A Conversation for How to Survive Family Parties

The worst situation of all

Post 1

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

purely hypothetical of course and doesn't just apply to parties but any family visit

picture the scene - you (male) & spouse (female) [apologies for typecasting here] have recently (within the last few months/years depending on what happened) gone through a painful & sad experience (e.g. she miscarried).

spouse's mother (not getting any younger) just happens to drop the odd 'hint' about grandchildren once or twice every visit

IF YOU WERE SO KEEN TO HAVE GRANDCHILDREN WHY DID YOU WAIT SO LONG TO HAVE YOUR OWN CHILDREN???

grrrr smiley - sadface
rt


The worst situation of all

Post 2

Rains - Wondering where time's going and why it's in so much of a hurry!

You should reply along the lines of "why, when you're mature enough to look after them for us!"

If that doesn't shut her up then nothing will! Might cause a bit too much upset though.


The worst situation of all

Post 3

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

hmmmm don't like to cause upset... but thanks


The worst situation of all

Post 4

Rains - Wondering where time's going and why it's in so much of a hurry!

I try to avoid upset too...but sometimes my mouth runs ahead of my brain!

Sometimes it's hard to get people to back off without causing some sort of offence.


The worst situation of all

Post 5

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

*evil thought coming along* I've often hoped I had the guts to say "When my inheritance kicks in..."

But I actually like my parents, and my hubby's aren't that bad. At least they're off my back for a while as one of their daughters produced their first grandkid - so heat's off the other daughter and me!

YAYYYA!!!


The worst situation of all

Post 6

F F Churchton

Nah the worst situation ever, is if you bring a person you've been going out with for about 20 months then you've got people asking:

Why have'nt you got married yet?
When can I expect grandchildren?
What do you two do then?
Are you living together?

Just general sexual orientated questions coming from people who you've never spoke to in your life is a bad situation!!!


The worst situation of all

Post 7

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

Yep Tashalls, we're kinda hoping for the same situation with my sis-in-law at some point. One of my sisters already has a daughter (& they live near my parents) so that gives us some respite too!

I guess I was being a bit OTT when I said 'worst' obviously it's very subjective but it bugs me because my mother-in-law knows what we went through... and *still* asks.

Ho-hum...


The worst situation of all

Post 8

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

That's pretty bad form...

How's this though - when hubby and I made a one-week visit to his maternal grandparents and autns and uncles and cousins in Bisbane Qld (we live in Sydney NSW) the year after we were married, the only thing anyone could ask us was "so when are you having kids?" I found it even more amusing considering this side of the family has already produced:

9 children
26 grandchildren
19 great-grandchildren

I found it quite rude towards the end when that's the only thing anyone thought they could talk about with me, as though my whole life was (of course) leading up to that point, and that how could I possibly feel fulfilled as a woman or wife if I wasn't trying?

I just responded by asking (tongue in cheek) "haven't you had enough yet?"


The worst situation of all

Post 9

Rains - Wondering where time's going and why it's in so much of a hurry!

Now that's a good reply!

On a similar note, some of mine and my bloke's friends think that because we've been going out a while we should get married. Hence the following conversation took place between my bloke and his (older and engaged) mate.

"When are you and your bird going to get married, then?"
"When everyone stops asking us that question!"

You could say you're so busy fending off enquries about children you've got no time to make any!


The worst situation of all

Post 10

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

LOL


Key: Complain about this post