A Conversation for 'Final Fantasy' - the videogame series

A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 61

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

I've added a few things to the FF7 Entry (A2713556) and sent it to Peer Review: F48874?thread=432906


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 62

me[Andy]g

Looks really good to me, having played FFIX and FFVII... and also watched people playing FFVIII, FFX and FFX-2 smiley - oksmiley - smiley

A couple of things - there is a moogle (Mog) on FFX, it's one of the little animal-type-things that Lulu carries round with her.

The other thing is something you can either choose to mention or not, since it might take a bit more research and I can see you've done lots of that already... and that's the music and especially the composer Nobuo Uematsu. http://www.nobuouematsu.com is a good place to look... especially if you can play the downloadable piano sheet music! smiley - smiley


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 63

LQ - Just plain old LQ

OK, quick checklist of points...

I think sticking in the formats of SaGa and Mana is unnecessary and would make it less clear to read, so I'm leaving it out.

Dealt with anime, check; dealt with FF:CC, check.

Ogre Battle links/info...shall do later; too late tonight, with Eng 1 in morn.

FFIII rumoured re-release, now in conditional tense - that OK?

Tried to make "traditional style" a little clearer, see what you think. MMORPG - is there a "scorn" smilie?

Blade of Steel exception added, check; materia defined extremely technically as globes of magic goop, check.

Last point of RFJS_: It definately is too late. I'm pretty sure I can pick out five or six different occaisions when I mention it. I'd expect more to get complaints of over-repeating that point than of not mentionning it. Try the first large paragraph under "The Games" for starters.

Next post: congrats RFJS_! Shall spend a little more timelooking at it/the links when I have a little more time.

Next post: Thanks; mentioned Lulu's voodoo Moogle, though not Lulu by name (it'd just complicate things); I shall have a look into doing some stuff about the music soon. I can't believe I've overlooked it quite frankly...I love it. Shall be done in nearish future, if not in great detail.

That's it for the moment.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 64

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Oh, one more thing - am just removing the comments about the specific guides "coming". Seeing as one's now in PR and the others will be around sometime...

Anyway, not really a suitable comment for when it's picked and moved out of my Edit Page button reach.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 65

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

Okay, point taken. Sorry about that; it occasionally happens at around midnight.

There isn't a scorn Smiley, and Smileys aren't allowed in Edited Entries anyway.

Now we wait for the Scouts...


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 66

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Dinnae worry.

I wasn't wanting a scorn smilie to put in the entry; I was just expressing my feelings towards the term MMORPG here.

But apart from the odd bits I mentioned, then I suppose it largely is just sitting back and waiting...


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 67

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Okayze, I've stuck in the third link RFJS_ suggested for Ogre Battle, along with a very brief footnote; I've put in a small paragraph about the music and nicked RFJS_'s link for the Nobuo Uematsu site and changed an odd other couple of points that I can't remember even now.

I haven't got anything more right now that I want to change. So, either say something...or Scouts, come and get me!

NB, FordsTowel, if you see this, are you honestly going to tell me because I'm on the fourth page of posts that my entry isn't suited? smiley - winkeye


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 68

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

No; that point was conceded.

I get the impression the Scouts have been digging up the older Peer Review threads recently, so they may be looking to get some of the older Entries sorted out; but hopefully they'll come for this one before long.

Hopefully.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 69

Researcher PSG

Any comments on this anyone?

Researcher PSG


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 70

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Not from the response I've had over the last month.....

I'm going on holiday the day after tomorrow, so won't be around to correct anything that comes up in the next fortnight and a bit. But I would still like any response....even saying I've got to do a bit more on it; at least I would feel there is a reason behind the wait...


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 71

Ged42

Seems like a good article to me.smiley - ok
Didn't see any glaring errors, though i haven't played all of the games.

note: in the PC version of Final Fantasy 8, there was a bonus Guardian Force, which was linked into a mini game called Chocobo World (which i think was originally on the Wonderswan system). Once you got part a certain point in Chocobo World you gained the Moogle GF, which did a dance that replenished your other GFs health.

Also you didn't seem to mention the Cactuars.

Kupo!


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 72

Laura

A great entry smiley - biggrin. I've played VII, VIII, IX and X, though part way through X I got bored of computer games and general so never finished it

Didn't see much in the way of mistakes. Just a typo of 'king' in the paragraph about Odin and one of the last senstences of the article doesn't read all that well. smiley - smiley


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 73

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Thanks!

Obviously bumping does work...

"Though i haven't played all of the games"
Well, neither have I.....

With the moogle thing in VIII, I put "No moogles in the main game", which I meant to mean without doing Chocobo World, which many players probably won't have had chance to play. But I see your point, so I'll change it, in a second.

I added a section about cactuars in the Monsters section, after Tonberries (I feel they go together, somehow)...dunno why I didn't think of them before. I don't want to put all recurring monsters down, but cactuars are a major one, so thanks for the reminder.

Corrected the typo of "king".

I'm not sure much of the last par reads particularly well. When I'm a bit more awake, I'll reread it and see if I can make it a bit better. This may be tomorrow; if not, it'll have to wait for me to come back.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 74

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

'note: in the PC version of Final Fantasy 8, there was a bonus Guardian Force, which was linked into a mini game called Chocobo World (which i think was originally on the Wonderswan system).'

It was on the PocketStation, a simple portable system that can connect to the PS/PSone, and was only released in Japan. So if you don't have the PC FF8, you need the Japanese PlayStation version, and a PocketStation, to play Chocobo World.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 75

Researcher PSG

*nudge*

Researcher PSG


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 76

LQ - Just plain old LQ

I rewrote the last section - possibly more than necessary, but it should hopefully be clear now.


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 77

Laura

That's much easier to follow smiley - ok


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 78

LQ - Just plain old LQ

I corrected a couple of little flaws - a couple of typos; getting PS One mixed up with the PlayStation.

Anyone else got ANYTHING to say?


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 79

FordsTowel

LQ, But of course!

First of all, I very much appreciate the level of detail and the diverse coverage of this topic. I was a bit afraid of what I might see when I clicked the link, but I was very pleasently surprised and even impressed. smiley - ok

I do have a couple of notes for you. First of all, regarding the summon Shiva. While you are correct about the god "Shiva," this is not where the name of the summon comes from. The original name of the summon was perverted in translation from something resembling "Shira." Shirahime is the Japanese goddess of ice/snow. The -hime affix designates a female ruler. This was dropped to give "Shira" to make room in the text limitations and, later, changed to "Shiva" as the nearest equivalent known to the translators. I'm sure you'd agree that "Shira" is a much better fit. smiley - biggrin

For completion of history, you might choose to mention earlier names of some of the recurring monsters, such as "Pug" and "Master Pug" for Tonberry and "Cactrot" for Cactuar. Also, the Ahriman/Veteran has become a common enough addition since FFIV that it might merit addtion.

In FFI, the classes don't quite remain the same throughout the game. Upon obtaining the Rat Tail and presenting it to Bahamut, each character is advanced in class. They remain the same type, but not technically the same class. Just a bit of nit-picking, as that's all there is left to do.

You might choose to mention, as it is an innovation, the magic leveling system of FFII. Likewise, consider mentioning that FFIII is the first FF game with choice of class progression.

And, as a minor note of something you might wish to include: the names of the characters Biggs and Wedge were not randomly chosen. They were two named members of Luke's X-Wing squadron in Star Wars - A New Hope: Biggs Darklighter and Wedge Antilles.

Again, many thanks for a high-quality treatment on a game series I have loved from the very first.

smiley - towel


A2591129 - The "Final Fantasy" Series

Post 80

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Thank you for your compliments, FT, and for your advice.

I've changed the stuff about Shiva - that makes a lot more sense now.
I mentioned 'Pug' and 'Cactrot', and I may check a site or two later to see if there are any others, and I've included Ahriman - though as it has had different names at various points, as I remember (Evil Eye at one point?) I haven't mentioned specific other names.

I've added the stuff about B&W, and the sidequest of improving the classes.

As for the stuff about FF II and III - I might add that if I can find out some more stuff about it...


Key: Complain about this post