A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Recovering from Stockholm Syndrome - h2g2 after the BBC

Post 81

Z

The h2g2community consortium have asked the BBC for the technical information that we need, to make accurate technical plans, but they haven't been able to tell us at this stage, I expect it's commercially sensitive information.. They aren't in any position to start sorting things out with potential buyers until the legal conditions have been sorted out.

Post 82

Taff Agent of kaos

"" I expect it's commercially sensitive information.. They aren't in any position to start sorting things out with potential buyers until the legal conditions have been sorted out. ""

or MAYBE!!! they have finalised the deal with the new owners before making the anouncment

smiley - bat

Post 83

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

Sounds like digging in of heels to me!

GT

Post 84

Icy North

Just spotted that BBC FM&T have announced a vacancy for a service & release manager: http://jobs.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc01.asp?newms=jj&id=36784&aid=15069

Do you think I should apply? smiley - biggrin

Post 85

Effers;England.

That's one of the scariest things I've ever tried to read.

Post 86

Taff Agent of kaos

qualifications:- must be able to watch bambi without crying and knife your best beloved in the back without flinchingsmiley - ermsmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat

Post 87

Mrs Zen

Huh?

It'sa standard management role in IT.

I know it looks like gobbdygook, but it would look like gobbldygook regardless of what organisation was advertising it.

"Service" means it is about looking after existing systems not developing new ones, (which it talks about problem management, incident management, disaster recovery etc).

"Release Management" means it is also about taking the code that the Development teams have written and managing the process of switching it on - not that straight forward if it involves changing the servers it runs on and the data bases and internet connections those servers are plugged in to.

I've got a couple of pals who'd be great in that role if it were in West Yorkshire rather than central London. In fact, I might pass the link on to them anyway.

Ben

Post 88

.............Post has become available due to early retirement of Mr. Judas Escariot......

smiley - laugh
GT

Post 89

Mrs Zen

smiley - simpost with GT.

Post 90

Icy North

To be fair, this particular person wouldn't get involved with the transformation of the online services portfolio. The BETG is the Broadcast and Enterprise Technology Department, and they'll get involved with managing technology vendors.

Post 91

Taff Agent of kaos

cheers GT!!!!

someone is bound to blame me for that onesmiley - erm

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

smiley - bat

Post 92

Taff Agent of kaos

a generous salary in the region of 30 pieces of silversmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat

Post 93

smiley - ok

Good 'un, eh Taff???

smiley - laughsmiley - roflsmiley - laugh
GT

Post 94

Mrs Zen

*ahem*

Can we drag this thread back onto the question I asked when I first posted - about the future of the site after the BBC have relinquished it's interest in us?

I totally get why you are all distressed - Taff in particular, you made your point so well the other night when you talked about the party going on in the other room without you - but this thread is NOT set up to bitch about job ads that have nothing to do with the strategic decions which have landed us in this place. There are plenty of places here on h2g2 to do that.

This thread was set up to discuss how the community, the Guide and the site might work without the constraints and restrictions imposed by our current owners.

Ben

Post 95

Taff Agent of kaos

just going smiley - offtopic in the spirit of HooToo, and carrying on posting just like normal, as requested by the potential new PTB

or

PNPTBsmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat

Post 96

Effers;England.

I agree with Ben because these are 'interesting times'. Yes I'm as guilty as anyone for topic drift, but we need to knuckle down a bit at present with some of these threads, for the sake of our tomorrows.

Post 97

Mrs Zen

And just politely asking you not to, as I have always done when it seemed worth it, in threads which were about matters of substance.

It's a techy role, for someone whose job is to keep the servers running. It doesn't mention web or online systems at all, which suggests its for the Beeb's internal IT systems.

Hand on heart, the thing that irritates me is that y'all are poking shots at something which (a) is harmless (or "mostly harmless" smiley - winkeye) and (b) you don't understand.

To give you a feel for why this scrapes on my nerves; I don't comment on or criticise people who are battling long term illness and trying to deal with incapacity benefit or the benefits system **because I don't understand them**. Likewise, Taff, I don't comment on people in the forces or in the particular line of work that you have, **because I've not got the experience to have an opinion in the matter**. Now, this is not to say you can't comment - of course you can - it's just to explain why my reaction to your comments is "well, there's a lot of folk sounding off about a subject they know jacksmiley - bleep about".

Like I said, I really do understand *why* you are angry and feel betrayed, though I would never claim to undersand *how* you feel. I can see from your posts that you are all very angry indeed.

All I am saying is that this particular thread was set up with a specific topic in mind, and it's not really a good one for derailing into conversations about badgers and stuff.

Ben

Post 98

Mrs Zen

Thanks Effers. That means a lot.

Can I offer you a lovely cup of smiley - tea and a smiley - cake?

Post 99

Effers;England.

Yep you can, and gratefully accepted smiley - biggrin

Post 100

Z

I agree that we have no way of knowing if the BBC have made a deal with a buyer behind our backs, they may well have done. If the buyer is someone who knows and understands h2g2 and will do a better job than us then that's fantastic! It means I can get back to finding out more about tiny blood vessels in the brain. They're very interesting you know.. If they do then great - the site continues.

We're here in case they don't find anyone, and there is no one in the pipeline. In that case we'll step up to the mark and try and put the show on right here in the sever farm.

Key: Complain about this post