A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 181

mikerhike - guardian of the wa, and now also of WA

I thought the office of the deputy PM was in place for Images That You Do Not Want In Your Mind.

When I grow up I wanna be windswept and interesting. Oh, I already am.

Wait, no, are we talking about. Nyuh, I think I'll come back later.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 182

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

There's a great song from the musical 'Snoopy!!!' (sorry, all three exclamation marks are part of the title) on the subject of things you wish you'd known when you were smaller. Cute things like "I know now that your bodyisn't leaking when you cry" and "I know now that you can’t trade a bike for a brother" jostle with quite sad things like "I know now that you can’t pack your troubles in any kit bag that’s made." It's called 'I Know Now' for some reason...

I've *never* had to accompany people to the loo at my library. And I sincerely hope I never have to... smiley - yikessmiley - laugh

Incidentally, if anyone wants to visit the smiley - drumroll Library of Doom, you have two and a half years to do so. We're allegedly moving into a new building by December 2008.

Ooh, look at the herd of swine whizzing past my window...


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 183

mikerhike - guardian of the wa, and now also of WA

>Ooh, look at the herd of swine whizzing past my window...

You get them too? They've been doing flypasts all day here. Could hardly hear what the local council bod was trying to tell me.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 184

Lady Chattingly

I've learned that "home" is not a place, but a state of mind or smiley - love.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 185

Mol - on the new tablet

I wish I'd known that I was slim and beautiful. Compared to what I've become, anyway.

Belated birthday smiley - bubbly for Ag.

Can't slag off the ODPM too much myself, cos I've a feeling that's the government department that funds my job. But hey, means they can't be *all* bad. I'm surprised a development of that size got through on appeal, though, if the local planning authority had put forward a half-decent case for refusal. Two appeals where *I* was putting the case against the development were turned down .

They've discovered at work that I know quite a bit about the planning system, so I've been allocated a few planning cases. One of my tasks yesterday was to work out the average height of an approved planting scheme, and then the average height of the scheme that had actually been planted there. The difference was considerable. How on earth can *anybody* think that planting potentilla is going to have the same screening effect as planting a holly hedge? The mind boggles.

Anyway, I discovered on reading The Times today that I have been conducting an emotional affair with ... everybody in the Salon smiley - erm. I'm not sure what to do about this. Apparently, the effects of an emotional affair are more damaging to a relationship than the effects of a physical one. So I think if I smiley - kiss everybody that might make it OK. Would you mind forming an orderly queue?

Mol


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 186

Mrs Zen

One of the Buddhists who used to hang out with my Ma and Pa when I was a wee thing told Ma that I had been a Tibetan princess smiley - diva in a previous life. A conceit only really spoilt by the fact that Tibetans don't actually have princesses. If I'm really good in this one, I hope to come back as a dolphin.

Things I wish I'd learned earlier? Languages. Just about any language, to be honest.

Had my hair cut this evening. Huge quantities lopped off. I'm not sure what it's like, because it's been dried straight. I look like the really stupid one from Slade at the moment, the one that isn't Noddy Holder. Still nothing that a shower won't deal with. I hope. If you hear the sound of sobbing from the other end of the internet, you'll know it was more serious than I thought.

Ben


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 187

Mrs Zen

Queues up to smiley - kiss Mol! smiley - loveblush


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 188

logicus tracticus philosophicus

"I can feel poop coming out of my bottom."
Standerd reply is well pop it back in then, here's a smiley - spork specialy designed for the job, in hand as the say a plop in the hand is worth two in the bush, persoanly think "birds or bushes in hand much better alternatives .

re Lil's post office think its carved corn cobs or potatoes rubbber stamps still not reached them yet


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 189

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

*joins the queue*

If I believed in reincarnation, I'd have placed dibs on a dolphin as well. Though I do like Lady C's suggestion of an otter. Hmm, it seems I have a deep-seated desire to like fish (I don't much). Knowing my luck I'd end up as a pelican... smiley - silly


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 190

Spaceechik, Typomancer

David: << Incidentally, if anyone wants to visit the smiley - drumroll Library of Doom, you have two and a half years to do so. We're allegedly moving into a new building by December 2008.

Ooh, look at the herd of swine whizzing past my window... >>

Just a couple of questions, David --


When the smiley - drumroll Library of Doom moves, will the ducks be moving with it?

and

Just what did you mean by the terms "whizzing" and "swine"? ... smiley - run

SC


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 191

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

smiley - yikes How could I forget the avian population? I shall have to ask about the ducks. And the moorhens (currently nesting). And will have to make sure there's something that leaks and some unstable bits and pieces. It just wouldn't be the same in a clean, safe, ultra-modern, bird-free environment. smiley - sadface The current problem (in addition to my accidental vandalism yesterday) is the lighting, which likes to fail in a random room every Friday afternoon. Generally the video room (or Media Resources), but not always. Always on Friday, though. smiley - weird


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 192

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 193

Bagpuss

[Bagpuss - too busy playing new (old) computer games]


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 194

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I bet my swine are whizzing more copiously than your swine! "Those who violate the law - including a member of Congress - should and will be held to account," [President Bush] said. "This investigation will go forward and justice will be served."

What do you think he is talking about? No, not Tom DeLay. No, not Scooter Libby, nor Duke Cunningham, or Abramoff. Words fail me. Here are somebody else's: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1151AP_Raid_on_Congress.html

I was prepared to maintain my cynical defenses indefinitely until he said that.


Birdie just came in, flopped to the floor, and is panting like a dog. Hot day.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 195

FG

[fg]


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 196

Hypatia

My book came from England. "Walking the Cathedral Cities of England." I have reading material for the evening. smiley - biggrin

Oh. The second season of Little Britain was funny, but not quite as good as the first season. I enjoyed it though.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 197

Ben



A happy evening. I knocked on a neighbour's door to ask if they would feed the cats on Sunday and Paul said "no problem" and came out to admire the view, smoke a cigarette and chat. Then David turned up, and Paul offered produced some Cinzano and Lemonade. So we lit a bonfire and drank Paul's Cinzano and Lemonade. Paul got some wood. I got some wood. We drank my rum, and Jane and Johnny turned up.

http://www.agirlcalledben.co.uk/Bonfire/photos/photo1.html and following....

And now it is late, my kidneys are cold though my face is warm, and I'm off to bed. I have a horrible feeling it might be tricky getting up in the morning though. smiley - erm

Ben


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 198

Sol

[Sol]


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 199

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 200

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Mornin All,

Wake up Ben, WAKE UP, sorry about shouting, nice pics you get some great results from that phone.

I'm happy being a grown up Albatross. It's just a bit tricky these days with all those illegal long liners but I give them a wide berth. Lots of my mates have gone that way though smiley - sadface Still, wing tipping around the Southern Ocean is a very peaceful, contemplative way of life and I'm quite content thank you. Hmm, I wonder what I was in a prvious existence.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more