A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1101

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Of course you can stop by any time you like, Manda. smiley - smiley

Something is bothering me. I forgot to jot down people's birthdays in my summary, so I cheated and looked at the birthday page. But I don't recall actually saying "happy birthday" to Courtesy. So happy birthday, Courtesy.
smiley - dog


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1102

Munchkin

[Munchkin]


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1103

Candi - now 42!

Sol:

How about taking some spices in to the class and getting them to use adjectives to describe the smell, or try to have a conversation about what the smells remind them of?

Just a thought. smiley - smiley


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1104

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

I meant to post this yesterday and forgot: http://www.themeatrix.com/ It starts out amusing, then gets preachy.
smiley - dog


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1105

Candi - now 42!

Shame it gets boring so quickly - because it's all true - and most people just close their eyes to the issues. Unfortunately I fear this site is unlikely to make the desired impression on those it's intended for.


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1106

Sol

Actually, that's a good idea, and the whole concept isn't that sily. It's just that it is quite hard to come up with generic tasks to teach say tenses through these senses, which is the idea of the battery of tasks for every aspect of langauge learning which are diferent for visual or auditory learners. The point being, it rather takes the mickey out of the emphasis on those two types if you can't or won't do the others.

I suppose a diferent perfume for different grammar points, or different skills might work. Coursebooks which have a scratch and sniff panel with one smell for the present perfect and another for gerunds. And you could give students diferent flavours of sweets or something too. Third conditional tastes like mars bars and... Oh dear, I need to get some rest.


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1107

Coniraya

I never really got the hang of English grammar which made German and French grammar even more incomprehensible, let alone genders!

So I was wondering, if you were quite happily living in the Matrix but aware that your body was hooked up to a huge computer, would you really want to change things? Would it be a terrible indictment to say that I'm not entirely sure I would be all that fussed?


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1108

SE

*wonders if he has a chance at FTTF today*


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1109

Sol

Obviously, Caer, you were an olfactorary learner whose needs were not being taken care of...

Depends on how much independence within the Matrix you really had. I mean, if it wasn't actually being controlled/ manipulated and you had as much freedom as you would have had on the outside, what is the difference? Aside from the fact that you didn't have control about being there in the first place.

Wasn't there a whole skit in Red Dwarf on that?


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1110

Sol

Where they chose that life, I mean. It was called an adiction, of course, but still.


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1111

Hypatia

[Hyp] with enough to do for 3 people - at least. smiley - run


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1112

Coniraya

Funnily enough, Sol, you may have something there, just a whiff of burnt jam or apples takes me to my grandmother's kitchen and Cuticura talc reminds me of prickly heat in Singapore.

Some scents can make me feel really smiley - cry for no real reason that I'm aware of and others have the opposite effect. I will never be able to smell lilies again without thinking of Norwich Catherdral on a sunny October afternoon with the light from the stained glass windows colouring the stone columns.

Now that might be the way to snap me out of a comfortable existence in the Matrix, I suppose. I think there was a Red Dwarf episode that was similar, it is a theme that reappears all the time in sci-fi. What was the place that 7of9 used to drift off to?


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1113

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence



F38024?thread=344183

Clean cups! Clean cups! smiley - run


61Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1114

Sol

Oh well, it does rather take VR to it's logical conclusion.

Actually, there's a lot to the NLP stuff. In fact, I did know someone who, when revising, used a different perfume for different subjects, and of course to the exam itself. And I'm a very strong visual learner whereas my colleague is aural. If I'm learning a language (or anything else) I need something to look at while I think about it, preferably some kind of diagram or chart, but also tables or sentences and words written down help. I think the reason why I don't make much progress in Russian without clases is because most of my other exposure is aural. I learnt a shedload of new words this summer just by reading, and most of those were ones which I remembered hearing, but had never actualy got fixed. My colleage on the other hand, just finds all that confusing. She needs to hear explanations.


Key: Complain about this post