The h2g2 Post 06.11.08

1 Conversation


Posted: 6th November 2008


 

 


Pumpkins and Parties


In case you missed it, in the last issue we ran a whole load of pumpkin photos kindly provided by Clive the Flying Ostrich. They were absolutely superb, and I'm glad to report that not only did Clive do a batch for this year (you can see them on his Fotki page), but also that I've seen them in the flesh.


Clive sent a follow-up email to us with a link to his photos of this year's pumpkins, and I sent one back saying that he could bring them to my Halloween party if he wanted to. To be honest—and I told Clive as much when I picked him up from the train station a couple of days later—I was half-joking. You know, you send that kind of email and expect to get back a 'thanks for the offer, mate, but I live x hundred miles away and I have to be at work on Monday morning'. Clive, on the other hand, realised that I was only half joking and accepted the invite.


And so, for the third time, I found myself explaining to my partner and family that yes, I'd got someone staying with me that I'd met on the Internet, and no, we'd never actually met before, and yes, I was pretty sure he wasn't some kind of mad serial killer...


The most outlandish example of this was just the weekend before, when Gosho spent a few days with us. Gosho, as you may be aware, lives in Austin, Texas, and I live in Torquay, Devon. It was a hell of a trip to make on the basis that you enjoy someone's company online and the exchange rate is pretty good. Mu Beta, Odo, Beatrice and 2legs all joined us for the weekend, and we had a fantastic time. It felt more like going out for dinner with a bunch of mates than a meeting of Internet minds.


The big Meets are always good fun, but I've always found that I'm a little disappointed with the amount of time I get to spend with people. I go away wishing I'd chatted more to x, but when there are a couple of dozen people there you can only get so much of everyone's time. The smaller, regional meets seem to be more fun; there's time to meet everyone properly, the host knows where to go and what to do, and everyone still gets drunk and has a mad Irish dance in the corner of the local.


B'Elana has some interesting thoughts about Meets in this issue's Random Ramblings. Which brings me nicely onto the issue itself, without any need for my horizontal rule to separate my waffle from the important bits. There's plenty for you to get involved with in this issue; you can help to pick a winner in the 42-Word Stories competition, and Entry of the Month is back and waiting for your votes. We also have the final instalment of Whatever Next, and it really is a great finish. It's been a great series, and I hope the 'experiment' gets repeated. Well done to everyone involved.


We also have two new holders of the Post Reporter badge: minichessemouse, our wonderful poet, and Malabarista, artist extraordinaire. Mal should have had her badge last week, in fact, but a certain Editor forgot. Good job nobody noticed, eh? Anyway, congratulations to you both, and keep the excellent work coming.


The deadline for the next issue is Sunday, 16th November; in the meantime, enjoy this issue of The Post!


Skankyrich


 

 
FICTION & POETRY

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 
REGULARS

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

  • Musical Notes

  • h5ringer talks about Helen Vollam and the
    Young Musician of the Year competition


  • Work Experience

  • Galaxy Babe takes her son to the vet's...
    for work experience, of course!


 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 


 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A40543841

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more