A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 101

Coniraya

That's the monkey, Witty, thank you smiley - ok

First single? Oh dear, I can't remember could have been 'Lollipop' by Millie, or something by the Who, slightly schizo musical taste there.

First album was probably 'The Monkees' or The Who again.

Well they say if you remember the 60s etc etc. But in my case its just poor memory rather than a good time, I was too young for all *that* stuff.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 102

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])


I would have said my first LP was James Taylor's "Fire and Rain", but then I saw the Disney read-alongs and I remember the FIRST--"Dumbo". I laughed; I cried; it moved me, Bob. (Apologies to Veggie Tales.)

Movie SoundTracks:

Queen's send-up of "Flash Gordon"
John Williams for everything "Star Wars"
Basil Polidouris' enigmatic score for "Conan the Barbarian"
The grandiose and the haunting background music in "Patton"
Did you enjoy the music in "Knight's Tale" as much as I did?

B4igiveawaymymilleniumsmiley - laugh


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 103

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

My first CD was the Greatful Dead's Dark Star. Okay, so it was back in those days...


B4, I couldn't get past the premise of A Knight's Tale, although I do love Bowie and Queen. Other than Holy Grail, there are few movies on the late antiquity through late renaissance that I can watch if they're not somewhat historically accurate. The very fact that there was a Nike swoosh on the armor just made the historian in me cringe....

Speaking of that, does anyone know where I can find a cast list from The 13th Warrior that includes pictures? I can't figure out the character's name, so I don't know which actor it is...


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 104

Titania (gone for lunch)

http://www.rencentral.com/archives/13thwarrior.shtml


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 105

SE

swedish fish. yumm


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 106

Titania (gone for lunch)

There were two Swedes starring in it? And I've never even heard of it until now!smiley - doh


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 107

Titania (gone for lunch)

Maybe this link is better, although it doesn't have photos linked to all the actors:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?13th+Warrior,+The+(1999)


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 108

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I had many albu,s prior to the ones that I purchased, but I list those as being my parents that were given to us kids.

I also have the twin LP of the Beatles white album it has a number stamped into the cover, so I am not sure what edition of it it is. I do not know it they serialized the album or not.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 109

Bald Bloke

The first albums I had were given to me by my aunt,
Mono copies of the early Beatles albums.

Sadly my first purchases were probably some of those C**p late 60's /early 70's compilation albums bought from the local market, on which the only thing belonging to the origial artists was their names.

Foutunatly things could only get better...
Pink floyd - Dark side
Queen - my favorite is still Queen II despite the greatness that is a night at the opera.
The Stranglers.

[BB]


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 110

Hati

*arrives safely through all the 57Xth*
Sorry, I'm afraid I skipped 56Xth or what it was... smiley - erm

My first LP was by UB40, I can't remember though, what exactly.
Soundtracks - Trainspotting, also Armageddon somewhat.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 111

FG

*waves at Hati*

d'E, you say Zeppo has no weapons of mass destruction, but we've seen the evidence--that phone! smiley - winkeye

I didn't count the albums my parents got me. I had a full collection of Disney soundtracks that came in gatefold albums with oversized picture books. They covered from Snow White to the Rescuers, which came out when I was 6. Then when I hit puberty I was embarrassed about this collection and sold it at a garage sale. I remember someone jumped right on those and to this day I could kick myself. I'll bet they're worth some money. smiley - sadface


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 112

Hati

*waves back*

Come to think I had Uncle Remus on LPs when I was a child...


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 113

marvthegrate LtG KEA

FG, My mother held on to all of my sister's and my albums from childhood. 10 little indians. Rescuers. GI Joe.... I think that I need to go rummage through the collection again with a digital output from a good turntable.
Come to think of it, she has all of my vinyl.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 114

Candi - now 42!

My first LP (apart from all the kiddie ones) was:

smiley - musicalnote New Boots and Panties by Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

I asked for it and got it for Christmas when I was seven years old!(and it was the version with "Sex and drugs and rock and roll" on it too!) smiley - cool


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 115

Hati

Oh, and Santa said:
Has been on best behavior most of the year! A real "Nice" surprise. Always plays by the rules. Is a good, polite listener, even when bored. Set a new record of only interrupting 75 times in 365 days! Always says "bless you" when somebody sneezes. Every now and then gets a little cranky. (Like last Thursday?) Let's try and keep the good attitude every day!


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 116

FG

*Only* 75, Hati? Good job! smiley - ok

Marv, my grandmother has some of my mom's records from when she was a kid--brightly colored red and green 45's of things like "Love Potion Number 9" and "Witchdoctor".

*starts humming Ian Dury's "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick"*


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 117

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

[Amy] - *occasionally seen flitting from the Worshop to Lil's Studio and back again*


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 118

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

T, that link was perfect...right off the bat. Dennis Storhoi. Never heard of him, but I just wanted to know who he was. Thanks!

Just got off the phone with one of the professors here...I'm a reader for next quarter for Tudor England. So, next question...what can anyone tell me about Tudor England?

*suddenly realizing that she still has a paper to write, disappears*


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 119

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])


Everyone (especially Amy the smiley - ant) seems to be busy tonight.

Okay, fess up! How many of you had a Kenner "Close'n'Play" phonograph? I had something akin to it. Three, count 'em, "3" speeds: 78rpm, 45rpm, and 33-1/3rpm. I used to be fascinated at how it dropped each of the vinyl platters onto the mat and then let the tone arm swing out and (maybe) hit the groove at the "lead-in" section so you heard every note in glorious monaural sound!

Years later, when I aspired to become an audiophile, I cringed at the thought of letting the vinyl smack around like that. Aaaaargh! Nothing but the best for MY favorite LP's: non-static plastic covers instead of the paper ones provided by the manufacturer; DiscWasher fluid and brush to clean the record between each playing; a ZeroStat 'gun' to dissipate any stray static charge that would ruin the sound quality; play it on a linear track turntable to reduce the 'wow' and 'flutter'.

What have we come to these days? CD's and DVD's you can stick in your pocket. (What ever happened to all that wonderful 'cover art'? You can't even make out any details on these tiny things!) No needles to clean of lint and dust? Throw the disc into the electronic slide gadget and it's over-sampling negates any amount scratches, smudges, or PB&J fingerprints and STILL PLAYS THE MUSIC! Who am I kidding? I LIKE the advances in the technology.

smiley - coolB4itwassmiley - cool


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 120

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

:: mumbles to himself while pushing the "Refresh" button repeatedly ::

Why am I so out of synch with all the rest of these folks? Time zones? Work commitments? Differing lifestyles? Bad karma? (I had a bad Karman Ghia once, but that doesn't have any bearing on the situation, except the bearings went out, on a date I think, therefore I am what I yam, usually served with marshmallows, made by Sta-Puft, and zapped by the GhostBusters, Keaton was a silent film comedian, though Michael played the role of Batman, so was the BatMobile something hung in his crib?, or was that a horseshoe crab that was ornery and out of sorts, or organizes the thoughts and gets back on track because my train of thought derailed and I want apologize for taking up your valuable time with some "stream of conciousness" writing. Just water under the bridge now.)

smiley - taB4iramblesomemoresmiley - run


Key: Complain about this post