The h2g2 Post 14.08.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 14th August 2023

The images for this week, entitled Sightings: A road sign that says Vehicles Will Be Held, A Red Admiral Butterfly on a white background, a breaktaking landscape of green rolling hills and a cloud-dotted sky, a tiny brown-striped lizard on a wooden porch, A village boat dock, a white goose peering through a fence, a house made of wattle and daub, a clear glass cup of coffee with bubbles that look like they're looking at you, and a grey cat, sleeping. Below, a pub sign with the picture of a man holding up a glass of lager.

Sightings. They have been looking and boy, have they sighted. Up hill, down dale, indoors, outdoors, historical and metaphorical – they've explored, learned, and above all, read signs. Oh, do we have signs. Folks: you will be entertained and enlightened.

People have gone places they never were before. Kitkat, who lives and studies in Pennsylvania, has been to Wales this summer to sing in an Eisteddfod. Not only did they have a wonderful time, but they got to admire the scenery because after all, there is a lot to admire. Tavaron and her team of mini-adventurers made discoveries in their home country of Austria, only close to the Hungarian border. You can almost see Asterix in these photos, which take us back to the past and forward again in time to avoid being bitten by a goose.

In the Netherlands, Caiman finds more fascinating (and hilarious) public art. Bluebottle shows us more tanks. He's also provided the emotionally uplifting moment of the week with a very thoughtful sign.

Ah, signs: we've got 'em. Signs that make you think. Mostly, they make you think, 'What were they thinking?' Galaxy Babe has spotted a possible sign in her morning coffee. FWR's discovery may be a sign of the apocalypse: if so, it's going to be a funny one.

In the fiction department, Caiman and I are still plugging away, which means if you're in the mood for more weirdness you can head on over to our serial novels. They're getting too long and diffuse to be called novellas, I'm thinking, but I may be wrong. Joining us this week is FWR, who has a short story for you. It's in answer to this month's Post Writing Challenge. If you have an idea you'd like to try out on us, there's plenty of time.

So go romping among this dazzling garden of mind-bending delights. Leave nice comments. Share with your friends. Remember to send Stuff so we can keep bewildering the planet by reminding its people how strange and exotic they are. And have a wonderful week.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: The universe does not exist 'out there' independent of us. We are inescapably involved in bringing about that which appears to be happening. We are not only observers. We are participators. In some strange sense this is a participatory universe.

– John Archibald Wheeler
A refined lady playing the piano.


August 2023 Post Challenge:
A Piano Mystery


Video Extra:
We Didn't Start the Fire
(but we can put it out)
Fun with the Volunteer Fire Department
Click here in Ripley


WONDERS EXPLORED
Cuckoo Roller

Cuckoo Roller by Willem.

STILL WONDERING


SIGHTSEEING


Mystery Lizard

Tiny lizard by Tavaron.


SIGNS




Hug Your Car Today
The sign says Vehicles Will Be Held. By Bluebottle
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
  • Video
  • In or out, chickens?

SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas
(And a new story!)


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88033971

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more