NaNoWriMo 2011

6 Conversations

November is now upon us.

And in Internetland, since 1999, November means it’s NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month.

The idea is to forget about quality deathless prose, forget about nuanced and subtle character building, forget about the millions you could make if only you could come up with the next Harry Potter sensation. Just write. Write like the wind! Write rubbish if you must! But overcome those feelings of daunt and doubt and do it. You can always go back and revise it in December.

A polkadot typewriter

In 2010 200,000 people signed up for the challenge, and 30,000 people passed the 50k mark in the time allowed.

Can hootooers add more to this total this year?

Yes!

In fact, this is not the first time h2g2 researchers have taken part. Create has tracked down some of last year's intepid h2g2 WriMos and interviewed them for the Post, h2g2's newspaper. You can also check out what they and yet others have said on the subject previously here, here and here.

But this is 2011. We have tried to make life ascomfortable as possible for our researchrs as they hammer away at their keyboards. There’s a dedicated h2g2 lounge on NaNoWriMo to hang out at.

And this page for a virtual garret from garret. As you can see there are threads to sign up, drink a lot of black coffee, bitch about you characters, tease out those plot tangles and talk about the methods you are using to keep the writing process going.

Be careful of posting too much of your masterpiece on h2g2 though. A potential publisher might take a dim view of large chunks being already out there. Even if you aren’t taking part, it’d be nice to drop by and encourage those who are.

Roll of honour

Irving Washington

Happy Nerd

Jimi X

Evangeline

Nosebagbadger

Mu Beta

2legs

Quill

And these brave people are doing the double: NaNoWriMo AND NaJoPoMo!

Happy Nerd

2legs

Quill

Evangeline


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87708739

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more