broelan's photo gallery

0 Conversations

The following are photographs I've taken that have been applied to Edited Guide Entries.

The Chain of Rocks Bridge, on Route 66.
This is the old Chain of Rocks Bridge that carried Route 66 across the Mississippi River into Missouri. It was bypassed by a much more dull, artistically lacking interstate bridge (just visible between the water intake station and the bridge support; the white dashes are semi trucks) to the north, which carries Interstate 270. When the new bridge was completed the cost of scrap metal had dropped and it wasn't cost-effective to demolish the old bridge so it was left standing. It's open to foot traffic and bicycles, and is free of charge. In February, it's a good place to spot eagles from.

This photo was taken in April of 2007 from the Illinois side specifically for my Route 66 University Project.

The Ariston in Illinois.
This is the Ariston Cafe in Litchfield, Illinois, an old Route 66 Diner. We had taken a drive so I could take pictures, hopefully for my Route 66 project. What I had really wanted to see was the Skyview Drive In Theater, which is about a mile or so north of here, but I was disappointed to find they didn't have much of a marquee - nothing that would compose a nice photograph, anyway. The Ariston is still family owned, the food is great, and the owner came by our table as we were eating to chat. Very friendly place, I would recommend it to anyone. We also visited Henry's Rabbit Ranch in Staunton that day, but in the end I chose the Ariston photo. (Although the Rabbit Ranch is well worth a visit if you find yourself in the area).

This photo was taken in March of 2007 for the Illinois page of my project.

The bridge at Devil's Elbow on the original alignment of Highway 66.
This is the bridge that carries the original 1926 alignment of Route 66 over the Big Piney River in Missouri, a little ways south of Rolla. Although I had read about this while researching my project, I found it quite by accident on the way home from Hypatia's after the 2006 Hillbilly Meet. I have a fascination with bridges, and this one is in an exceptionally beautiful nook of the Ozarks. I had a hard time settling on a picture for the Missouri Route 66 entry. There is a spot just south of the bridge on the bluffs over the river from where you can see this bridge, the 4-lane Route 66 bypass and the I-44 bypass all in a row on the river.

This photo was taken 5 July, 2006, in Devil's Elbow, Missouri.

A trailer park.
This is a picture of a trailer park in St Peters, Missouri. I really wanted to take a picture of my own house (for the moment I do live in a trailer), but it sits on the corner of a curved road and isn't well situated to represent a trailer park (although I have to say it is a very nice representation of just a trailer). I had also taken a picture of a house in the middle of being set up on a lot in a park, but just couldn't frame it well enough in the space allotted. Come to that, given the size restrictions, this isn't a great picture either.

This photo was taken in May 2007 as a submission to the Photographers Group for the Trailer Parks entry.

Old Busch Stadium, former home of the St Louis Cardinals baseball team.
This is the old Busch Stadium, where the St Louis Cardinals played baseball from 1966 to 2005 (Big Red played football here too, before moving to Arizona). This was a beautiful, unique, instantly identifiable icon on the St Louis skyline that was demolished in 2005 to make way for the new Busch Stadium, a state-of-the-art ball park that looks exactly like every other new ball park in the US. I like this picture particularly for the shadow that falls across the field. The new stadium opened in April 2006, and the Cards won the World Series that season, so I guess it was worth it (not really).

This photo was taken in October 2005, at a playoff game I went to with my grandmother. We took the baby as well, who was less than a year old - it was his second game.

The flag of the USA.
When I started researching A3613871 for the Guide, what I was really after was to find out how it is determined when the flag flies at half staff. Who knew there would be so much to learn about how to display a coloured piece of cloth? From there I was curious to see just how many flags in my local area were being displayed by code, so I got into the habit of counting flags on my way to work and back. On average there are 90 to 100 flags on the 40-mile stretch of I-70 that I drive every day, most of which do indeed fall within the code. Of all those flags, this one is my favourite. It's huge, the colours are always bright and it's excellently lit at night. It belongs to a car dealership in St Peters, Missouri.

This photo was taken over the summer of 2007.

The Old St Louis Courthouse with the Arch in the background and the Keiner Plaza fountain in the foreground.
I had been meaning to take some pictures downtown for awhile. When the St Louis Visitors' Guide went to the front page with the same photo as the Missouri entry, I knew it was time. This is the Old Courthouse with the Arch in the background, taken from Keiner Plaza which runs along Market Street. On this occasion I discovered that the Plaza is quite the homeless hangout, maybe I should have mentioned that in the entry. (Nah.)

This photo was probably taken sometime in August or September 2007.


A Eurasier dog.
This is my dog Saki who, for the entirety of his life, we believed was a Chow Chow. I stumbled upon the Eurasier entry in Peer Review, and when I clicked on the official link to see what this Chow-mix dog was supposed to look like, I was quite surprised to see my dog. Well, not my dog, but several that looked just like him. And I finally realised why it was that I always thought other Chows were so ugly - because the shape of their faces is so different. Traits that we thought were odd for a Chow began to make more sense as we realised he probably wasn't a Chow at all.

This photo was taken 20 February, 2007, the morning we had Saki put to sleep. He was suffering a neurological disorder making it impossible for him to walk or support himself on his hind legs. He was 12 years old.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A14660174

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more