A Conversation for Line Dancing

8 bar blues

Post 1

Beatrice

I have a problem with the Electric Slide.

It is an 18 bar dance.

This makes it very difficult to "feel" - your article points out that most dances are in mutiples of 8 bar phrases - which fits the music and feels natural. The same is true in most forms of dancing - ballet, Latin American, tap, Irish........

So why is the Electric Slide so commonly taught as a beginners dance?

smiley - star


8 bar blues

Post 2

Cheerful Dragon

I would say it's classed as a beginners dance because the steps are easy. I don't know the dance myself, but I would guess that the dance tempo isn't too quick, either. 'Angel Rock', a dance I mentioned in the 'Quo' thread, has easy steps but a fast tempo (132 beats per minute = 132 steps per minute!), so it's classed as intermediate.

Oh, and the steps are in multiples of 8 *beats* not 8 *bars*. I did mention that I'd seen some that don't fit this rule, but they are rare.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more