A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Lockdown.

Post 241

Teasswill

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I like to think that I would receive the same level of care as Boris, if in the same situation. He was in an NHS hospital, not a private one.
Trump's doctors just threw everything possible at him, (approved or not?) which might have been a bit risky. I don't think I would want the same care as him!

Lockdown.

Post 242

Baron Grim

One estimate, including his helicopter flight (typically air ambulance rides cost Americans $20,000+), and luxury suites, says similar treatment would cost $650,000.

Lockdown.

Post 243

paulh. Antisocial distancing works a well as the Social kind

I don't care about the luxury suites or helicopter.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/08/trump-covid-treatment-health-insurance
According to the New York Times, "Trump enjoys top Covid care that could cost ordinary Americans millions."

"One of the drugs Trump received was an experimental monoclonal antibody cocktail from Regeneron. This therapy is not available to the public, and may never be approved. Regular Americans cannot access it."

"Monoclonal antibody treatments approved over the last 20 years cost an average of $96,731"

"The president also received remdesivir, an antiviral medication with limited availability. Developing countries pay $2,340 per patient for a five-day course of treatment. But, everything healthcare-related is more expensive in the US. The list price for Americans is $3,120 per five-day course"

I do not mind Trump getting Remdesivir. I just wish it were available to everyone, at an affordable price.

Lockdown.

Post 244

Sorry, the link must have been The Guardian, not the New York Times.

Lockdown.

Post 245

Teasswill

Unsurprisingly it's the drug manufacturers who are claiming its effectiveness. WHO says not a significant treatment - but trials yet to be peer reviewed.

Lockdown.

Post 246

I don't have a lot of sympathy for POTUS, but I don't wish serious illness on anyone.

Lockdown.

Post 247

Baron Grim

I mentioned the helicopter and suites simply because they were included in the report I saw. While a typical air ambulance trip is outrageously expensive (and often not covered by insurance), and the outlandishly posh suite and conference rooms the president utilized at Walter Reed were not directly part of his treatment, his medical treatment was not something anyone else can access and the cost of which would bankrupt not only the typical American, but also their extended family.

Lockdown.

Post 248

Got it!

This is a very unpredictable virus. Some people hardly know they have it, the effects are so mild. Even some healthy people in their seventies through nineties come through pretty well.

But you know gets really nailed by it? People who are morbidly obese or who have emphysema or heart conditions. People of color seem to be disproportionately obese, and they have hospitalization rates six times the average when they catch Covid-19. They are also among the ones on the front lines when it comes o delivering stuff to people who are sheltering in place.

And Hispanics? Here's what the CDC says: "CDC’s weighted population data show that over 26% of US COVID-19 deaths were among Hispanic people, who represent only 18% of the total US population."

Key: Complain about this post