'Final Fantasy' - the videogame series

3 Conversations


The Final Fantasy (FF) canon is one of the longest running series of computer games in the world, and also is one of the best known computer role-playing game (RPG) franchises. The main games have existed on four different consoles (not including re-releases on the WonderSwan Colour console), although other games linked to the series (such as Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles) exist on other systems.


The Company Behind It


Generally known as 'Square', Final Fantasy is the most successful title from a company also known at various times as 'Square Co. Ltd' and 'SquareSoft', though is now 'Square Enix Co. Ltd.'1. Between Final Fantasy V and VI, Square was also responsible for the English language version of the original Breath of Fire game when released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (or SNES) in 1993.

Square is also well known for other games, such as the Mana series, and the SaGa series - both RPGs. More about these games are below, as the first games in each were released, in the West, under the Final Fantasy label!
A more recent project of Square is an RPG/'dungeon hack' called Kingdom Hearts, which is a combination of the Final Fantasy series (multiple games, including Cloud, the hero from FFVII, Selphie from FFVIII and Tidus and Wakka from FFX) and...Disney. Teamed up with Goofey and Donald Duck, the hero, Sora (who uses a 'keyblade' for his weapon - slight remenisces of Squall's gunblade from FFVIII), must traverse Disney worlds and meet characters from both franchises.


The Games


At the time of writing, the main franchise consists of Final Fantasy up to Final Fantasy X-2 and the online multiplayer game Final Fantasy XI. As is all too common in the games market, Europe is about six months behind even America with the Final Fantasy games2, so the next installment, Final Fantasy XII will not be in European shops for a while to come, being as yet unfinished.


All the games are seperate, with different story lines, different characters and different universes - except for a number of features, which there is more detail about later. The essential game stucture remains the same - a 'party' of characters wanders around a entirely new world, talking to people and encountering enemies. For these battles, a set 'arena' is shown, depending on the location of the characters (for example, while wandering the plains the 'arena' would be fields; in a dungeon it would depict walls and artificial lighting), with your 'party' lined up facing your opponent(s). These battles are largely statistic (stat) based, with each character and opponent's hit points (HP) being key.


The labelling and release of the games is largely simple to follow from Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy X...in Japan at least. The first three in the series were released on the Famicom in Japan (which was called the Nintendo Entertainment System, or NES, in Britain and America), with the first game released back in 1987. The following three were published on the Super Famicom (SNES), from 1991 (FFIV) to 1994 (FFVI). FFIV was released in two versions (the original, followed later by Final Fantasy IV Easytype).


But, this is all a bit simple. This is what happened in Japan. FF II, III and V were not released in the US or Europe originally. Because II and III were not around in areas other than Japan, the game known as Final Fantasy IV in Japan became Final Fantasy II in the US - despite the existence of a completely different FFII in Japan. The game was also simplified in the transition, although not as far as the Easytype Japanese version (the US release was supposedly produced before Easytype, and hence may have been a foundation for it). Following on, FFVI became FFIII. As well as all this, a game called Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was released, targeted at US gamers but also released in Japan3, between FF IV and V. And also, re-releases began occuring around this time. To add to all of this, and to make it all even more complicated, around this time, Squaresoft released the first in another of their RPG canons: the Mana series. However, the first in the series was not named this. Called Seiken Densetsu4 in Japan, Squaresoft decided to make sure it sold in America by calling it Final Fantasy Adventure - despite the fact it was not a Final Fantasy game (although it contained some cameos from traditional FF elements such as moogles - see further down). Fortunately, the sequels were renamed with the Mana titles, and the original game has now been remade for the GameBoy Advance, titled in America and Europe as "Sword of Mana". The Final Fantasy brand name was also utilised for the release of the first three Makai Toushi SaGa games - in Western releases, they were called Final Fantasy Legend 1-3. The next three in the SaGa series were released as the Romancing SaGa 1-3 in the West, and SaGa 7 became SaGa Frontier5.


But the next step in the real FF series was in some ways the largest that Square ever made with Final Fantasy. In the three year gap from the release of FFVI to that of FFVII, a new console was released: the PlayStation, by Sony. Square (as it was then) moved over onto the PlayStation, with it's new CD and 32-bit systems, allowing a revolution in the RPG world. Multiple discs were enabled, and FFVII appeared on three CDs, making it a lot longer and more detailed than many other games. Also, Full Motion Videos (FMVs) were begun, and the series was truly born in its modern format. This was released as Final Fantasy VII in all parts of the world (despite the fact nowhere outside of Japam had had a Final Fantasy IV, V or VI) as the game was hyped immensely in Japan before release in the US, so it was quite well known as FFVII already.


Final Fantasy VIII and IX followed on the PlayStation in 1999 and 2000. These both existed over four discs, and developed the computer visuals to new limits. Also on the PlayStation, a number of spin off games appeared. The best known is probably Final Fantasy Tactics, which is a cross between this series and Ogre Battle6, and whilst sacrificing the graphical qualities, this was a very popular game. Another couple of spin-offs starred a mascot of the series, the chocobo (see below for details on the chocobo) - Chocobo Racing and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon (and its sequel, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon 2). Earlier Final Fantasy games were also produced in PlayStation format; some in pairs (such as the game Final Fantasy Origins, which contains I and II) and some on their own (such as Final Fantasy VI).


Then came the PlayStation 2, or PS2. With it came the next step in the Final Fantasy series, FFX. Now on DVD, but also with a shorter game, it only took one disc (although it had a extras DVD with it). However, the graphics in it, and especially the FMVs, display some of the most realistic and detailed visuals in any game in existence; and moreover, Final Fantasy X took the next step with voices for the characters. As opposed to the previous games which had boxes or speech bubbles, the main characters in this game were voiced.


However, the series begins to get more complicated at this point. Partially because of the controversial ending to FFX, the first true sequel to the Final Fantasy series was spawned: FFX-2, which takes the characters and world of FFX two years after the ending, and concludes the story. As well as this, FFXI has been released. This is not the usual single-player fight your way through a pre-determined story, but a massive online game where other players can be met and interacted with. It is worldwide, but in Europe only on computers rather than PlayStation2.


Final Fantasy VII's popularity is now coming to the fore as well, with more games set in the same universe being released. Following the film sequel "Advent Children" (AC) to the game, there will be "Before Crisis" (BC) - a game for mobile phones starring Shin-Ra's internal security force, the Turks, and set before the original game; "Crisis Core" (CC) which will be released on the upcoming Sony handheld, the PlayStation Portable (PSP); and "Dirge of Cerberus" (DC), starring the mysterious gunner Vincent, for PlayStation 2. As can be seen from the pattern of naming, another entry or 22 would not be overly surprising7.


Also, Square Enix have moved back with their old console makers, Nintendo. Although still making games for Sony's PS2, they have also recently made Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for Nintendo's GameCube, and for which a sequel is being developed for the Nintendo Dual Screen (DS, which also stands for Developer's System) system, (these are predominantly multiplayer but offline games), and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GameBoy Advance. This takes the style of FFT, but is a different story etc8 as with the other Final Fantasy games. On top of this, Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II have been re-released on Gameboy Advance, in a single package, but with new added features, such as extra dungeons and story bits. Final Fantasy III is due to be rereleased for the Nintendo DS - the first time this game will have been released outside of Japan, or on a console other than its original (the Famicon, or NES)


FFXII, back to the traditional style - as much as there is one for the FF games - last seen in FFX (in that it is not multiplayer, online or a sequel), is also currently being worked on for the PS2.


The Films and Anime


And on top of all this, there are the films and anime. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, a completely computer generated movie and unlinked to the games, was released in 2001, and upcoming is the film Advent Children, which is based on the characters and world of Final Fantasy VII two years after the events of the game - like Final Fantasy X-2, but in a movie instead. An English language website, adventchildren.net, exists about the movie with many more details. Be warned, though, it contains potential spoilers to the game.
Two anime series have also been spawned from the Final Fantasy games. These are Final Fantasy: Lengend of the Crystals, which follows up the story of FFV, but more loosly than the way Advent Children looks to do for VII, and Final Fantasy: Unlimited (unconnected to any specific game) which was not finished by the Japanese producers but has been resurrected by the American company "ADV Films".
The Spirits Within and FF:U change the style of any of the games by using our own Earth in the story (although in FF:U the characters soon leave into "The Outer World"). They do, however, retain many of the series' central points, such as Cid (although in The Spirits Within, in the credits he is called 'Sid').


Playing the Games


So what does playing a Final Fantasy entail? Well, for a start, you've got to be prepared to spend a considerable amount of time on it - unless you do little else or deliberately rush it, these games are not the sort you complete in a week. With or without a guide.


Also, you've got to like stories. Accept the fact that these are not games where you determine the characters' fates - these have already long been decided, and then viewed by thousands, or more often millions, of others. You get to make decisions in the game, but they often have little effect on the overall story.


There are about four really major parts in every Final Fantasy game which make up the majority of its length, and then extra bits. The four major parts are: walking, fighting, powering up and watching.

Walking


There's a lot of this. This gets the characters in the story from one location to the next in order to progress the story. Remember in each game there's a whole world. Over the adventure, you'll probably have to go to most of it. Fortunately, you will eventually get some sort of transport, such as a airship or a chocobo, but otherwise, it'll probably be walking (well, running). Whilst walking you'll quite often meet random encounters - see under fighting. Sometimes you'll be expected to be doing something - talking to people, solving puzzles, etc. Other times, it's simply a case of reaching the other end of the road.

Fighting


The main interactive part of the games...fighting enemies; both random encounters and set battles that you've got to fight. When the fight begins, the screen dissolves in one way or another (e.g. the screen goes into a whirlpool in FFIX; or the screen breaks like a pane of glass in FFX) and you end up in a screen with two lines of fighters - your team facing the enemies. In some of the games, each team member has the option of being in the "front row" or the "back row" - being in the latter halves the damage that character takes from physical attacks, but halves the damage they deal with physical attacks as well, and hence the back row is usually for the mages among your team. Characters can switch row mid-battle - at the cost of a turn.


The neat line arrangement is not the case in FFX-2, where the characters can move around the battlefield and will stay there, allowing attacks to the back of an enemy, increasing damage.


The fighters will take turns to hit each other. In FFIV, the Active Time Battle (ATB) was introduced, and has remained in every Final Fantasy game since, bar FFX. These are gauges which fill up over time, and when full, the menu for that character's possible moves is made available. In IX and earlier, you can select the instructions immediately, but the character will not act until everyone who has had their commands entered previously (including the enemies) has acted, meaning quite a backlog can build up. In X-2, some actions can occur at the same time as other ones, making it more realistic.


The moves available, and the way of affecting which ones your characters can use, vary from game to game, based on the power-up system. More details about these can be found in the specific game entries.

Powering up


This is also a major part of the games: choosing how you want your characters to develop and what stats and abilities you want them to have when they are in battle. This changes drastically between each game, and it can often take a long while to understand how the system works fully, especially as the systems are usually introduced a bit at a time.

Watching


Yes, yes, we know...it's a game, not a film. But watching the story progress in cut-scenes is one of the very major parts of a modern Final Fantasy game, and in the earlier games there was still a lot of talking to read. At these points, you can put the controller down (unless you want to feel any vibration there may be for the scene), sit back and relax...or feel extremely tense, depending on the scene. These will usually progress the story, will often cause revelations in terms of their impact on the way the plot is going, and may well cause you emotional feelings such as shock, horror, unhappiness or joy. And the developers have taken these opportunities in the more recent games to produce what are probably the pinnacle of the Final Fanatsy games: the FMVs (see above). These showcase the most realistic graphics developed at the time of production and are often truly stunning.

Listening


Not necessarily one of the main points involved in the games, as you can go through them without turning your speakers on, but it can be very worthwhile turning the volume up for these games. Not for the sound effects usually; not even necessarily for the voices in the PS2 incarnations; but rather, for the music. A very large proportion of the music is written by the composer Nobuo Uematsu, although his influence has decreased recently - he has only written the main theme for the upcoming Final Fantasy XII, and was not involved in Final Fantasy X-2 - and has now resigned from Square Enix to found his own company, although this will not preclude him from working with the company in the future. His work is much loved by many fans of the series; so much so that CD soundtracks are available of the game music - but only in Japan. His theme song for FFVIII, "Eyes on Me", sung by Faye Wong, sold 400, 000 copies and won "Song of the Year (Western Music)" in 1999, at the 14th Annual Japan Gold Disc Awards. At the time of writing, there is soon to be a series of concerts of Final Fantasy themed music in Chicago9.

Other stuff


Yes, there is other stuff, such as mini-games (some of which are optional, some compulsary) but the above parts make up the most of the game. If you don't like one of the parts, then quite potentially, Final Fantasy will not be a game for you. So: ye now be warned.


Recurring Features, or Why you might experience a feeling of deja vu


And, as promised, some information about the continuous points for those not in the know.

Characters


To be honest, you may well recognise some of the characters despite the fact they are new to any one of the games. When the heroes are actually characters rather than simply figures who have no background and no specific personality (as is the case in FFI and FFIII), the main party often follows a slightly typical mould - such as the hero using a type of sword, being rather self-centred, and his parentage playing an important part in the story. The heroine will be quite innocent; often using magic rather than physical force in battle, and she will be fundamentally involved in the plot. Often there will be a passionate, dedicated secondary hero, who uses physical force and is devoted to the mission he is involved in.


However, as well as these, there are characters who do retain their names. Cid is the most memorable of these. He appears usually in a quite high position, such as the head of SeeD in FFVIII or the Regent of Lindblum in FFIX (SeeD is an organisation that trains and hires out mercenaries; Lindblum is a large city on Gaia, the planet of FFIX). He was one of the main playable characters in FFVII, but not since. His appearance changes between the games, as does his character, but the name remains. He has a tendency to own airships or other vehicles.


Another pair are Biggs and Wedge; they often appear together - they were two of the rebellion group AVALANCHE in FFVII, and were two members of the army of Galbadia in FFVIII. They don't appear with anywhere near the regularity of Cid, but they do re-occur in a similar manner. Their names are taken from Star Wars IV: A New Hope - a couple of members of Luke Skywalker's X-Wing squadron are Biggs Darklighter and Wedge Antilles.

Summonable creatures


These appear in all the recent Final Fantasy games, although their title (Summons in VII, GFs in VIII, Eidolons in IX, Aeons in X), their ranks and the number of them changes quite drastically between games10. Some are always kept though: namely, Ifrit, Shiva and Bahamut; and others make regular appearances, such as Odin and Ramuh. Many of the names are taken from gods and heroes of legends, and in some cases, major religions, such as Bahamut. The summons kept remain with the same approximate appearance, although obviously visuals are improved through the series. In the older games, when summoned, they appeared, a cut scene played and they disappeared. In FFX, they stayed and fought, controlled by the player, in place of the party. Some specific details:


Ifrit - A traditional beast from the fiery pits of Hell; he is sort of like the minotaur with control over fire. He has immense strength and throws rather large rocks at the enemies - or you, when you have to beat him. His name comes from Indian myth, where Ifrit was a god of fire.


Shiva - a graceful, beautiful queen of cold; she has blue skin, little clothing and complete control over ice. She tends to freeze all the land around her opponents and suddenly destroy it, damaging them. She shares her name with the third deity in the Hindu Trimurti, but the Hindu Shiva is male. He is the Destroyer. However, the Final Fantasy Shiva's name is derived instead from Shirahime, the Japanese goddess11 of snow and ice. The '-hime' suffix was dropped due to character limitations in the earlier games, and corrupted slightly to become 'Shiva' in the West. Even with lengthier names now possible, her name has remained as Shiva.


Bahamut - a large dragon with immense, non-elemental powers. Its name cames from Muslim traditions, where Bahamut is a giant fish, supporting on it a bull, which has upon it a mountain, and above that are the Hells, Earth and the Heavens.


Ramuh - a wizened old man with a staff and power over lightening. He is sometimes replaced by other lightning summons, such as Quetzacotl in FFVIII, and Ixion in FFX.


Odin - a warrior riding on a horse with too many legs; he always uses the attack Zantetsuken12 which instantly kills all enemies by chopping them in half - if they're vunerable to the attack. Odin, or Wodin or Woden, was the king of the Gods in Norse mythology; after whom Wednesday is named.

Monsters


Many monsters remain throughout the games, sometimes with the same name and sometimes not. In FFX-2, most of the monsters from FFX are used, but usually with very different names. The ones with their names kept here represent the most regularly recurring ones, such as:


Malboro - this old 'favourite' is a large plant thing with lots of tentacles and a large mouth - it looks vaguely like the Venus People-Trap in the musical Little Shop of Horrors - and it has the despised "Bad Breath", which inflicts several status ailments on all party members. All too often does the party suddenly meet this, and before you know it all party members are Blinded (regularly miss when they attack), Poisoned (lose health every few seconds) and Confused (attack each other) or Beserk (automatically attack the enemy). At this point, all you can do is sit back and hope you regain control of one of them before they wipe themselves out...


Behemoth - A large purple bull-like thing that usually has the ability to use "Meteor" which will heavily damage your party (let's just ignore the fact that meteors are the things that burn up in the atmosphere and meteorites are the ones that hit the ground...) Again, not all too nice...


Tonberry - A relatively innocent looking, little13, usually green creature that is bipedal, wears a sort of cloak, has glowing yellow eyes, a small tail, and carries a lamp...and a knife. Known in the earlier games as 'Pug' (and 'Master Pug'), it walks very slowly towards your party, then if still undefeated (which is qite likely, as it has a lot of health) stabs you with the knife. If you do try attacking it, often you'll be hit back by it's "karma", which deals damage depending on the number of enemies that character has defeated. Despite its innocent apearance it can be an opponent that you will come to fear until you can defeat it easily, reminding you of the important phrase: Trust No-one...


Cactuars - well, the name sort of gives a hint...they're basically cacti, and used to be called 'Cactrot'. However, they take a humanoid form: imagine a stick figure, where the sticks are replaced by green, ridged cylinders. They are given a quite comical, unrealistic pose - their limbs are always bent at right angles and alternate between two positions (backwards and forwards) without passing inbetween. They are extremely agile, and hence can be hard to hit, and often run away from battle. When they don't, they can use the move "1, 000 Needles", which inflicts an augmented 1, 000 damage on the target. Jumbo Cactuar also exists in some of the games, and is a much larger version (at least three times the height of your characters). It can use "10, 000 Needles", which works on the same principle but hurts a lot more.


Iron Giant - although their name changes slightly sometimes, they're often there...and they are just large sort of humanoid robots that carry a large sword and enjoy slashing your party to bits.


Ahriman - as with Iron Giant, the name of Ahriman changes sometimes. Their body is basically a large eye, covered in a strangely coloured skin (often red), and it has wings and a tail. Often hard to hit, due to the fact they fly, they use attacks based on their glare - often Confusing your characters (see description of Malboro for what Confused characters do).

Creatures


And now, for those loved creatures (or maybe not...): the chocobo and the moogle.


Chocobos are large yellow birds that run around on two legs at quite high speeds, and can be ridden by humans - they're the horses of Final Fantasy, being about that size and exploited for turning things and riding in much the same way. They are available for the player to ride at various points, although the method for getting them changes a lot between games.


Moogles are little white, vaguely cat-like things with wings - supposedly designed as a cross between a mole and a bat14. Yes, odd. They don't always appear, unlike chocobos, but they make a few appearances. Unlike most chocobos, they have the power of speech.

In-jokes


They turn up with a pretty good frequency. Whether it's Zidane in FFIX commenting, on seeing a large sword, "I used to know someone with spiky hair who used a weapon like that" (Cloud, the main character from FFVII) or Gigamesh appearing as a summon in FFVIII, still sometimes equipped with the sword "Excalipur" from his first appearance in FFVI (does minimal damage to all enemies), be prepared for sly references to the game's own history.


And This Week's Top Eleven...


A quick description of each of the games:

Final Fantasy I

Story - The Four Light Warriors embark on a quest to save the planet from the darkness that has enveloped it...

Characters - Four undefined characters; the player chooses their class and name at the start, but they have no personality.

Current availability - Part of the PlayStation game Final Fantasy Origins. Also on GameBoy Advance on a package called Dawn of Souls, combined with Final Fantasy II. In Japan, it is being released as a mobile-phone game for NTT DoCoMo Mobiles.

Final Fantasy II

Story - A rebel army tries to overthrow the tyrannous regime of the Paramecia Empire over the world.

Characters - Three set members (Firion is the leader); various different characters join at points.

Current availability - Part of the PlayStation game Final Fantasy Origins. Also on GameBoy Advance on a package called Dawn of Souls, combined with Final Fantasy I.

Final Fantasy III

Story - Four warriors, chosen by fate to become The Light Warriors (yes, as in from the first game) try to stop the overflow of darkness into the world.

Characters - Four undefined warriors, again. The player has a choice of job classes for them.

Current availability - It's not. This one has never been rereleased on a newer console, or outside of Japan; the only one pre-VII to be as such. It has been announced that it will be rereleased on the Nintendo Dual Screen (DS).

Final Fantasy IV

Story - Dark Knight Cecil has successfully completed his latest mission - the capture of the Water Crystal - but is dubious about his commander's ambisions. He is betrayed by his friend and must fight his way through the world in order to save it.

Characters - Cecil, a soldier for Baron's army who becomes dubious about what he is required to do, is the main character, and the only constant member. In this game, the party consists of up to five characters at a time.

Current availability - Part of the PlayStation package Final Fantasy Anthology

Final Fantasy V

Story - The four elemental crystals play a major part in the story again, and must be saved from the Dark Knight X-Death.

Characters - The party is led by Bartz, a Crystal Warrior and a nice guy who happens to get crushes a little easily. He is accompanied by a set three other characters - Faris, the female leader of a band of pirates; Galuf, an old man with no memory of his past; and Reina, the princess of the kingdom Tycoon.

Current availability - Part of the PlayStation package Final Fantasy Anthology

Final Fantasy VI

Story - The blue-haired Terra prevents humans exploiting the magical powers of a race of creatures called Espers and fights an evil emperor and a powerful maniac in the process of trying to save the world.

Characters - Terra, the only female lead before FF X-2, is the main character - as much as there is one. She is accompanied by a complete variety of allies: 13 in all.

Current availability - In the US, it is part of the Playstation package Final Fantasy Anthology. In the UK,
available in PlayStation format on its own. Comes with a PlayStation 2 demo disc for Final Fantasy X in the UK.

Final Fantasy VII

Story - The world-wide corporation Shin-Ra is tapping into the energy of the very planet to power their unethical workings. A violent protest group, AVALANCHE, tries to stop the company and ends up on a quest to save the planet, as well as stopping it from destroying everyone on it in its self-defense...

Characters - The extremely reserved mercenary, Cloud, leads the team with his iconic giant sword; he is joined by up to eight others (two are entirely optional): Aeris, a flower seller pursued by Shin-Ra; Tifa, a childhood friend of Cloud; Barret, an empassioned fighter against Shin-Ra; Red-XIII, a lion-like experiment of Shin-Ra's genetic R and D labs; Cait Sith, a fairground toy with dubious loyalties and even more dubious fortune-telling abilities; and Cid, a disgruntled would-be astronaut are the six set allies. Yuffie, an obsessive thief, and Vincent, a gunner with a dark past15 are potential allies, if the player works out how to get them.

Current availability - Available in its original format and a Platinum16 rerelease on PlayStation. Also available on computer, although this is no longer in production.

Final Fantasy VIII

Story - Galbadia has started a policy of taking over nearby countries, including Dollet and Timber. After becoming a member of the mercenary force SeeD at the start of the game, the dispassionate Squall is sent to help liberate Timber - but as they reveal the true power behind each front, the party have a much larger challenge on their hands...

Characters - Only the six: Squall, an expert with the gunblade17 is the main character; he is apparently mismatched with the passionate, overly-optimistic Rinoa. They are aided by fellow SeeDs Zell (a fiery character who is too easily riled by the insult "Chicken-wuss"), Selphie (a friendly, extremely clumsy girl), Irvine (a sharp-shooter and ladies' man) and Quistis (logical and lethal).

Current availability - Available in its original format and a Platinum rerelease on PlayStation. Also available on computer, although this is no longer in production.

Final Fantasy IX

Story - Queen Brahne, ruler of Alexandria, launches a series of unprovoked attacks on the other nations on the Mist Continent. Her daughter, Princess Garnet, runs away in an attempt to get help with stopping Brahne, and ends up in a quest to save all life on the planet, Gaia.

Characters - A party of eight characters, led by Zidane, a thief with a tail; Princess Garnet (Dagger), a summoner, is the main female; and they are accompanied by the viera18 Freia; the pompous knight Steiner; Vivi, the timid black mage; Eiko, a little girl who is a friend of the moogles; a cold-hearted mercenary, Amarant; and the very odd creature Quina.

Current availability - Available in its original format and a Platinum rerelease on PlayStation.

Final Fantasy X

Story - Tidus is propelled one thousand years in the future by an evil entity called Sin. He fights alongside Yuna, a summoner, and her guardians, to try and defeat Sin and return home.

Characters - Seven characters; the hero is an impulsive, outgoing Blitzball19 player called Tidus (Tee-dus); his love interest, the selfless Yuna; and are accompanied by the mysterious warrior Auron, the detached black mage Lulu, the bigoted Blitzball player Wakka, the entusiastic and passionate Rikku, and the ferocious Ronso (a bipedal blue furry creature) Kimhari.

Current availability - Available in its original format and a Platinum rerelease on PlayStation2.

Final Fantasy X-2

Story - Spira20 is under threat once again; this time from a giant machine called Vegnagun - the ultimate weapon, but unable to distinguish between friend and foe...

Characters - Yuna and Rikku return from FFX, and are joined by a new, reserved woman called Paine.

Current availability - Available in its original format on PlayStation2.


Other Entries in the Guide


Some appropriate links to look at for more detail about the specific games and genres involved are as follows:


A basic description of the Final Fantasy series

A description of Final Fantasy - the original game

A guide entry on Final Fantasy VII

Role Playing Games explained

The Final Word on the subject...?

Final Fantasy is a popular series. That means that there are an awful lot of websites out there with a myriad nuggets of trivia, guides, fan-fiction and even just useful information. However, a couple of places to use to start any quest for more information are:


Final Fantasy XI official website - information about the online game world and ability to create an account to play if you have the game.


Final Fantasy Compendium - a site with enormous amounts of information, but full of spoilers.


Final Fantasy Insider - A fan site with lots of info.


Final Fantasy Online - An unofficial site containing news about Square Enix and the series, as well as information about the games.


Eyes on Final Fantasy21 - A fan site with a lot of information about the series and links to similar sites.


Amano's World - The homepage of Yoshitaka Amano, design artist for the first six games and FFIX. Unfortunately, at the time of writing, the section on his Final Fantasy artwork is still under construction.


Final Note on "Final"


Wondering, or complaining, why they're called Final Fantasy when there's a series (like Final Destination)?


Very simple: before the original Final Fantasy was released, Square was the dream child of a Japanese programmer, Hironobu Sakuguchi. However, he, and Square, were seriously short of money. So, in the aim of doing what he really wanted to do before the company went bankrupt, he put together the idea behind the original Final Fantasy game. He got the permission to make it from his publisher, but everyone felt that this game would be the final nail in the coffin of Square.


Hence, the game was his "Final Fantasy".


The game was obviously actually very successful, and with the name well known, rather than changing it for the later games, it remained the slightly contradictory Final Fantasy...

1This follows their merger in April 2003 with the Enix Corporation (who had previously made the RPG series Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior).2Which in itself is about six months behind Japan, although the translation required makes this more acceptable.3Under the title of Final Fantasy USA - Mystic Quest - or the Japanese equivalent, rather.4Legend of the Holy Sword5As you've probably already gathered, following Square's naming and releasing of games is often even more complicated than following the game plots.6A game from an isometric viewpoint, where the player recruits their own army of characters which are used to fight strategy turn-based battles.7Well, 22 more instalments, including ones with the initials QC, XC and ZC, could be a touch unexpected8But unusually, the same place (or at least the same name) - Ivalice. This is also the name of the world in FFXII.9Arnie Roth conducting the Chicagoland Pops Orchestra and the CPO Festival Choir10For example, there are around 20 different GFs in FFVIII, compared to only 8 Aeons in FFX.11The '-hime' suffix denoting her to be female12Except in FFVII, where it was translated to Steel-Bladed Sword.13Except Mega/Master/King (etc) Tonberry, which unsurprisingly is rather larger.14Which is where their Japanese name, Moguri, is thought to come from - "mogura" (mole) and "koumori" (bat).15Not that this is too unusual in Final Fantasy games...or most other fiction, for that matter.16Sony rereleases its most successful games on the "Platinum" label - suggesting, possibly, that they're the most valuable; or possibly that the disc costs as much as its weight in platinum (as opposed to more, like the originals). Basically, it's a less costly version of the original.17A gun with a large sword attached; the blade is the main weapon, but the gun can be fired to increase damage18A bipedal grey rat-like creature19An sort of underwater rugby/football/basketball hybrid20The world from FFX and FFX-221The name is based on the theme song from FFVIII "Eyes on Me"

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2591129

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more