A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Moving to Spain

Post 1

Deb

My mum & stepdad are looking into retiring to Spain (from the UK) in a couple of years so I thought I'd ask if anyone here a) has any experience of doing just that; or b) could recommend a good "moving to Spain for Dummies" book; or c) recommend a good website. I'd just like to be able to warn them of pitfalls they should watch out for, that sort of thing. Just Googling it brings up so much stuff and I have no idea what's reliable & what's not.

Any anyway, Google doesn't have that personal touch smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers

Deb smiley - cheerup

Moving to Spain

Post 2

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

A number of folks around here are still friends of Azahar - a woman who chose Spain when she ran away from Canada a decade or two ago. They might link you up.

Moving to Spain

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Lanzababy moved from England to Lanzarote a few years ago. But she's rarely around here now.

Moving to Spain

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain.

I know a guy who could give your mum and stepdad a good deal on umbrellas. smiley - winkeye

If they move to Pamplona, I expect they'll want to know when the bulls are running. The safest place to be somewhere else is between July 6 and 14. smiley - smiley

Spanish food has a lot going for it. Are they planning to learn how to cook it, or looking for tips on the best dishes to order at restaurants?

Moving to Spain

Post 5

bobstafford

Rent for a few months before you buy its to late when you one it if you change your mind.

Spain is fine but it is very warm in the summer, the countryside is dry and in some places feels desolate and if you are from the UK that takes time to get used to. The people are hard and there is more casual animal criticality to get used to. Most English residents hang out together in groups smiley - yuk

Despite that Spain is great if you are indepenant and can stand the heat.

If you like heat then try Turkey the people are much more friendly but are financially sharp (count your fingers if you shake hands)smiley - laugh but they are very friendly.

If you want a recommendation France, it combines the best of Spain/Portuagal, Turkey and the UK, the best people, best health, best system for UK nationals and house prices are good. If you want to nip home or expect visitors nicely placed.

PS I have lived long term in all 3 locations

Moving to Spain

Post 6

You can call me TC

Here are my immediate thoughts on the subject. You probably won't want to pass them all on to your parents, and I wish them well, whatever they do.

But: If you type "expats in Spain" on the BBC website alone, you get a lot of articles, such as this

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-15325647

So make sure you gen up well and give them all the information you find.

Speaking as an expat myself, I consider it an affront if you move to a country and don't learn the language.

In their position, I wouldn't leave the UK at this stage in their lives. By the looks of it, lots of people are giving up nice little homes on the South Coast to move to Spain, so perhaps they could just move further South and take over one of the homes of the couples who have gone to Spain. With global warming creeping up, the climate there should be just about right for the next couple of decades.

You do hear stories of people who move to the South of Spain and have great trouble coping with the summer heat, as bob has mentioned.

Moving to Spain

Post 7

A caveat: I intended to spotlight the possibility of crime in France, especially in or near the Riviera, but as this link shows, much of Europe is getting dicier:

https://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Culture/Crime-in-France

If there's little crime where you live in the U.K., might it be a good idea to look for similar conditions wherever you plan to move?

Moving to Spain

Post 8

sorry,

http://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Culture/Crime-in-France

Moving to Spain

Post 9

Deb

Thanks, folks, this is all useful stuff. I already read Az's blog so could ask her. I did think of Lanzababy but I know she's not around so much and also I didn't want to put anyone on the spot.

As usual, the denizens of h2g2 come up trumps smiley - biggrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

Moving to Spain

Post 10

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Thanks for the insight..I think I just might stay here on the south coast instead of moving to Europe..
smiley - winkeye

Moving to Spain

Post 11

At my age, even if the grass looks greener in the next yard, I'm not so good at climbing the fence to get there. smiley - erm

Moving to Spain

Post 12

You can call me TC

I wouldn't be worried about crime so much - at least not being bonked on the head and robbed of my savings and credit card, but of being duped because of not speaking the language.

Moving to Spain

Post 13

I agree, there is that.

Moving to Spain

Post 14

bobstafford

The French are ok its the Turks and Spanish that have a talent for that, but no worse than some parts of the UK.

So just be wary that all, after all its the foreignness that is the thing you have to get used to.

Moving to Spain

Post 15

Sho - employed again!

I'm not sure it's helpful to tar entire nations like that smiley - cross

For the OP and moving to Spain. Things to consider include your state of health. Spain is a long way from home and so what happens if, temporarily or permanently, one of the pair needs some kind of social care. Is that covered with your health insurance?
What about if/when you die? burial in Spain or repatriation of the body to UK for a burial and a plot where children/grandchildren can visit and lay flowers?

And the big one: Brexit. What happens to retirees in Spain then?

Moving to Spain

Post 16

quotes

Skype interviews are being held at our local hospital trust today, to recruit newly qualified nurses from Spain, because there's no work for them out there. We've all heard that the housing market is recovering in Spain, but I'd be concerned about moving to a country with such a drain on their talent.

Moving to Spain

Post 17

Deb

Thanks, Sho, those are good points none of us have considered.

I'm planning on getting them some sort of language course before they go. Mum's already mentioned she will be trying to learn the language.

My 9 year old niece was gutted when she found out Spanish classes being offered as extra-curricular at her school clashed with something else because she has to learn Spanish for when she goes to live with nanny & gaga smiley - rofl

Deb smiley - cheerup

Moving to Spain

Post 18

bobstafford

I'm not sure it's helpful to tar entire nations like that?

If that was my comment it is only what I have experienced, its only relatively minor and it is no use in denying it exists, it is after all human nature.

There are many good traits that make up for the short comings.

Moving to Spain

Post 19

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Canada is so huge and spread out that moving to another area is almost an entirely new experience. Some are of German stock as I grew with, some Scottish, some Irish, some Ukranian. Personally, I could never see myself living out the years in another country, but that is just me.

And I have learned a simple lesson years ago - there are bad apples in every national (or regional) basket. While you try to pick past and avoid the bitter and nasty ones though, you can find great enjoyment in all of the rest.

If the retirees have fair health, and cover their needs for medical considerations, it sounds like a helluva fine adventure.

Moving to Spain

Post 20

"I'm not sure it's helpful to tar entire nations like that." [Sho]

You have a point. smiley - footinmouth Nevertheless, finding safe places to live is a high priority for some people. If the trend is away from safety over broad areas, who can tell whether it can spread? Can I tar Monaco? It's so small that what happens anywhere in it is likely to affet the people who live there. Much bigger countries like Russia and India are diverse enough that you'd be better off considering villages or neighborhoods.

Key: Complain about this post