A Conversation for 'Final Fantasy' - the videogame series

A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 101

[...]

I don't think it had to be shorter just easier on the eye as it were. smiley - smiley

Say the games in a list and a brief description etc.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 102

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Well, I've started doing this...in fact, it's what other people have also suggested, and probably what the "Evolution" chart should have turned out like. Hopefully this format is easier to use, having a set structure. I'm trying to keep it short; see what you think.

Also, I'm tempted to move it up in the entry. Seems a little silly to have it last, except for the links/final note. But I'll finish writing it first. When I've got more time.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 103

[...]

smiley - biggrin IV, V and VI were released on Anthologies together in the US...

Just IV andV for the European Edition.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 104

Ged42

Wondering whether you wanted to add something about the up coming Final Fantasy 7 mini sequels:

Final Fantasy 7 : Before Crisis
A prequel to FF7 for mobile phones featuring the Turks


Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus
A follow on to Advent Children featuring Vincent, for PS2.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 105

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

We don't know much about DC yet, but probably enough for a mention in this Entry. http://www.adventchildren.net covers BC and DC news as well. There's a BC shrine at http://www.ffshrine.org/before-crisis/before-crisis.php , but it looks as though it hasn't been kept as up-to-date as it might have been.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 106

Geggs

This looks almost finished to me. Just fill in the story and characters for FFV anf FFVI, and it'll be done.

Obviously, there's always going to be further things to add as other titles come out, but that what we have the Update Forum for!smiley - ok


Geggs


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 107

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

Crisis Core announced since Post 105...


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 108

[...]

Final Fantasy XI has been out a while now...

Is it worth mentioning Kingdom Hearts for the cameos by FF characters?


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 109

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

It gets a brief mention in the fourth paragraph.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 110

LQ - Just plain old LQ

OK, I've -finally- done the story and characters bit for V and VI. I've also added a bit about BC and DC, and updated the references to Dawn of Souls and FFXI, seeing as they're now both released - although I haven't actually seen XI in the shops.

Good news - XII looks to be sort of March time next year, so not too much longer! The bad news is that this is roughly the same time as TimeSplitters 3, Devil May Cry 3, Destroy All Humans and Metal Gear Solid 3...and of course lots of work


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 111

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

I've seen a few copies of XI in the shops, but not very many. Paragraph 4 still says it isn't out in Europe at all, so that'll need a slight alteration.

Also, Compilation of Final Fantasy VII now includes Crisis Core -- although all that's actually known about it is that it'll be an action RPG for the PSP.

I probably should have spotted this earlier, but revealing Terra's half-human ancestry (FF6) really counts as a spoiler; it's hinted at from the beginning, but her origins aren't actually disclosed until quite a way through the game.

And regarding 'This is a main entry page from which a growing selection of Guide entries are going to stem about the specific games' -- as I've told you elsewhere, I'm none too optimistic about that as far as the EG's concerned.

Having skimmed through, I reckon that's about all I have to complain about. smiley - smiley


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 112

[...]

I'm afraid FF XII won't hit Europe till at least Winter 2005 which is being very very optomistic.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 113

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Paragraph 4 heavily edited, so I hope it's all correct and makes sense.

Thanks for the Crisis Core bit - I had recollections of a CC but couldn't remember what it was called, or whether it was just Crystal chronicles (even though that isn't an FF VII linked in one)

Have removed the bit about Terra in FF VI - I do need to be told these things, having not played any of 3-6 -(and not all that much of 2 either) and hence have to rely on what descriptions I find on sites. Shame that many of the plots are now revealed to me.

Bit at the start of the links to other guide entries edited.

As for FF XII - well, that sounds more realistic. My date was based on various sites - namely HMV again, I think. Stupid shop. Stupid long time 'til release dates.

Ah well, thanks guys.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 114

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

I think a good general rule would be to be careful about any references to who the final enemies are, given how often they aren't disclosed at the beginning. On a pedantic note, regarding 'evil emperors and powerful maniacs', I think that should be in the singular (one of each). And some people strongly deny that FF6 _has_ a main character, although Terra is certainly the best candidate.

Regarding FF5 -- having played the early stages, I'm confused about the assertion that the elemental crystals return; what happens is that they break into crystal shards. See the plot sysopsis here: http://www.ffonline.com/ff5/ . Sorry I missed that earlier.

I think that's about it, unless you want to add some general external links; I've found http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/games/video-games/final-fantasy/.html very useful regarding the earlier games, though unfortunately it's out of date, and I'm also very keen on http://www.ffcompendium.com/ -- but there's loads of stuff out there. Anyway, the decision is yours.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 115

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

smiley - runsmiley - runAnd here's something I should have found out about ages ago... Dashed 'real life' keeping me away from the important things.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/555/555485p1.html
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2004/101604a.html


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 116

Smij - Formerly Jimster

The good news is a Scout has recommended this for the Edited Guide. But we'll hold off accepting it until you're ready. It's been a long slog for you, but I think it's been totally worth it. An amazing piece of work!

Let us know when you're finished and we'll set about processing it for the next stage.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 117

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

I'll do the congratulation smileys thing now, anyway. Well done.

smiley - applausesmiley - bubblysmiley - applause


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 118

LQ - Just plain old LQ

I've tried changing some of the synopses a little, but it's difficult to describe the plot without telling more than you get in the first little bit - and having not played them, it's even harder to find out what you find out in the first bit. I think it seems reasonable at the moment - again, any final advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't think it's too vital though, because I don't feel it's too much of a spoiler to know the main bad-guy's name.

As for the crystals in FFV - my reference was to the fact they've been in previous games. I've made that clearer now.

I have also now included the update about FF III (damn, means I either need to get a DS or have to live without one of the games...aaaargh, tough choice...), along with the sidenote of a sequel to Crystal Chronicles.

I shall add a couple of external links in a day or two when I have chance, though there's so much out there....

And finally - Wow! Yay! FINALLY! smiley - cheers Last chance, RFJS - do you want to be credited?


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 119

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

No, don't worry about that. I shall be content to leave hideously detailed Entries on the specific games lying around the unedited Guide. You've written the Entry, so take the credit.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 120

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

http://www.squarenation.com/index.php?start_from=10&archive=&subaction=&id=&

smiley - runApparently FF2 was announced for Japanese mobiles last month. (As with BC, it's not guaranteed to come to the West; apparently mobile SE games will be released outside Japan 'as soon as the infrastructure is right'. But at least we already have two releases of FF2.)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more