A Conversation for Elastic Band Warfare

Rubber Band Weapons

Post 1

Rickshaw Splat

The technique I used at school was to get a strip of paper about an inch wide and 4 inches long and roll it up tightly into short roll. Then fold the roll in the middle to make a V shaped projectile. A rubber band could then be hooked over the thumb and index finger of one hand and the projectile hooked over the centre of the rubber band and drawn back and released. This technique would send such projectiles off at extreme speed and with deadly accuracy.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 2

Bistroist

I must agree that this is the best method of firing, as it reduces the risk of misfire due to hitting your finger with the projectile. This strategy is at its best, when using the small, ordinary rubber bands, instead of the bigger, thick ones mentioned by Rickshaw.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 3

Rickshaw Splat

I didn't mention big thick ones, that was someone else. I agree with you, thin elastic bands are best for this.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 4

Researcher 93445

When I was a child (well before the era of such modern conveniences as the SuperSoaker) we used to make rubber band guns. I hope this is not a lost art, but just in case, here are the steps:

1. Obtain a piece of wood about two feet long, with one end sharpened. The top of a picket fence picket works well. Do not let your father catch you breaking off a piece of your own fence, though.
2. Steal a wooden clothespin from your mother.
3. Disassemble the clothespin.
4. Nail one half of the clothespin to the end of the wooden piece away from the pointy end.
5. Reassemble the clothespin in place.
6. Load by stretching a rubber band so that it's over the pointy end and clamp the other end in the clothespin.
7. Aim and fire by opening the clothespin.

Of course there's a certain risk in that some rubber bands won't take that amount of stretching and break during the loading process, but it's made up for by the sheer range of the resulting weapon.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 5

ravenbait

Frood and I have always thought that cats have that extra fleshy digit for the sole purpose of firing rubber bands. We've just never managed to catch one of them at it.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 6

Sbonk

I usually use only one hand for firing.
Hold your hand as if it were a gun, with the index finger stretched out, and point the thumb upwards. now you can put one end of the rubber band on your index finger, around the thumb, and hold the other end with one of the remaining fingers.Then you just release it and hope you've hit someone! The best thing about this method is that you do not need any sort of projectiles, other than the rubber band itself, and if you are good at it, you can have one ready in each hand.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 7

Dinsdale Piranha

Aahh! The Stealth approach. This is best employed whilst not looking what you're doing, then there's no chance of your victim looking up suddenly and seeing you looking at them.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 8

Hammy of Hamster (died, still moving)

How about a nut tied onto a rubber band. It is accurate. and powerful. A little too dangerous perhaps. I have never used it in anger though> i don't wanna hurt anyone.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 9

Bald Bloke

Similar idea to that used in a drawing office where I used to work.
the ammunition used was machine erasors which were round, an inch long and the same diameter as a pencil.
When working on a master drawing, reference drawings were often pinned up on poles at the back of your desk.
The first you knew of an incoming attack was when the weapons punched holes in the refence drawings.
Closly followed by comments which can only be translated as "MY THAT SMARTS" and immediate retaliation.

The consumtion of sticky tape repairing drawings was amazing.

Inexperienced users of these weapons could always be spotted by the bruised thumb nails.

Other varianents included:-
An eraser morter, consisting of a large cardboard launch tube, a long string of elatic bands for power and a large eraser (2"x2"x 1"),
The effect of a hit was devestating

Various prjectile upgrades, including packets loaded with french chalk
or drawing ink (Very nasty)

and although not involving elatic bands Blowpipes and Darts made of cardbord tube and rolled plastic drawing film tipped with bits of rubber.

With a bit of luck this lot should liven up a few office fridays.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 10

Kiz

I find that the 'rolled-up paper tube' is highly effective at annoying my teacher and classmates. Just wanted to say that.

----
From Kiz.
The Caffeinated One.
----


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 11

Bistroist

I've never had time to make such an intricate weapon. I usually just put one end of the rubber band over one end of a ruler (steel, plastic, wood or whatever) pointing directly towards the target, pull the other end of the rubber band backwards, and release.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 12

Researcher 93445

Well, time was somehow much more plentiful 30 years ago.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 13

Bistroist

Well, the rolled-up paper tube is a classic for hand-to-hand duels, but it can't compete with the rubber bands distance and ability to use projectiles. Rubber bands, by the way, can be really nasty in close combat, if you manage to sneak up at people and get a good "schmack" at some tight jeans.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 14

Kiz

No, you misunderstand. I was referring to the method that was stated at the beginning of this conversation. Oh, and I have been at the receiving end of one of those "schmack" attacks and they hurt like nothing else on Earth. Except maybe for stinging nettles, but that is beside the point.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 15

Hammy of Hamster (died, still moving)

Stinging nettles?!
(Going off at a tangent!) How about when it's really cold (say November) and someone sneeks up behind you and flicks your cold red ears. Ouch that really smarts. Sorry for going off at a tangent; don't set the net-police on me.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 16

GidgetGirl

I have discovered that elastic ponytail holders are are very good substitution for rubber bands. This is especially useful if you don't have a rubber band handy and you meet someone who deserves a good "thwack!"


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 17

Kiz

I like to carry my rubber band(s) on my wrists to allow for easy access and for the stealth factor it provides, which is augmented when wearing a long-sleeved shirt and/or coat.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 18

Bistroist

Oh, how I long for the day, when you can buy Rubber Band shoulder holsters in every major Secret Agent Supply-store...


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 19

Hammy of Hamster (died, still moving)

that's great for u but doesn't it make rapid retaliation difficult at best. I like to have one wrapped around my thumb.


Rubber Band Weapons

Post 20

TechnicolorYawn (Patron Saint of the Morally Moribund)

No-one can beat my rubber band artillery.

On a variation on the 'rolled up bit of paper bent in half and fired from an elastic band stretched between 2 fingers' theme, at home I managed to get hold of some *HUGE* rubber bands about 2 feet long and about an inch thick. You lie on the floor and hook either en around you toes. I managed to get a rolled up sheet of newspaper about 30-40 metres like this.


Key: Complain about this post