A Conversation for Oliver Cromwell

Cromwell etc.

Post 1

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Interesting. So maybe we republicans *can* have our hero, after all.smiley - smiley

One thing that I'm aware of, as a Scot of English Ethnic Origin is how little British history I was taught at school. We touched on The English Civil War, of course, but I was totally unaware of The War of the Covenant. I'm sure you'll know that it was the Covenanters who captured Charles I and handed him over to the English parliament, having negotiated their own terms.

How did I first learn of the Covenanters? I saw a box of 'Covenanter's Assortment' chocolates - surreal but true.


Cromwell etc.

Post 2

HappyDude

No republican, an evil military dictator who was succeeded by his son on his death.


Cromwell etc.

Post 3

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I should point out that this was one of those occasions for which I wish there was a smiley.

No - Cromwell's not the role model that we republicans would wish for. HOWEVER - I think that from the previous discussion me might conclude that the position is rather more nuanced. In terms of btutality, he was a man of his time. And while the patriarchal succession was dubious, I don't think the idea that he was a dicator is quite sustainable. The parliamentary situation was more complex than that.

Some people argue for a 'slimmed down, Scandinavian-style monarchy'. Myself...I'm more in favour of a *Russian*-style monrachy. smiley - smileysmiley - run


Cromwell etc.

Post 4

HappyDude

hmmm... parliament suspended, the country run by the army through a system of military governors, his son inherits both title and position - yes, the " smiley" is indeed warranted (I normally use smiley - erm when trying to be ironic)

NB: my credentials for this period can be found on
A523450
A622937 (must confess to not being the main writer on this one)
A727265
A695441


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more