A Conversation for Oliver Cromwell

Oliver Cromwell

Post 1

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Okay, so we have an entry on the English Civil War, but not on the head of the winning side, Oliver Cromwell. Anyone know anything about him and fancy writing an entry?

Do we have a budding Antonia Fraser in the house?


Oliver Cromwell

Post 2

HappyDude

winningsmiley - huh

I belive we live in a constitutional monarchy not a republican commonwealthsmiley - spacesmiley - tongueout


Oliver Cromwell

Post 3

HappyDude

A523450
A622937
for those intrested in the civil warsmiley - spacesmiley - winkeye


Oliver Cromwell

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Well, he *did* win. It was those who superceded him who 'lost'. ish. smiley - winkeye


Oliver Cromwell

Post 5

HappyDude

I don't even think ya can say that that with any great conviction as for most of the war he was not in charge either military or politically, with Sir Thomas Fairfax being i/c of the New Model Army and until his death Francis Pym the leading parliamentarian politician.

smiley - smiley


Oliver Cromwell

Post 6

HappyDude

I think wot would be nice is a little uni of life style project covering the main characters from the civil war

say
Charles I
Charles II
Prince Rupert
Lord Capel
William Laud
Earl of Strafford
Prince Maurice
Oliver Cromwell
Francis Pym
Sir Thomas Fairfax
and maybe General Monk
smiley - whistle


Oliver Cromwell

Post 7

Number Six

Anyone who banned beer and football clearly didn't understand the English people... no wonder they lost in the long run.

smiley - mod


Oliver Cromwell

Post 8

Z

I don't know anything about this topic, but it would be fun to find out - if anyone needs a hand writting it, I'd be happy to help with things of a GMLish nature..


Oliver Cromwell

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

The Irish have never forgiven Cromwell for what he did in Drogheda.


Oliver Cromwell

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

To expand on that last comment, Irish schools still teach children to think of Cromwell as comparable with Hitler.


Oliver Cromwell

Post 11

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

... Whereas English schools rarely mention him at all smiley - winkeye

smiley - ale


Oliver Cromwell

Post 12

Smij - Formerly Jimster

It occurs to me that I know even less about Cromwell than I realised, as 'Drogheda' means nothing to me.

Do you guys think this might make a good Collaborative project, in the style of the old Topics of the Week? We've been thinking about bringing them back in some way, and I think that more specific topics like this might be a good way to go.

What if we were to do a call for information on Cromwell? Would that be enough inspiration for one person to volunteer to compile the contributions, do you think? Or has anyone here already started work on this?


Oliver Cromwell

Post 13

sprout

It would be great to have the topics of the week back - they were much more fun than the talking points and brought a lot of researchers into contributing to the EG for the first time.

The only thing with having very specific topics is that the researcher volunteer is going to have a lot of editing/ gap filling to do.

Unless they work like Master B's project of course, with people volunteering for one or more preset topics? Either way, a one week deadline wouldn't be long enough?

sprout


Oliver Cromwell

Post 14

Smij - Formerly Jimster

What we did with the later Topics was *promote* them for a week, but not set a deadline for them to close or be edited by a certain date.

Hmm... I think this is going to be a good topic to start with though, keep it specific so hopefully it *doesn't* get too chaotic at first...


Oliver Cromwell

Post 15

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

keep me posted. it depends on where I'm at with teaching, but I'd be interested in contributing a thing or two. John Pym...did someone mention John Pym?


Oliver Cromwell

Post 16

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Keep your eyes peeled later on this week smiley - smiley


Oliver Cromwell

Post 17

Woodpigeon

Drogheda is a town in Ireland, just north of Dublin. Cromwell's army committed a huge massacre there, and then went on to commit similar outrages throughout a number of other towns in Ireland. Irish history is not kind to him.


Oliver Cromwell

Post 18

Z

I'm looking forward to seeing the talking points back, they were always fun to contribute too smiley - biggrin

I was wondering if it would be wise to have a volenteer researcher/editor before it went on the front page.

And we could have a page where researchers with ideas for talking points which they were willing to edit could volenteer.

Z


Oliver Cromwell

Post 19

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Ah, Z, ever the practical one, aren't you? I'd offer, but who knows what this quarter will bring?


Oliver Cromwell

Post 20

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I think we'll probably run this the way we did in the past. After one week, we'll ask if one volunteer (or, in cases where the entry looks to be getting hefty, a small group of volunteers) to collate the contributions into some kind of order, and then once it's ready it can go via Peer Review.


Key: Complain about this post