The Eurasier Dog

1 Conversation

A Eurasier dog.

The Eurasier dog originated in Germany in 1960, and came about as a result of crossing three different breeds: the Chow Chow, Wolfspitz and Samoyed. It was bred initially with the intention of being used as a watchdog and as a family-friendly pet.

Physical Characteristics

The Eurasier is classed as a medium-sized, Spitz-type breed of dog, weighing between 40 to 70 pounds. It has a tapered muzzle on a wedge-shaped head, a powerful jaw, and eyes which are slightly slanted and usually dark in colour. The dog's ears are small and triangular shaped, with curved tips, and a very distinctive feature is that it has a blue tongue! It has a thick bushy tail that arches over its back and for this reason it is often confused with the Siberian Husky.

The Eurasier grows to approximately 24 inches in height, with its body length generally greater than its height. It has a double-coat of hair - a thick undercoat with a looser, medium-length outercoat. The hair on its face, ears and the front of its legs is short, and the breed can be of any mixed colour with the exception of white. White patches or an all-white Eurasier indicates it's not been pure bred according to the standards set by the Fédération Cynologique Internationale1.

Behavioural Characteristics

The Eurasier is a placid dog, generally very loyal to its owners and their immediate family. It can be wary about strangers and needs to be watched when strangers are around - especially if they're in close proximity to the dog's owner and family. It's not known to be a persistent barker, so when it barks it's usually to alert the owner that a stranger is about or something is wrong. It is always on the alert, one of the character traits that makes it a good watchdog.

The dog generally doesn't like to be left alone for long periods and has an activity level best described as moderate. That being said, it requires firm handling and discipline. A minimum of an hour a day of vigorous exercise is recommended, and the dog enjoys being off the lead in suitable environments and having a good run around; it doesn't like to be kept caged or in a kennel.

Potential In-bred Health Issues

As with any specially-bred dog, certain health issues become common to the breed, and the Eurasier is no exception. Some of the more common things to watch out for are possible eye disease and hip displacement. It's not uncommon for them to put knee joints out also, medically referred to as luxating patellas. As with all dogs, temperament can change as they get older, and they can become 'grumpy' or sometimes even aggressive. It was thought this aggressive behaviour could be as a result of them being bred primarily as watchdogs, though there is no firm evidence to support this. It is more likely the result of the dog's normal ageing process.

Grooming

This is usually best left to an expert groomer due to the dog having a double coat of hair. Use a wide-toothed metal comb to keep the long fur free from tangles but don't over-comb or brush too hard as this will damage the protective nature of the coat. It's fine to bathe the dog occasionally but allow the fur to dry naturally after a rub down with a towel. It's not recommended to use a hair dryer, although if the dog is being shown at a dog show, for instance, then it has been known for hair dryers to be used to 'fluff up' the hair.

Eurasier Trivia

The Eurasier is, in general, an ideal family pet. It's loyal, friendly and is not known as a 'yapper' or 'barker'. It enjoys being in company but is difficult to train in specific tasks so discipline is essential. That being said, they are no more difficult to house train than any other pup. There are only around 200 registered Eurasiers in the UK, small in comparison to their home of origin, Germany.

When this breed was started in 1960 it was initially just a crossing of the Chow Chow with the Wolfspitz and was called a Wolf-Chow. Later that year it was crossed with the Samoyed and renamed 'Eurasier'. The breed was eventually recognised in 1973 by the German VDH/FCI Veterinary Association and other bodies worldwide, including the UK Kennel Club.

When the breeding programme started, the intention was not to go for a refined, uniform appearance but to ensure good character traits that would make a good watchdog as well as being a calm, family-friendly animal. This is still the guiding principal in breeding today; Dr Erik Zimen wrote the following about the main character trait of the Eurasier in Der Hund, München, in 1992:

A Eurasier needs direct human contact and attention and therefore he lives within the family circle with access to the entire living quarters of his family. It must be possible for him to take up contact with his human pack, but at the same time he must have an area that he considers to be his favourite spot, to which he can retreat to and rest undisturbed when he wants to.

1Standard Nr. 291 / 16.06.1999 / GB.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A31264553

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more