A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1081

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Azahar, glad you made it!

The latest issue of The Atlantic Monthly has a very thought-provoking little essay called the Next Testament. Observing what a pastiche of authors times and styles the Bible is, Cullen Murphy wonders what would be included if the Bible were being compiled in modern times.

Murphy suggests that the oldest source for a new Genesis would be Darwin's Origin of Species, which brings me to my point, in respect of what Bryce said about the extremes of Darwinian theory.

Murphy points out that the first edition of Origin of Species had as its last sentence (quoted in part): "There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been Originally breathed into a few forms or into one..."

In the second edition, Darwin rewrote that last sentence to read: "There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been Originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one..."

Personally I don't think that the two versions actually differ; the clause was very likely inserted as a sop to extremists at the other end of Bryce's spectrum. But I think it's important to the argument for it to be noted that Darwin did not himself exclude the notion of a "Prime Volition" from his theory.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1082

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Clean cups! Clean cups! F38024?thread=376980


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1083

Seth of Rabi

Dear Friends

The British government have refused to extend Mrs Seth's visa.

They have determined that she is not a fit person to reside in the UK (despite being the spouse of a UK national).

Why oh why do I don body armour and helmet on a daily basis for a government that denies my wife safe (and temporary for christ-sake!!!!!) safe abode in my own country ???????

They are dog-shite.

I'm sorry, but the people that you (and I on certain occasions) have voted for to look after our better interests are dog-shite.

I am told that my work here is of great political and military importance. I want to get back home and shoot David Blunkett's dog.

This will probably be moderated.

David Blunkett is dog-shite.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1084

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Who is David Blunkett? This is terrible news. smiley - yikes Seth, can you appeal the decision?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1085

Titania (gone for lunch)

That is really bad news, Seth!smiley - yikes Is there anything you can do about it?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1086

logicus tracticus philosophicus

david blunket is a cabinit minister who happens to be blind who is also the top descision maker for immigration,(secutary of state?) he probhably read the iraq dossier with his hands behind his back.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1087

egon

Bloody awful news.

Lil- David Blunkett is the British Home Secretary.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1088

Seth of Rabi

Section 88 (2) A person may not appeal under section 82(1) against an immigration decision which is taken on the grounds that he or a person of whom he is a dependent -

.....
....
(d) is seeking to enter or remain in the United Kingdom for a purpose other than one for which entry or remaining is permitted in accordance with immigration rules."


How about being worried whether her husbands head is likely to be blown off by an "Improvised Explosive Device" to use the local military parlance? No fu***ng chance. You're black, f**k off back to Nigeria.

Can I make my current feelings plainer than this ?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1089

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

David Blunkett is the current Home Secretary. I wouldn't want his smiley - dog shot smiley - yikes.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1090

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

How long have you been married, Seth?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1091

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

What's your email address, Seth? We need to talk to you on OTD about this. I've just been to your smashing home page and can't find an addy there.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1092

Seth of Rabi

We eventually decided to get married after we were refused entry to Cyprus and got deported last year back to Abu Dhabi. (They're trying to get into EEC, been told to tighten up on immigration).

After 8 months of trying to get married in the British Consulate in Abu Dhabi (problems with paperwork from Nigerian lawyers - not reliable apparently). We eventually married in York on 2nd January.

I flew back out to Iraq 5th January. We've had 2 days so far of married bliss. And I mean, bliss. Mrs Seth has got broody. We had big plans for Valentine's Day when I'm due back on leave. Bit f**king awkward if she's been deported back to Nigeria eh?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1093

Seth of Rabi

Anybody is welcome to contact me on [email protected]. Look forward to hearing from you


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1094

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Gotcha. Watch your inbox.



66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1095

Seth of Rabi

Amy,

I'm not feeling myself just now and am hitting out in all directions.

I have nothing whatsoever against David Blunkett's dog.

I would like David Blunkett to have a meaniningful, but short, relationship with a leopard. A sort of "Out of Africa" message specially for him.

Is that more acceptable?


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1096

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I completely forgot that my ISP's mail server is gone west. smiley - cross Amy will have to do the OTD honours.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1097

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Much, thanks smiley - biggrin.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1098

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I've done my best, Lil. I hope I've done it right - this is the first thing I've done as List Ant.

An email should be on its way, Seth.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1099

Tamberlaine

Seth, I'm sorry to hear that the UK is about as bad as the US as far as visas. Seems the people that actually go through the real process get denied whilst the ones coming across illegally still have little to worry about. INS in the states is a joke.

Brother I feel your pain on the IEDs. We've been getting rocket attacks lately in my neck of the woods. It seems to be new to em and they don't have the aiming thing down yet.

Turning back to the religion thing. Yes, if taught right evolution need not deny faith. Except for the bornagain types who take six days and God's image to mean those things literaly. The problem still lies in the fact that faith by definition cannot be tested by science. Makes it really hard to teach in science class. Yes, you can philosophically reason it out but it just muddies up the whole thing too much for introductory classes.

Also I would like to point out that evil is done in the name of God and good done in the name of man as often as it is the other way around. I good man is a good man with or without religion.

And yes, there are Aethists in foxholes.


66Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1100

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


Thanks, Amy. smiley - hug

The religious discussion is going on at F38024?thread=376980 , the new thread -- Seth's concern is so volatile that I thought it best to keep IT over here.

So you're another one, Tamberlaine, along with Seth. We also have an eatsmice in Special Ops and a Peripatetic Warrior Monk in the Royal Marines, way up the ranks I believe. I wonder how he is? We haven't heard from him in absolute yonks. *frets*


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more