.

http://www.nsc.org/news/nr040504.htm
http://www.nsc.org/public/teenseatbeltuse.pdf


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 130

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 131

Hypatia

It seems to me that the issue isn't transponders or speed limits. The issue is ancient. What is more important? The rights of the individual or the rights of the society? Going too far in either direction is going to produce unfortunate consequences. Finding a happy medium is difficult.

I have five days left to do 15 days of work outside. And Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be wet and cold. smiley - run


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 132

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I agree with Hypatia, viz my remarks earlier about conflict of interest. I think I've told you about the libertarian fellow who single-handedly succeeded in blocking county legislation for 8 months which would have put the structure in place for FEMA flood insurance. It was coming to a point where buyers couldn't get mortgages in this county.

The fellow's problem? He didn't like the idea that federal agents might be able to come on his land. Loss of rights, the way he saw it.


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 133

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Sorry to interrupt the flow of conversation, but this is important. Dancing robots are always important. Matina may want to take a look at this:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1218/sony_06.wmv

Be warned, it's a large file and you might have to right-click to download and view it. But it's really neat.
smiley - dog


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 134

Witty Moniker

smiley - wow That was great! Thanks, d'E. Where can I get one?


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 135

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Funky!

Raining cats and dogs currently. The water starts in the street and ends in my lawn.


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 136

Coniraya

I liked the little robot dudes! I would love to get an Aibo for Cassie smiley - cat to play with. Those guys are Sony are soooo clever.


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 137

FG

[fg]


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 138

U195408

Sorry Marv didn't mean to single you out in any way shape or form. I was just referring to the hypothetical speeder as "Marv", so I didn't have to write out "hypothetical speeder".

I should also clarify that I generally break the speed limit, by at least 5 mph, but no more than 15 mph. I wasn't trying to criticize Marv for speeding; I was more just pointing out why the hypothetical (in some cases me smiley - smiley) speeder affects others.

Speaking of ID cards...I helped my Swiss friend this morning move some appliances, and we went and got donuts afterwards. He paid with a credit card, and the cashier checked the signatures, and made my friend present ID. My friend pointed out how ridiculous it is to be able to "buy a gun in a grocery store, but I have to present ID to buy donuts". A good point, and quite funny too.


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 139

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

That is quite rediculous.


70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 140

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I can apairentley know spel gud todeigh.


Key: Complain about this post

70Xth Conversation at Lil's

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more