A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Re-creating real people on film

Post 1

You can call me TC

Carrying on from the "DVD" thread, where I mentioned that I had recently watched the DVD of the Daniel Day-Lewis film of "Lincoln", I was prompted to go through a few recent films in my head in which British actors have played Americans. (Or other nationalities - there must be loads of them)

These days, they really work hard at the pronunciation and characterisation so that mostly the public and critics are impressed by the result.

When thinking about this I had at least three examples in my head. smiley - senior - now I can only remember one, and that's a film I haven't even seen, so I can't judge the accuracy of the accent:

David Oyelowo played Martin Luther King in "Selma".

I wonder if Christian Bale as Batman counts - he's Welsh, isn't he?

There are notable examples of the opposite direction, too

Meryl Streep has played Emmeline Pankhurst and Margaret Thatcher.
Renee Zellweger's Bridget Jones was a great success in my opinion (doesn't count, though, as she's fictional - there are loads of fictional examples)

The Australians probably have it hardest.

Russell Crowe's version of Robin Hood caused a lot of mockery (haven't seen that one either)

Nicole Kidman's English pronunciation is impeccable. She hardly ever gets to be Australian. What was that film where she even had to play an Englishwoman in Australia. (Was it "Australia"?) I didn't see her play Grace Kelly, which was supposed to be a terrible film, but no one actually complained about her version of GK.

Can't fault Hugh Jackman either.

But I digress. It's about actors re-creating real people, where the characters being depicted are from a different country than the actor.

Any others? Particularly ones that have been a pleasant surprise.

Post 2

Bluebottle

Australian Geoffrey Rush was an outstanding Peter Sellers in 'The Life and Death of Peter Sellers' (2004).

<BB<

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Let's add Benedict Cumberbatch as Boston's Billy Bulger
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355683/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_13

Johnny Depp has played characters on both sides of the Atlantic, including James M Barry ["Finding Neverland"], Whitey Bulger ["Black Mass"], Willa Wonka {"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"], and various fictional characters whose accents were regional.

Post 4

Pink Paisley

Although it doesn't sound likely, Paul Kaye did a remarkably good job of Terry Pratchett a couple of weeks ago. Not perfect, but TP is such a recent and large figure in (some of) our memories still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZqchjMpNY

PP.

Post 5

You can call me TC

The first few minutes of that film were so upsetting, I had to stop. Maybe this evening.

Post 6

Pink Paisley

There is a short interview with Neil Gaiman in the film. It is clear that he is still deeply touched by TP's death. I found that very moving.

PP.

Post 7

Fifty years from now, who will still be better remembered, Gaiman or Pratchett?

Post 8

Icy North

If I'm still alive in 50 years, I guarantee I won't remember either of them.

Post 9

I can't guarantee that anyone will remember your having said that, so either way you will be safe. smiley - smiley

Post 10

swl

Mel Gibson did a stunning job on William Wallace in the documentary "Braveheart"

smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post