A Conversation for How to Survive Family Parties

Treat it like a party you want to go to

Post 1

HarpoNotMarx (((2*1)^6)-6-(2*8)=42

On the premise that you only get out of a social situation what you're prepared to put in, treat your family like human beings, respect their strange little habits but rise above all the embarrassing questions [Just posted cynical view on parallel thread] by showing interest in them. They really want to talk about themselves and you might find out some juicy goss about your Auntie Aggie. Don't spread it though!


Treat it like a party you want to go to

Post 2

Siletta Weaver, Keeper of exsessively long titles, Eclectic Mystic, Cynic, etc..

That's what I do, but I get along with my family.


Treat it like a party you want to go to

Post 3

Barneys Bucksaws

I think throughout the years I've pulled every possibe stunt to be as disinterested, and obnoxious, as possible at family parties. While I was growing up, the gatherings were always at our house - we had the most room.

At 3, aparently, I refused to allow a cousin to play with my new Teddy bear from England, and threw a right fit when he tried.

A toy-throwing match with one of my much-hated girl cousins was normal. And when I was about 10 I discovered her nick-name in the village where she lived, and called her Frog-Eyes every chance I got, right up till we were teenagers.

I either insisted on my very best party dress, or refused to wear anything but jeans and an old shirt of Dad's, depending on what would get the most adverse reaction.

I ignored the rest and spent time with Grandma.

I read a book, and wouldn't get drawn into any conversations.

I discovered my older cousins outside drinking at the cars, and joined them - they were having more fun! The rest of them, except my Dad and Mom (black sheep) were tea-total. At my wedding reception one of the cousins was feeding the old aunties punch - liberally spiked. I figured a family rift was coming for sure! It blew over.

Now my brother and I are officially the older generation. We lost the last of them this Spring. All that are left are a lively bunch, and we're free now to enjoy ourselves, and each other, and relax.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more