A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Imposter syndrome

Post 41

paulh. Bunnies are cute (There, I've said it)

Good points. smiley - ok

I remember "Johnny Dangerously" (1984) with affection. Instead of swear words, they said things like "Farging iceholes." smiley - laugh

Imposter syndrome

Post 42

Paigetheoracle

Thinking this you truly are? Yoda.

Imposter syndrome

Post 43

Paigetheoracle

I think with English half of it is the viciousness with which you can spit out the invective. Perhaps with the Mediterranean countries, it is more undercover because of the religious repression (God will hear me but you won't!).

Imposter syndrome

Post 44

I once read a collection of Shakespeare's insults. It was a fairly thick book. Maybe people relished Shakespeare because he was snarky so much of the time? smiley - smiley

Imposter syndrome

Post 45

Hoovooloo

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/16/impostor-syndrome-class-unfairness

Imposter syndrome

Post 46

The Left Reverend Doktor Baron Grim

Hmm... very interesting idea, (that "‘Impostor syndrome’ is a pseudo-medical name for a class problem").

I was skeptical that this was merely a political opinion take on the issue, but the writer develops a good argument.

Food for thought.

Imposter syndrome

Post 47

Paigetheoracle

Agreed. Look at my first post on this subject (page2). It is inferiority complex by any other name, brought on by people rubbing their nose in it of new boys. Like Dr Johnson said, comparisons are odious - meaning emotional ones of I am better than you or the Frost Report on class (lower, middle and upper, represented in turn by Ronnie Corbett, Ronnie Barker and John Cleese).

Imposter syndrome

Post 48

SashaQ - happysad

Food for thought indeed.

I went to private school, and enjoyed it because it had a strong academic focus so I could concentrate on what I was good at. That meant it didn't immunise me from impostor syndrome, as it promoted "the lie of education", but in being able to do what I was good at, it did give me more 'confidence' to offset the 'lack of confidence' (for want of a better phrase) of being a disabled person. On the other hand it probably wasn't a 'proper' private school in the sense used in the article, because it was in the days of Assisted Places so people were selected on academic ability rather than ability to pay, again focusing on "the lie of education" rather than "oratory, debating style and being able to push through your agenda at the expense of any kind of careful thinking, or discussion."

That definition of 'confidence' is interesting - however, it still relates to the Dunning Kruger Effect (in which careful thinking is not required), or the ability to conceal one's feelings of impostor syndrome (to give the impression that careful thinking is not required), as you said in Post 3, Baron Grim.

Imposter syndrome

Post 49

All the careful thinking in the world cannot immunize me against the people around me, some of whom swing 180 degrees in a moment, causing me to go back to the drawing board to rewrite my proposals for the umpteenth time. smiley - cross. It's a good thing I like writing proposals.

Imposter syndrome

Post 50

Paigetheoracle

I second that proposal!

Imposter syndrome

Post 51

Thank you. smiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post

Imposter syndrome

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more