A Conversation for Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Tolkein = Shakespeare?

Post 1

Decaf Silicon

Tolkein seems to be the prose version of Shakespeare: His works contain subtle themes, and his humor complements his drama. Most clearly, though, is the density of Tolkein's writing. We surely all remember stumbling over incomprehensible Shakespearian passages in high school, then learning the meaning and exulting in Shakespeare's talent of hidden messages.
Tolkein has the same effect on me. I've found myself scanning a page (or two or ten) without grasping a thing -- seeing something vital -- and going back to read it all over again. Finally, of course, I exult over Tolkein's talent of hidden messages (sense a pattern?).
Thus, it's no act of hubris to place the two masters of English on an equal plane.

-- Nick Douglas


TolkIEn = Shakespeare?

Post 2

The Prophet of The Admirarchy (please ask for suitably cryptic replies))

Can we really take anyone seriously who posts under Lord of the Rings and yet cannot spell T O L K I E N. No idea about the Shakespeare thing but it sounds moderately implausible.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more