A Conversation for Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Movie

Post 1

samcollett

Did you know about the Lord of the Rings the movie is coming out next year? I live in England so have to wait until December 2001, maybe it will be late Summer in the USA?

The websight with information regarding the movie is (URL removed by moderator) and it contains a preview of the film (if you view it on a standard modem it will take a long time, but it does tell you about the making of the film and some clips from it).
I'm sure that it won't be as good as the book (your imagination is used when reading a book, but a film is someone elses viewpoint). If it was a straight copy from the book, it will be too long (ie the amount of time you took to read it).

I'm sure the film will be very good (it did cost more than the Titanic film, so there will be hopefully be spectacular special effects).

After the film, a computer game will probably come out (there is one already for the Super Nintendo, but it isn't that good).

If you search on the internet for the Lord of the Rings there are many fan sites out there.


The Movie

Post 2

Sylvia, pokémon trainer(with her Oddish)(Minister of emerald green, keeper of green magic)

Yeah, I can't wait to see the movie. But for some reason, it hasn't been publicized very widely in the USA. I've just barely heard of it.


The Movie

Post 3

samcollett

It hasn't really been publicized much in the UK. It is only when you do a search on the internet for Lord Of the Rings that you find it. I have seen no TV or Video adverts for it yet - maybe when they widely publicize it there will be very impressive previews, just like the one on the website. Another good site is (URL removed by moderator)

I think the preview you can see on the website is the official one they are going to show on TV, Video and the Cinema.


The Movie

Post 4

Mormegil

There will in fact be three movies. Each named the same as the three books that make up tLotR.

The Fellowship of the Ring (the first movie) is to have a simultaneous world wide release on 19 December 2001. The next two will follow in December 2002 and 2003.

Whilst there will be a year between releases, all principal photography has already been completed (Last day of filming was 22 December 2000). There will now follow 18 months of post production work.

The first theatrical trailer will be released with the film 13 Days (released in US in Jan 2001) and will not be the same as the internet trailer released last April.

I have been following the progress of these films for the last 9 months and apart from one or two concerns I am very impressed with what I have seen. The Lord of the Rings was voted the greatest book of the 20th Century, these films will be amongst the greatest films of the 21st.

As well as the official web site (URL removed by moderator) (this is to be completely updated on 13 Jan 2001, when the trailer is released) and (URL removed by moderator) another great web site dedicated to the movies is (URL removed by moderator) (This contains The Council of Elrond, probably the best Tolkien discussion board on the Internet)


The Movie

Post 5

Sylvia, pokémon trainer(with her Oddish)(Minister of emerald green, keeper of green magic)

Cool! smiley - smileysmiley - smiley


yey! :)

Post 6

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

thanks 4 al that info Mormegil, its really hard 2 find out about it.
i'm looking forwards 2 them, i only hope that they havent made too many changes to the original story like some films do. ah well. have 2 wait & c!


Yaay!

Post 7

Jerms

Yes, I know that the last posting was in January, but I just have to say...

THE LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIE IS COMING OUT TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at least in New Zealand.
I'm going to the first local showing at 12:01 am tonight, and I'm still counting down.

Currently at 6 hours, 9 minutes.

...Oooohhh! I can't wait!

(*Bouncebouncebounce, with associated frustrated fisty-waving motions*)


Yaay!

Post 8

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

its out 2night here as well (UK) but i dont get 2 go & c it til the weekend! smiley - sadface


LOTR: Movie

Post 9

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I saw it last night. Over all it was good. There were bits that were really good, and some bits that were pretty bad. They changed much more than was necisary.

If you've read the book revcently, I'd wait a year before watchin it so you don't catch so many of the errors.

It's not as good as it should have been.


LOTR: Movie

Post 10

Jerms

Actually, I really liked it.
I knew the armourors/weaponsmiths, before they started woring for WetaTechnical so I knew that the props were going to be good. They said that there was going to be some great attention to detail, but I didn't think it would be /that/ good.
I make chainmail myself, and I knew that the stuff they were going to use for the movie was going to be really good, but I /really/ wasn't expecting that mythral halberk (I don't want to describe it in case I spoil something for someone who hasn't seen the movie yet). It is perhaps the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. If it had actually been made out of silver, it would probably be worth about 12 million dollars (NZ - I think that's about 4.5 million pound). It would take me about six years non-stop to make that, without help, by hand.
I'm going to go and see it again, and hopefully I'll actually /watch/ the movie, instead of drooling over the armour and the jewellery. smiley - biggrin


LOTR: Movie

Post 11

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

There were many parts that were excellent. Some things disappointed me. They changed too much. I didn't care much for anything they did in Lothlorien. Moria was spectacular.


LOTR: Movie

Post 12

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

my mate was jus on the fone 2 me & his reaction was jus "Oh my God!" (spoken in extreme awe over & over again!)
he said the balrog, falls of rauros & beginning were fansatic (& probably sum other bits i cant remember). hes a fan of the books & there was only one point where he wiondered if it could have been handeled better, then (as it developed) decided it was better the way it was in the film. he wont say which bit until ive seen it tho!

question 4 those that've seen it; is the slaying of the nazgul king done well? & when frodo & sam lay down b4 being rescued? (or has that bit been changed?)..ok. i'll answer my other questions wen i finally get 2 go c it!


LOTR: Movie

Post 13

Jerms

Ok, I'm still rusty on the names and places and stuff, but the nazgul king was the orc/human-cross fullah sent out by Saromon(?), yes?
If so, then yes, it was done really well.
Enjoy the movie. smiley - biggrin

I want to go and see it again, but the theater is booked full for about the next week. Curses. smiley - sadface


Nazgul

Post 14

Researcher 188007

Don't read this if you haven't read the whole book!
The events Omylouse refers to won't be seen till Xmas 2003! Meanwhile, check out the main review for the film under 'The Fellowship of the Ring'.


LOTR: Movie

Post 15

Myriad

* possible spoiler for people who haven't read the book *














No - the Nazgul king is the Witch King of Morgul. He was the most powerful king to be enslaved by Sauron and ruler of the nine Nazgul - under Sauron's complete control - of course. His last moments do not arrive until the third book of the trilogy entitled "The Return of the King" - and it is an excellent scene - among the best of the whole trilogy.








* spoiler ends *

The film is excellent - and must be actually viewed as a film - NOT a book. It has to have forward momentum or it gets bogged down. Whereas Tolkein can have the hobbits staying overnight in Tom Bombadil's house and eating various splendid meals, in a film that would be just plain tedious - however well done it would be.



Myriad.


The Movie

Post 16

Researcher 190100

i have red all of da book seen movie and am 13


The Movie

Post 17

Researcher 190100

bong


The Movie

Post 18

Rod, Keeper of Pointless and/or funny discussions or statements

Among the best films I have seen.
Myriad, when you said that the slaying of the Nazgul-king was the best scene, were you refering to the book or the film? If to the film, how do you know?


The Movie

Post 19

Myriad

No - I mean the book - I'm sorry if my use of the word "scene" was a little misleading but I could not think of another appropriate word.

Cheers,




Myriad.


The Movie

Post 20

Babel o' fish...back to earning a crust!

I've seen the film three times now and intend to buy it on DVD which means I'll be buying a DVD player. Not only will a video not do it justice, the tape will soon wear out.
Back to the film. My biggest gripe is with the screenplay. On the whole it isn't too bad BUT the absence of Gandalf when Frodo crosses the ford is a bit much. I hate to be an anorak but how come Arwen has the necessary "skill" to rouse the water in the fashion of a wizard to wash away the Nazgul?
Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing the Two Towers later this year and then the return of the King in 2003.
It goes without saying that the film is better than the animated version of 20 years ago (by a factor of 100 [at least]).
Anyone disagree or agree?


Key: Complain about this post