The Loquat Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Loquat

0 Conversations

The loquat, or Eriobotrya japonica, is a multi-tasking ancient tree that has quietly spread across the globe over the millennia. Originating in South China, it has been cultivated in southern Japan for a thousand years if not longer. This is reflected in its alternate name of Japanese Plum1 although it is also known as 'Medlar'.

It is currently cultivated around the Mediterranean, and is also found in the southern United States and Hawaii, carried, reportedly, by the Chinese on their journeys. It grows in Brazil, Israel, India, Taiwan; it seems to grow pretty much everywhere citrus trees grow, in fact. Some time spent examining the proliferation and spread of the different varieties will reveal interesting historic movements and developments, some truly mysterious. Several varieties are grown in India, for example. Among them is a series named after the colours of the rainbow: Akhdar (green), Asfar (yellow), Ahmar (red), and so on. No-one, however, seems to know why Lebanese varieties of loquat are grown in India2, nor why they are so whimsically named.

Indulge Your Senses

The tree is a lovely umbrella shape with large dark shiny green leaves, providing much relief in terms of shade. It is an evergreen, losing leaves all year round. New leaf growth is furry and soft, a delight to touch. It also provides a rather luscious little fruit that, from a good crop, will taste sweet and sensual. The seeds are like smooth wet brown pebbles, shiny and slippery, and the flesh is often a deep orange (some varieties have white flesh). As if that were not enough for one tree, the flowers are fragrant as well.

Eat Me

So how does one ask for a loquat at the greengrocer's? Well, in Spanish, it is identified as nispero japonés or nispero del Japon; in Portuguese, ameixa amarella or ameixa do Japao. The Italians call it nespola giapponese; French-speakers prefer néflier du Japon or bibassier while Germans favour japanische mispel, or wollmispel. In Egypt, it is called bashmala but the rest of the Arab world calls it askedinya3.

The fruits are most delicious eaten fresh. The fruit opens perfectly between thumb and fingers revealing the seeds; the skin is thick enough to peel away easily. The fruits can, however, also be 'dried, preserved, stewed, made into jams, jellies, sauces, syrups, compotes, liqueurs, pies, drinks, and fruit salad. The roasted seeds have been used as a 'coffee-like drink' according to one source. Do be wary of the seeds though—they contain amygdalin and are purported to be poisonous in large quantities.

This fruit is used as a sedative, for quenching thirst and halting vomiting. In some parts of the world it is also used as an expectorant, releasing mucus from the chest.

Propagation

They don't grow well from seed, rarely producing fruit this way. Unless you are au fait with the art of grafting (in which case you will probably also need a quince tree), the best way to grow a fruit-producing loquat is to grow it from a cutting. Even better, find a tree you covet and convince the owner to allow you to air layer, or clone, it. This is a great way of growing roots from a stem while it is still attached to the mother tree, sustained and nourished by it. Survival rates are much higher than taking a cutting to root.

To air layer, remove a few leaves about a foot down from the tip of a growing stem, leaving a stem section exposed. Scrape the bark from a two-finger-width section of the stem all the way around. Dust rooting powder onto the exposed part and pack with wet moss or equivalent then strap it around securely with clear plastic film of the kitchen drawer variety.

Use a wire twist to make sure the water doesn't drip out of the bottom end. To protect the developing roots you may want to wrap the lot with aluminium foil or sacking. This will protect them from the sun as well as from hungry birds who seem to mistake the little white roots for worms. Or you may choose not to, and use the opportunity to teach your children about the wonders of nature as they see the roots grow.

About a month or so into the experiment, you can cut the new rooted stem. Do be sure to cut below the roots. You don't want a rootless stem and the tree certainly doesn't need roots flailing about above ground. Place your new sapling in a pot until it is established, then plant it in the ground.

Care and Growth

The loquat is a distant relative of the apple and the pear, and is a member of the rose family. As such, it is susceptible to fire blight which can only be controlled by cutting back4 to healthy green growth, dipping the secateurs into a weak bleach solution in between uses. It also attracts scale and fruitfly.

This subtropical tree blooms early in winter. The creamy white blooms are killed by temperatures below freezing but the tree itself will remain unharmed. Further into the season, small fuzzy orange or white fruit will form in bunches or clusters. The loquat needs a lot of sun and warmth, although drought and sustained heat can kill the leaves. Relatively unfussy in the right climate, it grows equally well in acid or alkaline soil, but it must be well-drained. It is also important to protect it from high winds as the root system is relatively shallow. It is an ideal conservatory plant in temperate zones; it is easy to look after and needs little pruning. You could simply apply a little fertiliser just before the growing season and water lightly when the fruit is growing. Other than that, just place a hammock under it and relax.

1Not to be confused with the actual Japanese Plum, Prunus salicina, which is a hybrid plum.2Especially given that the tree originated to the east of India while Lebanon is very much to its West.3 Except in Lebanon, where it is called akkedineh.4The damaged growth must not be composted.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A23708487

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more