A Conversation for h2g2 Freaks

I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 221

Gavi'e

mmm ok whatever i am not a racist i may not like the english but i don't do anything to them i i did that would be me being just as bad as them i have nothing against any english man/woman but i just don't like them as a whole mmm most of scotland is the same and it will be till they sort them selfs out in england

and ps we are no where near equality

and i say sorry to anyone who miss understands me but i canny help it .


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 222

TechnicolorYawn (Patron Saint of the Morally Moribund)

It seems to me (feel free to ignore this if you don't agree with it) that a lot of the Scottish/English rivalry stems from various invasions hundreds of years ago. If this is the case, then there isn't a single country in the world which shouldn't have a burning hatred of someone or other. I mean in the past, England has been invaded by the Vikings, the Romans, the French, the Spanish, The Germans, the Normans, etc, and in many ways we got off lightly.


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 223

Bluebottle

I agree. I mean, what exactly is the cause of this hatred? I'm semi-English, but I'd never heard that the Scottish people hated the English until you said in this forum. Complete news to me. I know they wanted Devolution, but the Isle of Wight has thought of that a lot, and no Caulkhead hates England. It had never occured to me that there could be a hatred of English people from Scotland. Saying "English people have done nasty things in the past" is no excuse - not only because of what Technicolor has so rightly said, but also think of this: English people have often done attrocities to English people. Think of the wars of Mercia, Wessex and Northumbria. Think of the War of the Roses, the English Civil War. England has often fought against England, but does that mean that the English hate themselves? No! That would be stupid. And so is this one-sided anti-English hatred.


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 224

Thistle

actually most countries do have rivalry of some sort and scottish people in general don't tend to hate english, in fact now i think about it, it tends to be 16 year-old boys, although i'm generalising again, sorry. but it does seem to be the case!


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 225

Gavi'e

everywhere has rivalrys and the 16 year old boys thing is very wrong in fact it's the lassie that are always moaning i find anyways that lassies are the ones that pick up on things more than guys .


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 226

Thistle

i don't know one lassie who says she hates english people in general, i know plenty blokes who do tho!!


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 227

Gavi'e

Really ??? thats weird mmm oh well i don't know here it's the lassie like the other day carol and yvonne where going at them for the way they talk etc cause it was on the train oh well it's more to do with something like sport well lads do it .but away we are changing the subject now !!!!!


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 228

Cutlery, co-founding Freak and Patron Saint of Cutting Remarks ?¿

Ahh, sod ya. I'm changing the subject, because this forum is on my (not exclusively) page and I said so. smiley - winkeye

What kind of music is everyone into? smiley - bigeyes


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 229

Gavi'e

what a crap subject ( not that i have anything better )


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 230

Bluebottle

I've been known to like the Beatles.

Last word on the Scottish thing:
I am definately not going to get into this again, but I just want to ask what started this off this weekend? I think it could be one of two things:
1.) It was St. Georges Day
Which shouldn't really offend anyone, as Scotland has St. Andrews Day, and there is St Patrick's and St David's Day too, so that isn't unfair to anyone.
2.) Coulthard won the British Grand Prix.
You say Coulthard is from Scotland - I didn't know that, I didn't care. But he was called a "British winner". Is it fair to say that it is anti-Scotland to say that? Where is Silverstone? I don't know, but it might be in England. Where-ever it is, it is called the "British Grand Prix", not the "English" or "Scottish" or "Welsh" grand prix. As it is called "British", then within the framework of the Grandprix, it represents Britain and not either England, Scotland or Wales, so calling someone a "Scottish" winner at a "British" event would be a contradiction. I also believe that when they have the flags to show what country the person is from, they always show the Union Flag, and not the cross of St. Andrew (for Coulthard) and they never showed the cross of St. George for Damon Hill. Whether the person is from England, Scotland or Wales, they race under the British flag - so it is a British victory.
If they had an "English", "Scottish" and "Welsh" grandprix, then they should have individual flags from each part of the kingdom, and the winners should be declared to be "English", "Scottish" or "Welsh". So as far as the Grand Prix framework, it was right to call Coulthard British.

In frameworks when Britain is seperated into England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, then the victory should be described as belonging to the country of origin, and not "British".
That is fair.


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 231

Archangel Tweetie (01/06/02...)

I like
*deep breath*
in no order BTW:
Blink 182
The Barenaked Ladies
Rasputina
Four Star Mary
The Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Moby
Fiona Apple
Sugar Ray
Matchbox 20
The Beatles
K's Choice
No Doubt
etc...
I've missed some out I know it but I can't remember what they are...


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 232

Gavi'e

look we are droping this ok !!!!! but just for the record i have no problem being brittish as long as everyone else is but it doesn't work out that way


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 233

Archangel Tweetie (01/06/02...)

Ok, subject officially dropped. smiley - smiley


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 234

Gavi'e

smiley - smiley thank you smiley - smiley


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 235

Bluebottle

So, what music do you like?
I also like Wings, Lighthouse Family, and various other stuff.


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 236

Thistle

ok, i've been a matchbox 20 fan forever, as in, much longer than tweetie. but i'm also into fountains of wayne, barenaked ladies, placebo, lit, fool's garden, rem, greenday, ummm... blink 182 i suppose, and the eagles. what have i forgotten? i can't remember, i hate that oh well, you get the general idea.
i like two little boys as well tho, sucha sweet song, and monty python songs are also v cool.
and musicals, les miserable, evita.
would it be quicker to say i like anything and everything?
not dance, trance or any of that particularly, and same goes for pop!
i'm gonna stop now!


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 237

Cutlery, co-founding Freak and Patron Saint of Cutting Remarks ?¿

You're right Gavi'e, this subject is crap. smiley - bigeyes


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 238

Gavi'e

yeah it is crap i mean who gives a damn what music who is into . i sure don't


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 239

Archangel Tweetie (01/06/02...)

So what films do you lot like? A subject near and dear to my heart...
Or is that worse?


I'm a Freak, dammit!

Post 240

Cutlery, co-founding Freak and Patron Saint of Cutting Remarks ?¿

Hmm. Monty Python, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Matrix, Good Morning Vietnam etc


Key: Complain about this post