A Conversation for FANTASY FOOTBALL - Season Eleven - "Euro 2004"

next season

Post 1

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

great fun, and i'm looking forward to doing it again. what is the normal ff season like? only premier league fixtures, or are there matches from other championships or uefa competitions?

the format is very good, more than just w-l-d and still not too complicated; that's why i'm reticent about making any suggestions, but... here goes:

in most matches there is a rather obvious "best" pick: obviously france won't always beat greece, holland won't always beat portugal and v. nistlerooy and henry won't always score, but in the long run, the strong teams win more and the top scorers score more.

it makes things more interesting and lively to pick greece to win or maniche to score, and that's why so many of us made picks like that: we're here to have fun! but there is a way to reward this originality: if someone is the ONLY person to pick a winning side or a scorer, he gets a bonus point.

i'm not sure it's a good idea; first of all, more complicated = less fun (von arglebargle's 32nd axiom). second, judging from the attitudes i see in the vsc, we may end up with everybody picking underdogs all the time just for the sheer hell of it. but discussion is why we're here, so let's discuss.


next season

Post 2

GreyDesk

The matches tend to be geared more towards the Premiership. If for no other reason than that is the division that most people will know the most about... at least in theory. There are regular diversions into other divisions to satisfy those players who support more lowly teams. Therefore both the Sheffield clubs feature quite regularly as do Plymouth, Bradford and Scunthorpe.

Generally speaking my aim is to pick 'interesting' matches. That means relegation battles, local derbies, that sort of thing. I try to shy away from obvious matches as much as possible: even to the point of declaring a moritorium last season on any further Arsenal matches as everyone (usually rightly) went for a Gooners win with Henry to score.

I quite like your idea of rewarding originality, and it is certainly something I will bear in mind for next season. I don't think that it would be appropriate in all games, but I'm sure that in certain declared matches it, or something like it could be deployed.


next season

Post 3

Secretly Not Here Any More

"There are regular diversions into other divisions to satisfy those players who support more lowly teams. Therefore both the Sheffield clubs feature quite regularly as do Plymouth, Bradford and Scunthorpe."

*cough*

*mutters*'ndLeeds....*mutters*


next season

Post 4

GreyDesk

Yes but you weren't a proper lower team last season despite all appearances to the contrary.


next season

Post 5

Secretly Not Here Any More

Touche...


next season

Post 6

spook

*cough*

Chesterfield

*end cough*


next season

Post 7

GreyDesk

What's this? Am I supposed to be taking requests already smiley - headhurts


next season

Post 8

McKay The Disorganised

*cough*

Coventry

*cough*

In fact lets face it, most of us are in The Championship nowadays.


smiley - cider


next season

Post 9

Mu Beta

I am still very confused by all this Championship business. At first glance it looks like Division 3 has simply been deleted, which is worrying in the extreme. smiley - erm

B


next season

Post 10

spook

- The Premiership
- The Championship
- League 1
- League 2
- Conference

That is the new set of leagues!


next season

Post 11

Mu Beta

I still don't like it. 'League 2' sounds definitely inferior. As if it's just been jammed on at the end. I'm campaigning for a silly name for the old Division 2.

B


next season

Post 12

GreyDesk

Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Zeppo perhaps?


next season

Post 13

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

then conference would be gummo?


next season

Post 14

egon

And then, below conference are two entirely new leagues, Conference North and Conference South.

Oh, and *cough* Cowdenbeath *cough*


next season

Post 15

GreyDesk

"Conference North and Conference South" - Stan and Ollie smiley - ok


next season

Post 16

Secretly Not Here Any More

"I'm campaigning for a silly name for the old Division 2."

Is that the old Second Division now The Championship, or the less old Second Division now League One?


next season

Post 17

Mu Beta

Er...the Second one. smiley - biggrin

B


next season

Post 18

Secretly Not Here Any More

So the Old Third Division then?


next season

Post 19

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

it all sounds like the names they give to olive sizes in the US: "extra large"? that's the microscopic grade. then you get "jumbo", "colossal", "humungous", "so big it should be illegal"... etc. the liga is like that too (probably all the olives they eat in spain...): the fourth place team is called "los galacticos"!


next season

Post 20

Ormondroyd

You know, I've been thinking about this too. It seems wrong that the top two divisions have dramatic-sounding names, and levels five and six at least have a memorably eccentric one, but levels three and four are stuck with names that are both boring and misleading. ('Conference' always sounds to me as though they don't actually play football, they just talk about it.)

I would suggest that League One be renamed 'The Reckoning', which suggests both a showdown and all the administrators and accountants frantically making calculations to try to keep the clubs going. League Two could become 'The Struggle', which is appropriate for that level of the game for obvious reasons. 'We're gonna win The Struggle' has quite a nice ring to it, don't you think?


Key: Complain about this post