A Conversation for The Lord of the Rings - the Animated Adventure

Sorry, but no...

Post 1

il viaggiatore

The animated Lord of the Rings really is a piece of crap. The sloppy animation is painful to the eye. The fact that it was "cutting edge" for the time doesn't make it any less so. The score is disjointed and, especially near the end, disorienting. The hack editing renders large portions of the film unintelligible to someone who hasn't read the books. The scene with Frodo and the Ringwriaiths at the ford of Rivendell makes no sense (horses swaying and whatnot) and lasts about ten times longer than it needs to. Many of the characters look ridiculous (Aragorn and Boromir) and all the women have freaky bug eyes. Gollum is all wrong. etc. etc.
To call this "one of the best feature-length animations of all time." is laughable.


Sorry, but no...

Post 2

Kevin of the Apocalypse

I completely agree. The pain I feel while watching this film is almost as great as the pain I'd like to cause the self-rightous Bakshi.
On a side note, Bakshi never made a sequal because his backers didn't WANT him to make a sequal. The first one did so dismally. I've always prefered the Rankin/Bass adaptations of Tolkien's work. Other than the very well done live action of course.
Of course, as with your entry, this is just my hummble opinion.


Sorry, but no...

Post 3

Old Uncle Zarniwoop

One of the most consistant myths about the film is that is flopped, and was in fact a considerable success. The film has always divided people, and probably always will. If the animated film had been made now, it could have been a classic. However, they just didn't have CGI in 1979 smiley - smiley


Sorry, but no...

Post 4

il viaggiatore

I don't know anything about its success, I was just posting my opinion of it. Since you liked it, how do you think the new films compare?


Sorry, but no...

Post 5

Old Uncle Zarniwoop

Of course the new films are fantastic, but I still like the animated version. Probably becasue I like the voice acting so much, John Hurt inparticular.


Sorry, but no...

Post 6

BlackmagicM66

Well I can honestly say I love both the animated movie and the new movie and cant wait to see the next part of the movie, has anyone else heard of wizards and fire and ice by ralph bakshi.smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more