A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 561

Bluebottle

What's disappointing about 'The Empire Strikes Back'?smiley - huh
One thing I think we can agree with is that there's no need to watch 'Ewoks - Caravan of Courage' or 'Ewoks – Battle for Endor'.

<BB<


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 562

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Don't get me wrong, I like all of the episodes and certainly also Rogue One. Some more than others, though.

The Ewoks and especially Jarjar Binks I could do without, the latter being too goofy to fit into the otherwise very serious fantasy, if you know what I mean.

I haven't seen neither the tv films nor the animated series and don't think I ever will.

smiley - pirate


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 563

Baron Grim

If you want to avoid disappointment then skip I-III altogether.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 564

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I currently watch in the Machete Order. 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7. Absolutely no need for episode 1. When Rogue One comes out on Bluray I will start with it.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 565

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

With all of the argument as to "proper" order, and something that I have lived well without . . . (I was quite happy with Battlestar Gallactica the same beginning summer) . . .

I have the original Magnificent Seven, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Gun Fight at the O.K. Corral, and Spartacus to watch. I'm set for a while. smiley - smiley

Oh, and of course, some classics such as Cat Ballou, and Evil Roy Slade. smiley - winkeye


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 566

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Have you all read about the hypothesis that Jar Jar is a sith? His strange success in fighting, which is similar to "drunken style" kung fu, generally clumsy, but makes an amazingly coordinated dive into the lake of his people, being completely awkward but still able to influence people and even hang around the senate etc. The idea goes on, that the sith story had to be abandoned for the coming episodes because of all the Jar Jar hate.
smiley - towel


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 567

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I generally get all that I need to know of Star Wars from a television program . . .

The Big Bang Theory.

smiley - laugh


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 568

Baron Grim

Here's YouTube video explaining the Jar Jar = Sith hypothesis.

http://youtu.be/8yy3q9f84EA

I don't buy it, but it's interesting.


As for alternate movie theories I like the one about how Danny was the bully in Karate Kid.
http://youtu.be/C_Gz_iTuRMM

I also recommend The Ferris Bueller/Fight Club theory: http://youtu.be/COVY3QU-Utw


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 569

Vip

I have a feeling there is an element of 'you had to be there' for Star Wars. I came at Star Wars quite late, after having watched stuff like Star Trek, Firefly and Farscape. Heck, I saw Spaceballs and Spaced before I saw Star Wars. When you have seen the things that came after it, somehow Star Wars seems a bit cliched - even though it came first. While I get that that's rather unfair of me, I can't seem to find a love for it.

I've been rather more into Due South again lately. I tend to watch seasons 3 & 4 first, and then start again at the pilot and 1 & 2.

smiley - fairy


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 570

ITIWBS

A tongue in cheek asessment of "Star Wars"; if the Clone Wars that resulted in the destruction of the old republic and the Jedi knights were touched off, as it happened, by Master Yoda; and he and Obiwan Kenobee, who has a droid alphanumerical designation, zero beta one Kn zero beta; and all the other survivors of the Jedi order are members of the Sith; isn't all that a mite suspicious?

It raises questions about Master Yoda, for example, author of sinister and devious plots or hapless dupe?


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 571

Baron Grim

That reminds me of another issue I had with Phantom Menace. Yoda doing all those Shao Lin gymnastics in his fight scenes. He's got Force telekinesis, he doesn't need to do flips! It just seemed like the Lucas team at ILM thought that since they didn't need Muppeteers for Yoda they thought it would be "cool" to show off what their computers could make Yoda do. Yoda was "cool" because he was so stoic, mystical and had a calm strength in such a small, nonthreatening body.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 572

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I saw Star Wars from the beginning (Episode IV) an fell in love with this universe immediately. Mainly because the animations were so - well, out of this world, really.
Even though they were only in 2D it felt very much like actually being there.
Which is more than can be said about earlier films like Godzilla and Reptilicus smiley - yikes - probably the worst film ever made (in particular the Danish version). Check at own risk!

smiley - pirate


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 573

Cybercat: Part 2

I've only ever seen one star wars film. Tbh was never a fan of it anyway. Wouldn't mind seeing the Assassins Creed film though was a fan of the computer games smiley - smiley


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 574

Vip

Well, we have managed to sell our house, hurrah! Now all we need is to find a house that we like well enough to buy. I'm viewing five tomorrow, wish me luck!

smiley - fairy


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 575

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

smiley - goodluck Vip smiley - ok

I'll be selling my house and renting a flat instead within the next two years. We'll see how that goes smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 576

Pastey

Good luck VIP!


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 577

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Ummm, Vip - what happens if you haven't found a place when sign-over happens? Camp out until you find a place? To me, it sounds like selling the horse, and then hope to find the mule to pull the cart.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 578

Pastey

House sales with chains in the UK tend to work that the purchaser has put in an promise to purchase once the house becomes vacant.
The seller then has to find and promise to purchase a house to move into.

These purchasing chains can come with all manner of problems, such as being five or six (or more) links long and someone in the middle pulling out and deciding not to move. At which point everyone has to start all over.

We were very lucky, we bought a house an old lady moving into a retirement home was selling up, and we were renting previously, so no chain at all.


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 579

Vip

As Pastey says, we either find a place to go or we collapse the chain. We could move into rented but we have a break clause in our mortgage which would cost us about £5k.

Our last move was much easier as we part exchanged our house with the house builder - no chain. This time it is proving to be somewhat more stressful.

We did have a house that we were waiting for, but sadly it sold the day before we sold ours smiley - steam. While we could in theory try to offer a higher bid (called gazumping), we don't actually have the money to outbid them because we had the drop the price of ours to get it to sell.

It's a funny old business.

smiley - fairy


10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 580

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

We had no real problems buying this, our first house. It's pretty much early 1970's construction and details which is entirely comfortable for us both. Selling may be an entirely different story though. We have done some fair updates, but it is still far from modern fashions and styles.

I still am sometimes surprised that we've been in it for over 17 years - far longer than any other roof that I have lived under. The next longest was about 13 years, the one that I did most of my growing years in. In 21 military years, there were 7 communities but about 14 residences.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more