A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Schedule of Future Events?

Post 1

quotes

Is there anywhere online that you can see what major events are scheduled for the near future? So far I've only got St Patrick's Day and Mother's Day for the next week.

Post 2

Beatrice

Like a calendar?

Slightly seriously, I've started using a Google scheduler for joint/ family events planning, and it tends to auto-fill with public holidays and such.

Post 3

quotes

Beatrice, I'm interested in any future events which are newsworthy, so things like Royal Visits, or flights of solar powered aircraft, in addition to calendar events.

Post 4

bobstafford

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/uk/ might helpsmiley - smiley

Post 5

bobstafford

Also
http://www.wherecanwego.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrPqnBRD56dGe1o_WlZsBEiQAb5ugtwKbOAojH1rCLWwkTR3yx_HF9EpObkmUQIPqAJcc9YsaAi8A8P8HAQ

Post 6

Xanatic

I hear divination in chicken guts works well.

Post 7

Orcus

It's all bit nebulous what you want - how is someone else supposed to know what you consider major or not?

Post 8

quotes

Orcus, the things I want to know about are the same ones which turn up in the newspapers. They knew William would go to the Far East, and that Solar Impulse 2 would take off when it did; how do I find out about such things?

Post 9

Orcus

Still sounds nebulous to me - those are all subject to news editors whims on what's 'important'

Saying they were in the news is retrospective. I genuinely have no idea what you consider important - British royals visiting anywhere is completely unimportant to me. It wouldn't surprise me if much of his visiting was confidential and only released publicly at the last minute. Assassins would love to know his schedule I'm sure.

Post 10

Xanatic

The dates can also change, Solar Impulse was meant to have taken off a while ago.

Post 11

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Funnily enough I was wondering about this a while back - how to find out what's going to be topical or have some kind of topical tie-in.

I've managed to get myself on a media monitoring mailing list through work, but to be honest it's not proved that useful so far.

Post 12

You can call me TC

Basically you want tomorrow's newspaper today.

Post 13

You can call me TC

Seriously, though, you'd probably have to keep tabs on several different websites. Astronomy is one of the most predictable areas, but lots of others, as has been pointed out, are moveable.

In case you're interested, we have a solar eclipse coming up on 20 March in this part of the world.

Post 14

quotes

Otto, isn't media monitoring more of a marketing thing?
TC, thanks, that's something at least, I'll look up what's happening in the skies.
Orcus, FYI, the time of the royal visit to the Far East was announced last November.

The papers know where and when things are due to happen, around the world (and across the universe), so I'd have thought the internet would also be able to supply the information they have access to. Otto uses the key word; topical. I earn some pocket-money writing gags about topical subjects, so it would be useful to be able to prepare material in advance.

Post 15

Deek

You might just have stumbled on an u filled niche in the market smiley - ok

Post 16

Deek

Doh! 'unfilled'.

*** predictive text smiley - sadface

Post 17

SashaQ - happysad

This may be of some use for recurring events A3332233

Probably needs updating for the new Entries that have been added to the Guide, but I find it useful for the h2g2 Front Page topicals (your question is one the Eds ask ourselves often when trying to find interesting information to promote)

smiley - biggrin

Post 18

Icy North

Now, if someone could send me a forward schedule of winning lottery numbers...

Post 19

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"The papers know where and when things are due to happen" [Quotes]

That might be your answer, then. smiley - smiley Find a newspaper that regularly highlights events that you want to know about, and scrutinize its features. Most papers seem to have websites, so you might visit them regularly. smiley - bigeyes

Post 20

quotes

>>(your question is one the Eds ask ourselves often when trying to find interesting information to promote)

SashaQ, well I suppose that while I'm disappointed not to get a full solution to my question, at least it is heartening that I'm not the only one who's searching.

Key: Complain about this post