A Conversation for Ask h2g2

You know you're getting old when ...

Post 41

Smudger879n

Well done on the job find.😎 (if it's not a wind up?)

Yea! I remember them old matrix printers, they seem antique compared to modern ones.

I've upgraded my desk top to Windows 10 recently, and the tower still has the old 3.inch floppy disc inlet on it?😇

Geez! That makes me feel old😬

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 42

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I remember the smiley - wow factor of the 24-pin after versions of the 9-pin. Soooo NLQ ! (And just yesterday, I chucked about 40 3.5" floppies and a dozen LS120s)

Post 43

Cheerful Dragon

I still have a lot of floppies. A few have useful stuff on, which I really ought to transfer to more modern media.

I also have a few games that were written for Windows 3.1. They still run on Windows 7. It's the applications written for Windows 9x that won't run on XP and later operating systems.

Post 44

Teasswill

One's colleagues don't remember the previous version of films. Or didn't see Star Wars (IV) in the cinema when it first came out.

Post 45

Smudger879n

Quote......" which I really ought to transfer to more modern media"

How could that be done, as although I've still got the slot for the floppy discs, there is no power going to it?smiley - erm

I remember watching the first film of Star Wars in the cinema, but it couldn't hear most of it, as there were gangs of kids running up and down the isles?

But, I did get a chance to watch it in peace and quiet, when it was on TV, many years later smiley - cool

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 46

Cheerful Dragon

Some time ago I bought an external floppy drive because I needed something off an old disk. Even then I was planning to check my floppies, save the good stuff and then discard them.

Post 47

Our most recent laptops, I ordered an external (USB-connected) 3.5" drive - in case of final savings. But most of my discs were toast from humidity and age.

You know you are getting old when you get an ear pierced and feel a complete rebel. 30 odd years after so many others have done so.

Post 48

Teasswill

I got my ears pierced in my 40s. Girl who did them commented about not getting many older people having it done...

Post 49

The young gal that put a hole in mine did comment that I was about 20 years late. Most guys who leave military uniforms do it almost immediately.

Post 50

Smudger879n

When I came out of the Navy in 74, the last thing on my mind, was to have my ear pieced? smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 51

Last week, a guy was around to test my attic insulation for asbestos content. He is ex-military - served 5 whole years. And he is old, he said - 4 years younger than I am. Hmmm ...

I mentioned my 21 years in the uniform, and 16+ years after as an embedded contractor. "Yeah, that's good too"

Post 52

Smudger879n

Sorry to drag this "old thread" up! (Pardon the pun) but I've recently noticed another thing that reminds me that I'm getting old.

I seem to have slowed right down recently, can't seem to get my Mo-Jo going, I used to be so energetic and on the go all the time, my late wife was always at me to slow down.

I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that I became a pensioner a couple of months ago, or if it's the heart control pills they have out me on.

Everything seems to take longer to do, even just making my bed up in the morning, but the main one is walking!

I've been using a walking stick for years now, as my back injury has taken it's roll, but these days it seems to have slowed me right down. Even walking to the corner shop, which never bothered me before, takes me ages to do now?

In fact, I feel like a teenager trapped in an old mans body? smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 53

ITIWBS

I know what you mean.

No more swinging through the trees like Tarzan - (one of my teanage pastimes, along with daily mile swims).

Instead, on account of my late onset type II diabetes, I'm not even allowed to go barefoot indoors. smiley - shrug

Post 54

Smudger879n

Ah! that's sad, mind you, most of the floors in my place has hard wood flooring, and that is cold on your bare feet!smiley - winkeye

Another thing I've noticed, I get up and go into another room, then when I get there, I've forgotten what I went there for?smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.kk

Post 55

ITIWBS

I've had that problem since my late teens.

Bothers me less now than it used to.

Post 56

Smudger879n

I think our corner shop is moving all the time?

As it seems to take me longer to walk to it, every time I go there?smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 57

I have discovered an amazing thing. Thursday mornings are trash and recycle time - - - and my driveway seems about 8 feet longer each week. Is there some sort of planetary shift going on, that stretches some parts and kinda packs up some one else's?

Post 58

Teasswill

Two people tried to offer me an old person's seat on the bus. I couldn't be bothered to walk to the rear & take my back pack off, also wanted speedy exit.
Did actually slightly regret not sitting when bus swinging round corners...

Post 59

Smudger879n

One good thing about getting older is,........you are allowed to have what they call......"senior moments" these are the ones where you go into a room, then forget what you went in there for?smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 60

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

You know your getting old when.... you get a phonecall from the medical provider, and you actually get slightly excited about the prospect of having your own special bin in the house, just for sharps/needles smiley - seniorsmiley - ill - I seem to have bipassed the whole gradually getting old thing now, and just a aged thirty years in a year and a half smiley - senior

Key: Complain about this post