A Conversation for Ask h2g2

9.9.1999 Happy Birthday to ME! (and many others)

Post 1

Baron Grim

I just realised it's my sixth h2g2 birthday.

9.9.1999 was a very busy day for a very young (pre Beeb) h2g2.

According to SEF's NewUser thingy A1157997 there were 35248 newbies like me signed on six years ago today.

Were you one of them? How many are left? If you weren't, are you jealous? smiley - evilgrin

Wow, how this place has changed over the years. smiley - towelsmiley - dontpanic

Post 2

Woodpigeon

smiley - ok

Happy Birthday Count Zero!

I was one of those people (U32019)..

smiley - peacedoveW

Post 3

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Happy Burpday!! smiley - hug

smiley - cracker Shall we have a paaaaaaaaaarrrttttaayyy!!??? smiley - divasmiley - discosmiley - bubbly

lil xx
smiley - magic

Post 4

Baron Grim

Heck yea! smiley - discosmiley - magicsmiley - divasmiley - discosmiley - magicsmiley - divasmiley - discosmiley - magicsmiley - divasmiley - discosmiley - magicsmiley - divasmiley - discosmiley - magicsmiley - diva

Post 5

Coooooooooool!! smiley - cool

I will go and get the drinkypoos and the eats smiley - run

Post 6

Woodpigeon

Ok, ok - my party trick...

smiley - whistlesmiley - puffsmiley - puffsmiley - runsmiley - runsmiley - roflsmiley - roflsmiley - somersaultsmiley - somersault
-------------------------------------------------------------------:smiley - yawn
-------------------------------------------------------------------:smiley - yawn
-------------------------------------------------------------------:smiley - cider
-------------------------------------------------------------------:smiley - zen

Post 7

Baron Grim

Oh, I wish the "who's online" thingy was h2g2 specific. Back when DNA was a small place I would pull it up and there would normally be very few people between me and Jimster at the top of the list... Ok... granted there are usually still very few researchers' names between me and Jimster, or Peta when I check but there are now like one or two thousand below my name. What's with that?

Post 8

Baron Grim

smiley - applause BRILLIANT TRICK! smiley - cheers

Post 9

smiley - erm the new DNA thingymabobs.. even lil ol' me is having virtigo at the top of the list smiley - yikes

Drinkypoos arrived!! smiley - alesmiley - cidersmiley - stoutsmiley - bubblysmiley - cheers

Food is here too! smiley - porkpiesmiley - crispssmiley - hotdogsmiley - popcornsmiley - burgersmiley - cake

All we need now is the smiley - disco... and before I forget.. here is your smiley - gift too.. smiley - smooch

smiley - divasmiley - bubblysmiley - magic

Post 10

Baron Grim

::opens smiley - gift::

How did you know I wanted one of these smiley - gift?

smiley - wow

Post 11

Woodpigeon

Currently online with low U numbers are

Kettu (U43427)
Freedom (U40491)
and Steve K (U56299)
Asteroid Lil (U81931)
and
Croz (U96736)

Post 12

Phil

Hello Count Zero. Thanks for the invite to the party. 6 years ago, what was I doing...

Working in a university, still doing that.
Spending too much time on hootoo, still doing that.
Enjoying the odd smiley - ale (or several), still doing that.

Places change, what I do remains fairly constant smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

Post 13

smiley - blush a little bird told me.. smiley - blush

Post 14

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit one of the very new Researchers smiley - winkeye
"Congratulations, well, it takes a lot of effort to keep visiting this site !

Even more to quit but that aside smiley - cheerssmiley - rocketboy."

Post 15

Baron Grim

I found this place when I got an email. I was looking for info on the highly delayed (typical of DNA) game, Starship Titanic. They sent me a rather ominous email with a link to www.h2g2.com. I really wish I still had that email (well, I might if I search my old computer, I might find it).

I think a lot of others that day found this place from some show called Tomorrow's World, or something like that.

Post 16

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

happy birthday

Post 17

Woodpigeon

Yes - Tomorrow's World is a science and technology programme on the BBC. A kind of "this is how the world will look in 20 years" kind of thing. Inevitably they get it massively wrong, but it has always been quite a fascinating programme. Douglas himself appeared on the show that launched H2G2, and his enthusiasm about his new website was infectious. The whole idea of creating an actual Hitchhiker's Guide was too big an offer to refuse.

Post 18

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I came here via the Starship Titanic. Does anyone have a flight schedule? I've been sitting here in the VIP lounge for ~ages~, it seems...
smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Baron Grim

I have a sudden craving for the chicken with mustard sauce. smiley - ermsmiley - drool

Post 20

aka Bel - A87832164

We did play Starship Titanic, but nanaged to solve it without any help, so I only got here after having read 'The Salmon of Doubt' - two years ago.

Key: Complain about this post